How do I Change Spell Names?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kharagh, May 17, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kharagh

Kharagh Established Member

Hi. New to tinkering with the game. I added the Spell 'Fist of Stone' (1st level Sor/Wiz spell that grants +6 Str to the caster for 10 rounds) by replacing the text of "TOEE\data\scr\Spell097 - Darkvision.py" with an only slightly modified version of Bull's Strength (changing the duration and str bonus). I then created "TOEE \data\rules\spells\097 - Darkvision.txt" with the text shown below. The spell works correctly in-game, so I'm mostly satisfied. However, I'd really like to change the name from 'Darkvision' to 'Fist of Stone', but my attempts at that have failed (the game won't start). Can someone please tell me an easy way to change the name of this spell? THANKS!

School: Transmutation
    Level: Earth 1
    Level: Sor 1
    Level: Strength 1
    Level: Wiz 1
    Component: V
    Component: S
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Personal
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No
    Projectile: No
    flags_Target: Range
    inc_flags_Target: Self
    exc_flags_Target: Other
    exc_flags_Target: Non-critter
    exc_flags_Target: Dead
    mode_Target: Personal
    min_Target: 1
    max_Target: 1
    radius_Target: 0
    ai_type: ai_action_defensive

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

/TOEE/data/mes/spell.mes

Change:

{97}{Darkvision}​

To:

{97}{Fist of Stone}​

Change:

{5097}{Darkvision}​

To:

{5097} Fist of Stone {A description of your spell goes into the curly brackets here.}​

3. Kharagh

Thanks, I found it a few hours after posting but was too excited about all the spell changes I could make to come back and post. I also discovered where to change the names of domains so now my game has a spiders domain, storm domain, ice domain, etc. AWESOME!

Next question: is it possible to change the domains and/or favored weapon for each deity? I know domains can be switched through the console, but it would be a little more elegant to be able to do it prior to starting a game.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

It would be cool if choosing a specific deity you would become proficient with that diety's weapon of choice.

I know one gives you longsword proficiency, but it would be great if all did according to their weapon of choice.

5. Kharagh

If you have the war domain then you are supposed to gain weapon proficiency AND weapon focus with your deity's favored weapon. With a new character, the only non-evil gods that grant access to the war domain are Heironeous and Corellon Larethian (both longsword). Hextor (flail), Erythnul (morningstar), and Gruumsh (spear) allow access to the war domain for evil characters. So the evil gods all favor simple weapons (or a flail - which is no better than a morningstar) and the god of the elves favors a weapon that elves already get free proficiency with. So really, only followers of Heironeous get anything proficiency-wise out of the war domain.

In theory, you could use the console to give another priesthood the war domain (e.g., Moradin) and that should grant a bonus weapon proficiency and weapon focus (e.g., warhammer). Pelor and Garl should give you battleaxe and Kord should give you greatsword.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

And ST Cuthbeard should give you heavy mace, but he doesn't. I think if you're a cleric following a certain deity you would also adopt its weapon of choice.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Unfortunately while we can grant feats (like Dodge) via scripts, this doesn't extend to weapon proficiencies. Sorry :( I don't think you can easily change the favoured weapon for each deity: maybe check the Spiritual Weapon spell and see how it works out each one.

8. Kharagh

Thanks. Not a big deal about the favored weapons. I'm actually much more interested in changing each deity's domain. I'd like to replace the greyhawk pantheon and it's a little tricky without being able to change each deity's domains (the workaround is to rename each domain; e.g., change the "Luck" domain to "War" so that the war deity replacing Kord gets the "War" domain. Then swap all the spells. The problems are (1) it's a bullshit hassle, (2) this doesn't swap the domain powers (so Luck grants weapon focus and War grants a re-roll), (3) it can be tricky getting all of the deity's domains to line up (all deities replacing those with the Luck domain would need to have War access). So it would be much cleaner to just swap out domains for each deity.

I am very interested in what you said about scripting feats. Is there an example that you know of that I could look at to see how this is done? I'd really like to create the Heroics wizard spell - which grants any fighter bonus feat for 10 min/level. Ideally there would be a radial menu to allow the selection, but even if a separate spell had to be made for each feat, that would still be a huge step in the right direction.

Also, is there an easy way to convert a spell to a swift action (or no action)? I tried figuring it out from boots of speed and barbarian rage, but couldn't get anywhere. Maybe auto-applying the quickened feat to a spell somehow?

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

For the spells I guess you would change the casting time in the .txt doc. Try

Casting Time: Free Action

I' remember seeing that in there but no idea if it works.

For the feats see HERE.

Our Host!