Hezrou and Balor questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by dwarvenbard, Jul 16, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. dwarvenbard

dwarvenbard Member

I am playing through Liv's mod for the first time. I am fighting the Hezrou and it is using a stench effect on me. Is there anything that protects against stench? I have tried this battle 5 times now, and every single time, my entire party becomes stenched. While stenched, none of my people can do anything besides run around.

Also, is the cleric spell Remove Fear bugged? When I tried fighting the Balor, I kept my cleric far away so he would not be affected by fear. Whenever my main melee fighter became afraid, I would have my cleric cast Remove Fear on him, but it did not seem to do anything. My fighter was still afraid. I also tried casting Remove Fear on everybody before the fight started, thinking it would act like a Protection from Fear spell. This worked in Baldur's Gate, but not in this game. Is there something else that will work against fear?

2. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

These are tough fights, and both of the Herzou's Stench and the Balor's feat seem to be able to cut through defences. Some Suggestions:

One of my wizards always has Spell Penetration and Greater Spell Penetration, and I usually have at least 2 Wizards and one character with a high Use Item Skill in the party. If you use Summons to keep the Balor occupied, it is possible to magic missile him to death.

With both the Ballor and the Herzou, it's usually possible to get a melee attack in, run away, recover from Stench/Fear, and run back. Use Holy weapons.

Last time through I had one archer with a Holy Frost bow. it worked really well here.

Cloaks of Resistance +3 are dirt cheap to craft and may help.

Next time I face these two, I'm planning to try the Necklace of Adaptation for the stench and Calm Emotions for the fear. You might try those.

Our Host!