Jakk bug

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zagig, Jul 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zagig

Zagig Member

I found a reference to this bug in the old 5.0.0 bug thread, but no one has mentioned that it still exists in the 5.5.0 mod. If you cure bing before talking to Jakk or Terjon, bing is upset that you cured him and made him have to work. You can get orc blood to get bing to make masterwork items. However, Jakk will not talk to you. Thus, you cannot resolve the quest with Filiken's barn and Matilde or the carpenter's brother and Althea and obviously not the quest to convert Jakk. Any chance this will get fixed in the 6.0 mod?

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Not sure how Jakk is involved in the other quests because he's not in the dialouge path. How can you cure Bing unless you take the scrolls from the bookcase and don't talk to Terjon? The join the church quest is the only one he is involved in. Not sure exactly what is happening here?

3. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

You can cure Bing with any Heal spell, be it from a cleric of sufficient level or a Heal potion from Mother Screng.

4. Zagig

Zagig Member

I decided I wasn't going to do any quests right away so I went to the bookcase in the church and grabbed the healing scrolls and potion then went to the moathouse. Later, when I decided to do the quests, I used the heal potion to cure bing before I had talked to Terjon or Jakk. Now, Jakk won't talk to me and I can't do the quest to convert him.

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

If you talked to Terjon and got the quest and Jakk still wont talk, then the dialouge path/sequence is broken. You can go back to a save prior to the healing of Bing and try it again. Most of the Hommlet quests are worth 35-70XP, so you're not missing alot. He gives the best price for leather goods like +1 leather and boots of elvenkind, so you'd miss out on some money.

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There's nothing here to fix, btw. You had no reason to give Bing a Heal potion - probably one of the most precious items in Hommlet, btw: how many other lvl 6 potions have you come across? - other than metagame knowledge about what happens with Bing. You metagamed your way to a dead end: thats not a bug to be fixed.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  7. Zagig

Zagig Member

I'm not going that far back. I healed bing before I went to the moathouse the first time just so he could get to work on the masterwork items (I didn't know about the extra conditions). Now, I'm almost to 4th level.

I suppose you're right, ted. I've played this game so many times now that I guess I got ahead of myself. However, I do like to do the quests in different orders each time I play, just to see if anything changes.

For example, if you get the quest to convert Jakk from Terjon before getting the Cupids Arrow or Carpenters Brother quests, then Heal bing so that Jakk converts, Terjon will ask for something else instead in order to let Marek convert. Also, if you talk to the traders after figuring out they are spies, you can con them in return for your silence (of course, you've already told Burne that they're spies, but the traders don't know that) but if you talk to rannos instead of gremag, you'll have to pay for an i.d. later.

Our Host!