Is it possible to change the animations of BG2 and ToEE PCs and NPCs?

Discussion in 'Models, Animations, and Particle Effects' started by ioannis76, Sep 3, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

Well, I have a book about medieval warfare (swordplay and the like) and I was wondering whether it would be possible to mod various moves animations in ToEE rather than just the normal one move for normal hit and one move for a critical hit which are given in the game.
    I am currently playing again BG2, with a mod called Shadows over Soubar. I have not seen any modification of BG2 fighter animations, so I was wondering whether anyone knows anything about that.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

No idea on BG2 but I'd imagine at some point it may be possible to mod animations. Not that I can do it or will ever be able to do it. Not that it will be easy either.

I'm sure this will be related to the work Leksey and Agetian are doing on models. Eventually it may/will be possible but right now the answer is no.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

As above, Agetian is trying to get a model modder plug-in for ToEE, but it ain't happened yet: model modding is our last frontier.

If u can do hard-core animation, have a look at some of the stuff Ag has already posted on the subject.

4. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

I don't know much (to be honest I know next to nothing) about that stuff, but based on what I know from people who were modding another game (Rome Total War) you need the program that was used in the animations when they were making the game. Rome, for example, was using 3D Studio Max. If we knew what ToEE is using we could be in business.

5. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

ToEE uses a proprietary format to store its 3D models and animations (SKM/SKA). Originally I think Troika used Maya to develop models, then they used some custom utility or plugin to convert models into their proprietary format. Obviously, we don't have access to the proprietary formats of Troika and the original utilities and plugins, therefore, we are completely on our own.

I spent some time researching the model and animation format, and I'm still at it as my time permits. I'm sending all the information I dig up to Leksey who is making a 3DS Max plugin that would allow importing and exporting models. A preliminary version of the Co8 plugin for models has been released by Leksey over at the General Modification. Soon, hopefully a new version will be made which will add the support (at least basic) for animations.

- Agetian

6. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

Would Troika have these tools still? (Someone from Troika I should say). Or would Atari be the ones with this program?

Has anyone gotten an answer from a Troikian about this area?

7. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Well, I have some contacts in Troika, and I've spoken with them extensively in the past regarding the possibility of release of the official toolset, or at least some of its parts. Unfortunately, this problem is rather complicated and does not have a simple solution. Yes, Troika members have all the official tools. However, they can't release it to anyone for any reason due to the fact that they are prohibited to do this by Atari. Atari is the company that can give them a permission to release the toolset. However, they'd need the permission from WotC, which shouldn't be too hard for them to get in case they would really like to get it. Yet, Atari seems to hold a position where it doesn't release any parts of the ToEE toolset publicly or to any third party. I don't know why exactly, probably because it concentrates only on its latest games, like Neverwinter Nights 2. So, there seems to be no solution for the problem at the moment. Options may become available in the future, if Atari will become more talkative or will change their marketing position (which I doubt), so stay tuned and see what happens next. :)

- Agetian

Our Host!