Killing charmed bear causes Erliter the Beggar...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Vintrastorm, Aug 31, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

...to attack.

I killed the giant + his (charmed) bear and when I transport back to town Erliter screams "Don't hurt me" or something like that, and attacks. I knocked him unconscious (and every other time I see him I do it again) and went about on my business. no problems until one or two nights later when I transport to Armano (?) who sells and buys wooden stuff and he attacks me too. I'm not sure, but I might have accidently killed Erliter right before...

Will something like this happen every time I kill of a charmed creature? How long will the charm effect last? can I travel to different maps with charmed creatures? I must try this now!

/ Jonis

2. maalri

maalri Immortal

I believe this is just coincidence.

Erliter is a beggar because you strong-armed (intimidated) him into paying his dues, right?

If so, that is why he is afraid of you. It takes him a day or two in game time to wind up as a beggar, and in that time, you just happenned to kill a bear.

If you killed Erliter accidently, that still gives you the Butcher of Homlett flag, prepare to be attacked by pretty much just about anyone in town.

Do you have an earlier save?

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Agree on the likely coincidence, but I suspect the cause is the same thing we've been discussing in shapecharge's thread - that an NPC's dying script failed due to the party leader who recruited the dead NPC being dead himself.

Erliter wouldn't attack you for making him a beggar. Also, most Hommletians don't attack Butcher rep holders anymore, just the Badgers. But, I did discover that beggar Erliter didn't have his script fixed, so that's why he did. They're supposed to just make insulting comments if you talk to them and run away if you start a fight.

4. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

Yup, I might hae strong--armed him.... no, wait, isn't he the guy who wants to convert, but doesn't dare to? Who works in the mill? If so, I just lied to him and told him that I hade spoken to his master and convinced him that it was ok. His master was standing right next to it. They really should learn to talk mor among eachotther. It would solve lot of their problems. :)

Yes, I had an earlier save. I'm to lazy for quicksaving so I just punch esc. save and don't neme them. The thing is that I did try maybe two or three times. I had saved just before killing the bear, and if I killed it and teleported back, he would go hostile. If I did not kill it and teleported back, everything was fine.

Soloution? I rested and returned when the bear was not charmed. Haven't had a problem since then.

As for the party leader, IIRC she was passed out but not dead.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah ... sometimes I have trouble keeping all this stuff straight but I think the charmed thing is known.

6. maalri

maalri Immortal

Yes, I believe Erliter is the one who wants to convert at the mill.

Lying to him would have gotten him fired, and he becomes destitute after a while, and he could be hostile about that, but yes, it appears this is more related oto a weird "BoH" flag than a pissed off bum and coincidence.

I shall leave this one to the professionals to figure out ;)

7. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

alright, just wanted to make it known :)

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I see that Erliter is a member of faction 0. The giant's bear is also faction 0 ("Wilderness" mobs are usually faction 0). So maybe that has something to do with it?

Edit: I couldn't replicate the problem -killing the Bear while charmed didn't cause Erliter the beggar to attack.
    Can you upload the save game? (including all files, IIRC each save has 4-5 files associated with it)

Edit 2:
    I see Erliter the Beggar's dialogue script has a bug in it - the conditionals are reversed, causing him to just speak out his floating comment.
    Gaear, since you're altering his script already, please modify:
    Code:
    if (game.leader.reputation_has(32) == 0 or game.leader.reputation_has(30) == 0 or game.leader.reputation_has(29) == 0):
    into
    Code:
    if (game.leader.reputation_has(32) == 1 or game.leader.reputation_has(30) == 1 or game.leader.reputation_has(29) == 1):

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  9. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

(I have the 6.1.0 nc version)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  10. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

(I think it's attached this time. As a Zip.)

Apparently not, at least I couldn't find it. Is the upload really really slow or am I doing something wrong?

11. chano

chano Established Member

Erliter is the millers helper right?
    I have bluffed him lots of times and he has never started begging in my games.
    The stealing farmer has become a beggar and i believe the brewers appreintice aswell but non else to my recollection.

12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

1. Click the "manage attachments" button.
    2. A window pops up.
    3. Click the "Select a file" button and choose the zip from your hard drive.
    4. Click Upload.
    5. Close the window.

If that doesn't work (no idea why it shouldn't, but just in case), try uploading to rapidshare or some such temporary hosting site.

Attached Files:

13. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

The thing is that when I click upload it says "uploading" in the box and stays like that. I left my computer for 15 minutes and nothing had happened. Will try to reboot later on and see if it works.

14. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Do you have a slow internet connection, or some type of firewall that may be preventing/stopping the upload?

15. Vintrastorm

Vintrastorm Member

I got it to work in firefox without a problem. I used safari earlier on.

Attached Files:

Our Host!