Hickory Branch

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by TomBac, Sep 20, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. TomBac

TomBac Member

Hi all,

sorry if this isn't the right place to post a thread. Anyway i finally made it to HB. And i must say it absolutely astonishing. Mass battle, whole lot of XP. I have some questions.

1. How do you recognize players in HB? I only made to recognize one of players. If you are invisible... then they don't see you at all. I have watched on u tube a video and have noticed that in this video player only recognize two mayor players in HB. And then after that he proceed to Lords cave. I didn't made it untill cave.
    So i was wondering. If you go visible, the mine field activates and whole lot of damage pops out.
    So clearly you have to be visible to recognize the players and initiate the dialog (as per video).

2. Did anyone noticed that Chain lightning CTD game offten in HB? Terrifically annoying. You enter mass battle with the army, half of troops are dead and then, PAMM! CTD! Is there anyway to solve that?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I certainly remember Chain Lightning 12 bad guys at a time in the Temple level 4 battle vs Hedrack and his minions, does casting Chain Lightning CTD if cast in other locations?

The trick with Hickory Branch is to take it slowly, if you move your characters too close to a group of bad guys they will become hostile and overwhelm you with numbers. Pick off the closest groups first, then make sure to activate new groups one at a time if possible, ranged weapons help in this regard.

TomBac likes this.
  3. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Someone posted about Chainlightning and i think the problem was found. Check Templeplus+

TomBac likes this.
  4. TomBac

TomBac Member

Yeah, thanks for advice. But would that solve "identify players" issue? Have tried slow approach, managed to identify 6 players on HB map.
    Other 3 are in cave? If anyone knows?

Thanks for reply Allyx!

5. TomBac

TomBac Member

Not sure that i understand you right. Check out thread templeplus?
    Anyway whats with Temple+? Can i install it and continue with current position / save?
    Can you point me at some direction?

6. Allyx

TomBac likes this.
  7. TomBac

TomBac Member

Many thanks Allyx!

Any recommendations regarding install?

8. TomBac

TomBac Member

Ok. short-long notice.

Not sure if this would classify as Spoiler, but as help would for sure.
    After 5 run, I managed to destroy whole front army from south, as in walk-through guide have been told.
    In one battle. After map was cleared first.
    Spells: Buffing: Stoneskin, barkskin, blur, FoM (freedom of mov.), GH (greater heroism) (fighters AC 33)
    Offence: Solid fog, cloudkill, confusion, circle of death, firestorm, holy word, SNA iV (huge fire elemental),
    lightning storm, fireball.

Awesome battle! Worth every attempt! Awesome fun!

Aldo had 3x CTD, and not from chain lightning.

9. Allyx

I have used it (not the latest version though), but tend not to as I'm building the Icewind Dale mod to be independant of Temple plus, yet also compatible with Temple plus at the same time.

10. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Keep in mind, If you activate combat by summon a Huge fire elemental in the middle of a group of opponents they will take AoE fire damage and concentrate on the elemental (follow with a maximized fireball and/or firestorm for a real hot time:D)

11. TomBac

TomBac Member

Hy all,

I managed to complete whole Hickory Branch as it is supposed to be.
    All 9 principal players have been identified. Aldo Lich didn’t have much to say when we started conversation. Not sure if that is proper or not, but maybe this is because i killed Lord H, before he properly stated that there is a Lich who won’t be merciful as they are (know this because i started battle few times, and in this last fight he didn’t mange to say it out loud).

Though HB map i didn’t collect anything, so i see this as down side since i need to collect all loot from ground (There isn’t “loot” UI element (like there is when there are boys on ground), so you have to pick all crap loot to get the proper items). Maybe in some version/update this could be solved?
    So loot soon as they are dead (ofc after battle is over)

As real serious encounters i would declare Lord commanders (sergeants, lieutenants) and Lich
    (awesome work on spells he casts, killed my party spokesman instantly in first round).

Anyway awesome work guys! Really top of the line.

Our Host!