Is spike chain the only finessable extended weapon in ToEE?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Encomium, Jan 5, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Encomium

Encomium Member

Hey,

Title pretty much says it all. My rogue had a spike chain last playthrough but after finding out that the extended weapons like glaive and longspear don't have a 'doughnut' attack range I switched to a longspear-wielding rogue for this playthrough, but after reading through the in-game help menu there's nothing to elucidate whether finesse is going to work with any other weapon matching the chain's range.

thanks for the help

2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

"Doughnut" attack shape? Don't all reach weapons in TOEE just have double the range? (i.e. you can still attack enemies both 5 and 10 feet away?)

None of the other reach weapons are finessable, but a STR-based character would probably benefit more from using a glaive or ranseur, especially since they don't require taking an exotic feat.

3. Encomium

Encomium Member

well, the doughnut-shape is just standard DnD, and a fairly common trope in RPGs. Even the in-game help function states (with glaives, spears and so-on) that "you can strike enemies 10ft away from you, but you can't use it against an adjacent foe." That's why it surprised me when there were seemingly no penalties to striking adjacent enemies with a glaive, and hence my switch in this playthrough from spike chain to (currently) longspear for my rogue.

A glaive might be the better weapon, sure, but that's a different issue. This rogue raises dex to maximize his AoOs through combat reflexes and does most of his damage through sneak attacks and enchantments. I'm not making any claims about the potential of a str-char with glaive (which is the build for my two other meleers), but that's a different build. The fact that the rogue is raising DEX makes the weapon finesse option worth exploring, and ToEE has very limited in-game info about which weapons are finessable.

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Hmm, I honestly never noticed any penalties within 5-foot range with a chain either. I think it's a TOEE "feature" that applies to all reach weapons. Which is why I was surprised you mentioned the doughnut shape, since I never actually saw it work in TOEE.

5. Encomium

Encomium Member

yeah .. sorry if I came across as unclear. There is no penalty to using an extended weapon at a short range. The in-game help menu, however, DOES state that it should be impossible, which is what confused me/brought up the doughnut thing.

thanks for answering my question Ausdoerrt.

Our Host!