How do you use a feat?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by NoxNoctum, Oct 6, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. NoxNoctum

NoxNoctum Member

I want to use a metamagic feat on my wizard, but I don't see it anywhere in the menu even though I just added it when leveling up. How do you use it?

2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Open your wizards spellbook using the radial menu

Looking down your spellbook you will see every spell you have written therein has a symbol (a circle with a cross inside) just to the left of the spell name.

Click on the symbol by the spell you wish to modify

A box will then open with a list of all the metamagic feats you could apply in a column on the left and blank slots on the right, drag the feat(s) you wish to apply across as if you were memorising a spell and click OK when finished.

You wll find that a new metamagic version of the spell has been created at an appropriately higher level in your spellbook. You prepare this while resting with your other spells

3. NoxNoctum

NoxNoctum Member

Hmmm ok thanks but I think I'm still doing something wrong because Empower + Heighten spell on Mage armor doesnt boost the 4 AC bonus or anything.

4. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I've not used metamagic feats much aside from the crafting ones but I'm guessing not every spell benefits from them- most likely spells that involve numerical measurables like recovering hit points or dealing damage. I don't think a metamagic spell would double the effectiveness of an armor class buff but that's my guess...:dizzy:

5. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Gehennis is correct, I am sure. In this case ToEE is implementing D&D 3.5 correctly because pnp (Spell Compendium) has a 3rd level spell Greater Mage Armo(u)r that achieves the desired effect (+6 armo(u)r bonus) without requiring a feat.

6. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

You really have to look at the spell and the feat to know if the metamagic feat will actually increase the potency of that spell..if we take your mage armor for example neither empower nor heighten spell really affects it since there is no numerical (dice roll) type value for it to affect even though I can see by reading the description how it seems like your +4 should be a +6. Empower usually is helpfull for damage dealing evocation spells and healing spells. Heighten spell doesn't affect mage armor to the best of my knowledge either since the duration is one hour per caster level not per spell level. A good general rule of thumb for use of heighten spell is if it has a saving throw it will help. An example would be Charm Person cast by a wizard with a 16 int, its normal save would be 10+3 (for int)+1 for a first level spell for a save Difficulty of 14 for the target to overcome on his die roll with his will save. A heightened Charm person taking up one of your second level slots would now have a Save difficulty of 15 since it is now a second level spell in one of your 3rd level slots a save difficulty of 16 and so on thus making it harder for the target to save against. The usefull metamagic feat for your Mage Armor would be extend spell since it increases duration so Mage Armor last one hour per caster level as a 1st level spell. Mage Armor (extended) in your second level slot would last 2 hours per caster level. Some spells can be increased by more then one metamagic feat such as the Charm Person above can be improved with both heighten spell to make the save Difficulty toughter to over come and extend spell to make the duration on the target last twice as long.

Sorry if I rambled and you didn't need the examples metamagic feats can be effective you just have to relize not every metamagic feat is usefull with every spell.

Nox, here is a quick thought process I have when determining rather to apply a metamagic feat without having to look up every spell..hope this helps

Empower and Maximize-If it has a Dice roll (random variable) examples would be cures/fireballs/produce flame etc..

Enlarge-If it has a range examples are grease, command, chain lightning

Extend-If it has a duration examples are barkskin, protection from arrows, cats grace, command, bulls streagth

Heighten-If the target gets a save against my spell examples hold person, command, lightning bolt, charms and dominates

Widen-any spell with an area of effect examples web, grease, fireball even things like bless and entangle but those already have pretty wide areas to begin with.

Quicken-any spell I feel I may have to cast close to enemys and want to avoid attacks of opportuinity and casting defensively or any spell I want to be able to cast and then immeditely follow up with anthor spell by the same caster in the same round.

Silent- don't really use but basically any spell that has a verbal componant that you want to be able to use when silenced.

Still- same as silent but for somatic componant, I find it more usefull since it works when inmobolized which seems to happen more the silenced

Once again hope this helps, and don't forget you can apply more then one metamagic but the spell slots are cumulative so they can take up some pretty high up spell slots when you start doing this.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  7. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Well, the only thing heighten spell will do on your mage armour is that it will be slightly more difficult to despell. But ai spellcasters almost never care about such trivialities like that.

8. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

@shapecharge- Never really thought about metamagics along those lines, thanks. Playing the modpack with the higher level caps I might have to fool around with these to see if I like them with my play style

9. NoxNoctum

NoxNoctum Member

Thanks shapecharge that was very helpful ;)

Our Host!