If You Could Play Anything on the ToEE Engine ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaear, Jan 5, 2011.

Remove all ads!
?

If you could play anything on the ToEE engine, what would it be?

1. The Goldbox games (Pool of Radiance, etc.)

14 vote(s)
    17.5%
  2. The Baldur's Gate games

15 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. The old Greyhawk modules like ToEE

40 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. My own favorite game, which I'll list below

11 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. None - don't bother

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

... What would it be?

This is just for consideration and should not be seen as an indicator that Co8 is about to venture down the 10 year development path of recreating an entire RPG.

Write-ins welcome.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Any would be fine. But I chose Greyhawk modules because it would be easiest to do.

3. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

I, too, would love to see the Greyhawk modules - preferably one similar to ToEE that had nice mix or outdoor locales, NPCs interaction and dungeon crawl. It's been years since I've played them, but I seem to recall really enjoying the Desert of Desolation series, Egg of the Phoenix, and of course all the Gygax modules (although I think to make the GDQ series interesting you'd need to update with more NPC interactions similar to the Hommlet quests...)

4. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Ideally, it would be unique modules that are created by fans using an easy-to-use ToEE World Builder program.
    Failing that, then it would be randomly generated campaign worlds (modules) that are created by a program that randomly generates an entire game-world (module).
    Failing that, then it would be modules created by the Co8 team which are either unique modules of the Co8 team's creation, and/or adaptions of classic PnP D&D modules (especially Ruins of Myth Drannor and Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil), and/or classic D&D computer games (especially Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds).
    I myself would create a unique, enormous module for the Circle of Eight Modpack if I was able to use the ToEE World Builder to create a module.

My favourite D&D campaign settings (in order from most favourite to least):
    1. The Forgotten Realms
    2. Dark Sun
    3. Planescape
    4. World of Greyhawk
    I've never role-played in Eberron but the Warforged race seem really interesting to play.

My favourite PnP D&D modules that I've role-played (in order from most favourite to least):
    1. Ruins of Myth Drannor (this has to be the best PnP D&D module ever! Enough said)
    2. Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
    3. Ruins of Undermountain (the PnP module itself is pathetic because it leaves the dungeon empty for the Dungeon Master to fill in with monsters of the DM's choosing, but the setting of the adventure and the dungeon design layout are awesome!)
    I can't remember the names of all of the other PnP D&D modules that I've role-played (except for The Temple of Elemental Evil). Besides, my Dungeon Masters liked to run D&D adventures that used half of a PnP D&D module and half of their (i.e. the Dungeon Master's) own creation.

My favourite high-fantasy computer games of all-time (in approximate order from most favourite to least) (I'm sure I've forgotten many others, but these are the games that currently come to mind):
    1. The Temple of Elemental Evil: A Classic Greyhawk Adventure (patched with the latest Circle of Eight Modpack NC)
    2. Baldur's Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast expansion
    3. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal expansion
    4. Knights of Legend
    5. Pool of Radiance (1988)
    6. Curse of the Azure Bonds
    7. Secret of the Silver Blades
    8. Pools of Darkness
    9. EverQuest
    10. Helherron
    11. Runesword 2
    12. The Bard's Tale II - Destiny Knights
    13. The Bard's Tale III - Thief of Fate
    14. The Bard's Tale - Tales of the Unknown
    15. Diablo
    16. The Lords of Midnight (1984)
    17. Diablo II & Lord of Destruction expansion
    18. Eye of the Beholder
    19. Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
    20. Warcraft: Orcs & Humans
    21. Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  5. ManosFate

ManosFate Rot Grub Host

PS, I also think for name-recognition alone, you might draw in some old-school players if you could convert some of the older Judges Guild modules. While I haven't read those modules in years, I remember enjoying Dark Tower way back in the day and I suspect getting the rights to those modules would either be a) relatively easy as I don't think they're still publishing or or b) relatively impossible as you may not be able to find the copyright holder.

Still if you have a new game engine - I'm looking at you @Darkstorm ;) - and you're looking for some name-recognition content, then it may be worth some noodling.

6. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I'm all for a Baldur's Gate recreation. I've always wanted to play it on 3rd ed. rules. :D However, I wouldn't mind seeing a completely new adventure, even if set in a familiar D&D world.

Ooh, Planescape would be a nice world to explore. I LOVED 'Torment'.
    Hey, are you able to make new models and animations? I remember that Darkstorm
    cracked the format for his recreation project but was it of any use in ToEE engine? :O

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  7. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Shame that one is limited to just one vote.... :(

Baldur's Gate for me, most definitely. Closely followed by those wonderful, Gold box games!

8. kio11

kio11 Established Member

id just keep playing toee but travel outside the map

9. Cloudsprinter

Cloudsprinter Member

1.Eye of the Beholder I or II
    2.Any / All Gold Box Games!
    3.Counterstrike

that's at least four, sry;)

10. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

I like the idea of a multimodule (like ToEE started out as) of the Giants series (which becomes the Drow series), the Slave Lords series, and such.

Don't we have Baldur's Gate aleady? Of course I've never played it; my best exposure to BG is Captain (Somebody)'s transcripst featuring Urrgzob and Hieroneous Napalm (sic).

11. stage

stage Member

Well what better then getting a Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil :D

12. Number99

Number99 kicking Iuz

The idea of Balder's Gate turn based like Toee. Nice...

Icewind dale would also be great...

Wonderfull dreams!

13. Scoop

Scoop Minion of Set

My first post! I've always loved this forum, and am very impressed with all of the hard work and dedication that everyone has put in to make this so enjoyable. I would like to put in a vote for The Lost City (B4). The module is only partially complete, leaving a lot of room for the modders to "freelance". Plus I think it would be nice to have a desert scenario. I also like the ideas of using old Judges Guild modules as well as the Giants, Slavers, Drow series. The 2nd ed. Undermountain boxed set would also be awesome. I would prefer something that hasn't already been done as far as computer games go, but i would pretty much go for anything. All the work the Circle of Eight has done already is very impressive. Thank you for making TOEE and KOTB relevant again. Best Wishes.

14. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Thinking outside the box, what about a recreation of the Boot Hill RPG. Someone has already made the pistol, so we just need a rifle, and maybe some horses to ride.

15. vectner

vectner Member

I would love to play Against the Giants and the Drow series. Leading up to QDP.

Our Host!