i call upon ye for help

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Enneigard, May 30, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Enneigard

Enneigard Ogre Chieftain

a couple of weeks ago i caught a really bad spyware on my computer. ("Instant Access" "funfunfun.dll) i used a system restore & spyware destroyer (+3, keen) to get rid of it, but my TOEE dissapeared. :suprised: i tried to install it but the damned data3.cab file keeps having a cyclic redundancy check. i am at a loss. is there any way to get a clean undamaged version of the file to my computer, let alone play the game without the CD?

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

That's a 598,084 KB cab file on the Play CD disk.

My suggestion is you clean the CD disk.

Do NOT use paper towels and do NOT use Kleenex paper.

Use DRY tissue paper, as in common toilet paper - it does not have scented oils or other chemicals in it [it's completely dry], and it does not have any greasy residual material on it.

Put the tissue paper in the palm of your hand and hold it in place with your fingers. Extend your forefinger [The finger next to the thumb.] and wrap the dry tissue around your forefinger until it's tight. Use the other hand to hold a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Put the tip of your forefinger with the tissue wrapped tightly around it over the top of the open bottle of rubbing alcohol. Lift the bottle of rubbing alcohol with the tissue wrapped finger on it and quickly turn the bottle of rubbing alcohol upside down and, immediately back right-side up. Now, the tissue should be wet where your finger was over-top of the open bottle. If you don't do that real fast, you end up with a sizeable mess to clean up. Don't put the tissue down.

Hold the CD disk upside down in the same hand you held the bottle of rubbing alcohol. Put your thumb in the middle hole of the CD disk and maintain a grasp of the CD disk using your fingers to hold the outside edge of the CD disk. You should apply pressure from your fingers inward against your thumb.

Here's the tricky part. With the tip of your forefinger covered by slightly wet tissue paper, make small circular motions between the middle of the CD disk where your thumb is at circling around out to the edge of the CD disk and back around to the middle of the CD disk. Make two or three revolutions of GENTLY [I can't say GENTLY with enough importance.] wiping the CD disk. Move your hand clockwise a little bit and make two or three more revolutions. Slowly REPEAT this same process moving your hand with the tissue clockwise, more and more clockwise to the right and back around to where you started, until you have wiped all the way around the CD disk.

Start with a new dry clean amount of toilet paper and repeat the process, except this time the tissue paper should NOT have any rubbing alcohol on it.

Good luck!..

In case you want to print it out, a PDF copy is attached below.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2006
  3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You failed to specify that this is only the case if said item is in it's "unused" condition. :poop:

4. Pygon

Pygon Member

I can't seem to recall if I had that problem the first time I tried to install TOEE. I know I had some problem that called for me to copy both CDs to my hard drive and do the installation from there - what a pain.

But last night, when I installed it again, I had no problems - not sure why.

If cleaning the CD doesn't work, try making sure you have plenty of space free on whatever your system uses for its temp drive, typically C:

Our Host!