How important are Axiomatic (Lawful) and Anarchic (Chaotic) weapons?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, Feb 16, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Greetings, all!

I understand the value of Holy weapons and having a Good Cleric with the Good Domain to make Good weapons. I heard that a Lawful Good Cleric is the best weaponsmith due to being able to make Lawful Good weapons. What are your thoughts on this?

2. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Many enemies are chaotic evil, so I can see the point. That being said, I never really saw the use. There is a lawful good weapon in the temple if you really want one.

3. Pelador

Pelador Member

You can get a Holy longsword +1 from a quest in Homlett that takes about a minute. Then I think the rest are on the fourth level of the temple and in the elemental nodes. No need to waste exp and money crafting them.

4. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I find Holy Axiomatic Composite Longbows to be very useful against most targets in the temple, and completely worth the effort to enchant them.

5. Endarire

How do I speedrun the Holy Dowry quest in Hommlet? Last time I did that, I required about an hour!

6. Pelador

Pelador Member

Well I think you might need some high charisma and diplomacy but basically all you do is follow the correct prompts with Filiken's daughter. You want to ask why her father is so protective or something. After which you should see an option about how you'd gladly rescue her from ochre jellies. I can't remember if that's the second or first time you speak to her. I think it's the second. Either way you need to speak to her three times. On the third time you should see prompts about not being able to keep away and proposing to her. This is where your diplomacy score comes into it. You need to convince Filiken that you will be a decent husband. After the correct dialogue options he gives you the sword. This quest is best saved until you've done the carpenter's dilemma. Otherwise I think she joins your party. I like to leave it until last, take the sword and never see them again.

7. Endarire

Assuming I'm a LG Cleric with the Law and Good domains for crafting purposes, how does Axiomatic compare to Flaming Burst in terms of usefulness? (I assume Icy Burst and Shocking Burst due to them working on pretty much everything, and Icy doing extra damage to fiery creatures.)

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Demons are immune to fire, but Axiomatic works like a charm.

9. chano

chano Established Member

U need to fix the barn thing before getting the option to marry her, or am i wrong?
    her older sister needs to be married off to marek ,, i could be wrong though

10. Pelador

Pelador Member

You are probably correct. You also need your diplomacy skill to be high enough. I always leave this for last so it never occurred to me that there might be a prerequisite. Still, Carpenter's Dilemma only takes ten minutes.

11. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

It doesnt even take that long after you do it even once. Use the sign post to teleport from place to place to save a lot of time.

12. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Axiomatic/ anarchic gives an extra 2d6 damage against appropriately aligned foes; within the temple that's basically everyone and everything for axiomatic weapons, so not to be sniffed at. Later in the game, the Hextorites are LE, so anarchic come into its own, which is why the Silver Sword of Chaos from the old Hickory Branch was so useful.
    In terms of optimisation, a LG cleric with both those domains is my go-to, but I agree that this can be limiting compared with the number of ways you can craft flaming or icy weapons.

Our Host!