Hickory Grove problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Spider Dwarf, Sep 10, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Okay so the Red Bull, forgot to mention Big, hands me my butt on a plastic plate. So I went to fight Krunch's Posse. I beat down the blockage, went in and got jumped big time getting in only a couple of hits before I got wiped. And here everyone's bragging about doing it solo.:angry:

So I reloaded from my save just prior to going into the cave. Thinking it would be nice to have some scrolls I traveled to Hommlet and whipped up about a half dozen or so.

Now when I get back to the cave entrance I can't get in. My cursor turns in to a hand and, rhetorically, waves the finger of solitude at me. I thought I was doing good having just started 7.4 yesterday morn.

Any thoughts? I did the Bog, Deklo Grove, the Moathouse and Emridy Meadows and not much else.

Boy, it sure would be nice to use that chasm in the southeast of Emridy as a hook into a subterranean caper. One of the big undead from the original battle all those years ago and is working in cahoots with others of her ilk.

2. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

I've never soloed it. That's a good fight. Did you like the witch with her mirror image? Underdark with mind flayers, umberhulks, kou-toa would be cooler than undead.

3. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

I've never soloed either and perhaps I'll give it a shot. When I get more hours.

As for you reply regarding the chasm, while your thought is not a bad one it is not in the character of the game. Undead rule and the living breakfast. I was thinking along the line of a powerful wizard / cleric lich and her minions.

Heck, I'd even scrape up more donation cash if that would help.

Unfortunately it looks like there is no solution to my original posting, why does the blocked cave entrance not allow me passage.

4. silo25

silo25 Established Member

ive soloed it with and without the blockade, but keep in mind....if you rest but dont leave its a little different than if you dont rest

i wont spoil it for you, but the guide and some posts can explain what happens with the branch in regards to what triggers what, "spoilers doctor spoilers"

5. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

My problem is that I beat down the blockage and died. I then reloaded and left the area, going back to Hommlet to create some scrolls. When I come back I cannot get back in, my cursor turning into a hand but doing nothing when I click on the door.

6. silo25

thats by design

7. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Then what do, that is the question? I should be able to console in a command to let me in.

And I don't want to hear, "Reload an earlier save." I did a lot of back and forth between the region and Hommlet. My normal is to have a save prior to entering a new region, and then saving that as I continue in the region.

8. Shawee

Shawee Member

I did the same thing. Destroyed door and I ended up going back to town to buy some scrolls. I rested and came back to the block in place.
    I ended up using a save for when I first entered Hickory. I had to do all those fights again.

I tried teleport cheating into the cave. Map. ini file gives you the xxxx but you are guessing at the XY. After five tries and ending up in dark areas of the cave and sometimes crashing, I just loaded up previous save. Someone would have to give you the xy into the center of the cave.....If you have an old game from earlier version, you could load it up and go find the XY. I didnt do this because i started 7.4 with a fresh install. If someone could at least post the command for getting the xy, I dont remember it.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Don't blindly use the console.

I'll have to look into it later - we did alter some portals so that they don't work except under specific conditions so as to avoid players exploiting the fact that you can sometimes 'get a handle on' the door even when the blockage is still standing. It probably has to do with that.

10. silo25

spoiler

if you do not rest the barrier will not be there and dont leave the map

11. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

What I eventually did was to load my next to the last save. I had to do all of Emridy Meadows and some other minor things.

When I finally did get to the blocked cave I had been back and forth to Hommlet four or five times and rested numerous times. Same as in the earlier game. Interestingly when I got to the blockage this time, it was not there. Just a door begging me to go on in. I only lost two characters.

The only thing I can recall that was different is that this time I did not let all the little lieutenants do their disappearing acts. I snuck up on them and took care of business. It sure made the cave fight far easier.

12. silo25

i just did that fight solo as a monk, its tough but doable

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Alrighty I tested this and found some problems, though I don't know exactly why you were having the problems you described, Spider Dwarf. I had issues with the blockage reappearing even after it was 'dead' and still getting in the way, etc.

At any rate, this patch should fix it. Just extract to your ToEE directory and overwrite. You can use it with any save, but will work best with one from before you encountered the blockage.

(This also rolls in the Wakefield WotGS fix, incidentally.)

Attached Files:

14. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Thanks for the patch 'Ol Wise Coder God. I finally got it to work and will leave it at that, not wanting to tempt the Fates. Took most of the day but fun was had by all, except those I sent to the other side. Make me wonder though it perhaps Lord Hungous doesn't come back as undead in some future big battle.

Your comment about Wakefield and WotGS intrigues me and the use of an acronym stumped me. I sure wish we could come up with a comprehensive walk thru. I'm a hacker when it comes to coding, but I would be more than willing to publish one if someone else comes up with the gist of it. I'm pretty good when it comes to publishing and graphics.

We could publish it as a PDF and host it on the forum. Put it up for a donation fee and put in place a copyright routine for PDFs. I'm not sure how to put in place a PDF block for those who would be sharing, against the bettering of the community. I'm sure there is some way using Java (usable in a PDF) to have it check the user's account on a site.

15. marode

marode Member

I just wanted to shout out a quick thanks for continuing to support this great mod/patch! I was suffering from the same problem in Hickory Branch with the immovable dead cave blockage, and am thoroughly impressed with the quick patch job. Please keep up the good work! I kinda wish you guys woulda made Diablo 3 lol...

Also, i've been soloing as a wizard and was able to beat the Minotaur off the back of stinking cloud and summon monster IV. Cheers!

Our Host!