Ideal or preferred order of events.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by JerryB, Aug 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Considering all of the great material that has been added to this game by CO8 mods 5.0.0 and 5.0.1, Maybe we should take a look at what adventures the party should pursue in order to get the most from the game, and in what order or at what time these events should be pursued.

Contains spoilers if you scroll down.

For example of what I'm talking about, from the basic game the party should clear the Deklo wood, now including the 5.0 expansion, first after some basic Hommlet dialogue quests.

The next logical course of action is to clear the moathouse. Follow by setting up the future encounter with the assasin.

In the original version your journey to Nulb and associated quests would follow, or the Meadows. Now the Orc cave prespawn is included in this list of possible things to do third.

At some point the assasin will attack. Go retaliate and set up the target of revenge encounter.

Next would probably be Emridy Meadows part one, then the Orc Cave, then Nulb, except for the newly suicidal fishing expedition. BTW, who triggered the Sea Hag to come running from off screen as soon as the frogs attack? (That person needs to be slapped. Hard.)

I'm thinking that the Hickory Mod (Go Krunch!) would be a logical next step, then go get that Giant Gar. Buy a house.

Then the broken tower, followed by the second part of Emridy Meadows and Moathouse re-spawn.

Enter the Temple proper. Have at it in the dungeon until too loaded with treasure to walk, or until you are out of healing spells, whichever comes first.

Return to Nulb if you haven't yet had the target of revenge inflicted on your party, otherwise head to Verbobonc.

Anybody have any other ideas for the order of events, or want to include anything that I left out?

2. mos

mos Member

This is a good idea, there's so much to do now.

I had a few questions, but I think I'd rather figure it out on my own, and I'll come back later with a new party to see what I've missed.

I only have one thing to add:

I volunteer to do the slapping. I just got done with that fight.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Its an annoying element of that fight, but its always been there afaik. Sometimes u get lucky and can deal with the frogs by themselves, but its not often.

4. JerryB

I don't know Ted, in the 4.0 version I did that battle a couple of times, as I had restarted the game with better feat selections for the PCs, and unless someone went off too far to the left after the frogs attacked, the lizard men and the hag stayed put. This gave you a chance to catch your breath and heal some wounds after dealing with the frogs.

Now since 5.0 the frogs hit you, then the hag and her troops come running right away every single time. I had to reload from saved games five times to get past this battle. It'd be as if the Kobolds started to arrow webbed characters to death on round two in the Deklo grove. Doh, I should not have said that!

At least the gar doesn't charge in yet without waiting for the PCs to disturb it, but then maybe I shouldn't have said that either.

I'm very impressed with 5.0/5.0.1, except for the changes to this particular scenario.

5. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

To the best of my knowledge (and I put 5.0.0 together) no one did anything to trigger the Sea Hag and her cronies. The only thing that was changed on that map was the Sea Hag and Behemoth King Frog protos, and clearing the hard coded data in the Behemoth King Frogs MOB so that the proto changes would be reflected in the game. Perhaps the Sea Hag now has the proper (higher) spot and listen skills which allow her to react to the party earlier. That is the only thing I can think of.

6. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

This has always been the case, depending on party size and positioning. Sometimes the hag and co. don't notice you, other times they do and join the fray. It could be possible, as CB said, that the sea hag and lizardmen's corrected Spot scores have increased the chance of them jumping into the fight.

I've always found this fight to be a good place to use the scroll of Stinking Cloud from the moathouse.

7. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

I've always been mobbed on two sides here :)help: ), even way back using only the Atari patches--I couldn't win at first, so I went to the Atari boards for a hint or two, and read that people dealt with the lizardfolk ^after^ mopping up the king frog & co. Sadly, it never happened for me. :tears: Eventually I learned to enjoy the challenge--no harder than the Target of Revenge ambush when the assassin joins in! :) Kalshane's suggestion here is a good one--aoe is your friend, anything which delays multiple enemies.

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Fireball works nicely on the lizardmen, too.

9. mos

mos Member

I succeeded by webbing, then fireballing, the lizardmen. Then deep slumber took care of the seahag.

Normally I don't coup de grace anyone sleeping (paladin), but I really relished doing it that time. :evil_laug

10. MacRican

MacRican Swashbuckler

I had the gar jump into the battle one of the first times I tried that mission under 5.0.0. My crew was fourth or fifth level I think. Either way, between the lizards, the frogs and the gar, they died horribly. Thank goodness for the saved file before the battle and in Nulb.

11. JerryB

I got past this one on the fifth try by preemptively webbing a group of lizard men that were off the map and out of visual range, and then charming the one that broke free and charged into the battle with the frogs. On the third round a fireball eliminated the trapped lizardmen.

I was able to do this because on that one occasion my wizard hadn't been singled out and grappled before he could cast a spell. The battle with both frogs and the seahag was still vicious for a party of five fifth level characters, even though I had a lizardman ally.

With the wizard grappled there was no way to both fight off the seahag and company while trying to defeat the behometh frog before he could kill the swallowed wizard. I'm not sure if it's just too high a difficulty level, or missing from the game, but in five tries through this battle I didn't succeed in breaking free from the frog's grapple a single time.

12. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

what is the second part of emridy meadows? do you mean the giant? cause i have that done before i ever see the moat house. i do all the homlet guests first then the grove then the meadows clean it out all together. a trip to the moat house to pick up another level then the orc cave then back to finish the moathouse. then the assassin hits, go back take out the traders and trigger the revenge. after that to nulb do all the quests i can in there including the gar. then into the temple to working for the earth temple a lil bit then turning on them. so by the time i reach the girls to reascue im at 8th level then its a few trips to verbonic then the rest of the temple.

13. Shiningted

I should imagine if people are now drawing the hag in more than before, it is probably due to party size: they know not to turn up there short-handed.

I tend to use Web myself - like the Giant, I prefer doing this with a low-level party for the challenge, rather than sitting around waiting for lvl 5 then fireballing everything. B*****d of an encounter though!

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

in my most recent games, I've been playing the game in this order...

Start the game, open the console, teleport to Verbobonc, run around testing this and that, then starting a new game....

But then again, that's just me :)

15. Shiningted

If we can substitute 'Verbobonc' for 'any number of other mods', I think that is many of us Al ;)

I got a shock the other day when I ran the game and it came up with blue titles, in my experience they are usually orange :p

Our Host!