"It's all gone quiet" & "Dev Forum, Why?"

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Halk, Oct 5, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Halk

Halk Member

It's all gone quiet

Haven't seen many posts from the modifiers in a few days, have you guys got a forum that's only open to some of you, or are you just taking a rest? Seems to have gone peaceful :p

2. Wilson

Wilson Member

They have a forum that's only open to them.

3. Berkut

Berkut Member

I was about to post something along the lines myself... We are just aren't l33t enough to be let into "underground uber h4x0r only board".... That type of stuff might be good for some peoples ego, but effectively keeps info from “new coming†modders which just slows down modding / fixing bugged down game.... Ohh well...

4. Joviex

Joviex Member

Actually what it keeps out is a lot of messages that are basically of no modding value.

If you really wanted to contribute you can always try and pick apart the data files that are unknown. Anything discovered along the way has already been posted here, so anything not here, is unknown and ready for study.

Honestly, from the sentiment of your post, that is one of the key reasons there is another area for developers, so we don't have to waste time reading whinny messages.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.

5. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I have to say that I am quite sad the way this "community" turned out.

Originally the Circle of Eight forums for modding was very interesting with lots of ideas getting shot around. People that didn't have much experience with programing could learn and get started...

But once the developer only boards started the whole thing ground to a halt.

Might as well just put an end to this board since there is nothing happening. There is really no point in visiting this site as there is nothing new to read.

I was really excited about a mod community, but clearly this sight won't be a community forum since those with the most know how/or those who did it first have their own forums.

You folks can do what you want, more power to you, but in the end you are just going to stifle any community growth since you are exluding yourselves from the community.

It is a disapointment, in my opinion.

Give a woman a fish and she won't be hungry for a night, teach a woman to fish and she won't be hungry for life.

6. Berkut

Berkut Member

Keeps messages of no modding value? Somehow I doubt you guys are talking about weather on that board.... Starting modders have no idea what's being worked on by others, because unless you were blind you will see posts such as "Anybody working on such and such? Should I keep working on it" on this forum, which went without a single response from anybody or any other l33t modders...

Whinny messages? Call it all you want, point was made and if you are so short on time, then nobody asked you to respond in a first place.... Since modding movement started I sure haven’t seen all that many of those enough for you to complain about your burnt time.

I have great respect for everybody who is modding TOEE and being following movement since it started. I am not a hard core modder, but starting with hex editing and minor scripting I've kept myself busy, just not enough to distro my efforts. Just mostly being passing gathered info to everyone who asked... Now extreme lack of info on this board is hardly comforting though.....

Sorry if this also sounded harsh, but I am sure some other people in my shoes feel similar way… Good luck…

P.S. I had a feeling about everything turning out the way it currently is from moment I saw password on zip file..... :(

P.S.S. Livonya worded much better then me, I was more defensive in responce of Joviex's post... Sorry

Last edited: Oct 6, 2003
  7. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

Where is everybody else anyway?

Ugh. we should probably close the dev only forums and just move to the General Editing section on this website. It can handle the load and as it is, both sites seem VERY EMPTY because nobody is posting anything.

I liked it when we first opened, there were ideas being thrown around and a lot of work being done but right now it all seems pretty deserted because of the split.

Guys, feel free to throw your ideas around here.

8. Ausir

Ausir Beholder Overseer Veteran

Yeah, i'm for closing the modders only forum too.

9. Erik

Erik Member

Close the modders only forum and also remove the requirement to register to browse this forum! Of course it is quiet when you do everything you can to keep people away... Also keep posting on the Atari forum and add a link to this forum in your tags.

/ Erik

10. Ausir

Ausir Beholder Overseer Veteran

Huh? I think the registration is no longer required to browse the forum.

11. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

12. Halk

Halk Member

While I do agree with opening the 'super secret' forum :p I also think you might want to avoid the people who post, in good faith, with ideas but no idea how difficult they would be to implement, or how to start it. As well as people just cluttering things up...

Perhaps make it read only?

Anyway, the reason I asked is that the suggestion on masterwork items, I asked if there was interest in it, and the thread hasn't been replied to.

I'm quite happy to edit the dlg files myself, but I'm going to need someone to insert objects where required. But I didn't realise there was another forum, I just thought it'd gone dead in here. Possibly because the easy to fix stuff was fixed, and the rest takes significantly more knowledge or time.

13. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

The super secret forum is more or less a very inactive sort of place with a total of 27 members, none of whom have posted in the last day (except myself).

It'd probably be better if we all just posted here and abandoned the whole private forum thing altogether, which was started because we had some issues with server loads on our previous hosts.

14. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

Then lets get rid of it, if this forum does not have such issues :). I avoided the MW thread because I hadn't done anything with MW stuff at all code wise or game wise until this weekend (game wise). Though you might want to start another thread for evil only quest debate :) I would of never thought to check that thread for quest stuff. I also misunderstood the topic, I thought it meant changing the MW properties, ie damage and such, not when they'd be available and such...

15. Vaevictis666

Vaevictis666 Established Member

I believe the purpose of the dev forum was a spot to discuss spoilers out of sight of the public, and to coordinate builds and stuff. The reason this board has been dead is because everybody's disappeared - my net went down over the weekend, and I'm in the process of moving. I think Nomad_Wanderer is in the same boat. Hopefully things will pick up later this week :p

Our Host!