"Hendrick, Culbert, and Luz"

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Sep 27, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay, sirchet reports continued goofiness with this battle in the bug report thread:

The very basic way it's supposed to play out during the fight:

1. On Hedrack's turn during the first round where he is reduced to less than half of his hit points, if he is still alive, he summons Iuz.
    2. Iuz appears and goes through his speech/routine and attacks.
    3. In the fourth round of this subsequent battle, on Iuz's turn, St. Cuthbert appears and goes through his speech/routine.
    4. Cuthbert and Iuz heal/raise all appropriate parties and disappear.
    5. Battle resumes with those left.
    What other issues are any of you encountering here - CTDs, multiple Cuthberts, multiple Iuzes, inaction, etc., etc.? Or are things playing okay? Please share your experiences.

2. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

Here are a few of the most common ones I've encountered, irrespective of the Co8 modapack version:
    • Hedrack never summons Iuz. Sometimes I might have been lucky to put him to sleep or paralyse him, yet in other play-throughs he is fully mobile but doesn't summon Iuz. 25% of the time.
    • Iuz gets summoned but Cuthbert never appears. Infrequent
    • Iuz appears and Cuthbert appears. Both attack me. Very rare.
    • Iuz appears, remains hostile but never attacks me so combat never ends. Very rare

3. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

Just played through this part of my 3rd playthrough of 7.4 today. Didn't let Hedrack live long enough to call Iuz in my first 2 playthroughs. Inaction for combat reinitiation after gods conversing dialog was the only thing that happened.

*edit* - moved my off topic comment to 7.#/7.#NC commentary thread

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  4. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

WAI most of the time. Did not played the battle yet in 7.4.
    The strangest thing happened in a pre 7.0 mod (not quite sure which, must have been a 6...). They both appear, deliver their speech and nothing happenes, just stay there, inactive. Manually initiated combat, they BOTH turned on me :dizzy:

5. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Unfortunately, the H man rarely lives through the first round of combat. Thus I almost never face Iuz. Are there extra xp for facing Iuz? do you lose xp from getting raised by Cuthbert?

6. SCO

SCO Member

This sequence is buggy as hell... and just the fact you *have* to break the scripts (or that they can get broken at all, ex: duplicate St.C.) to fight St.C. or that you can't tell him to shove it when you've got Iuz on the ropes just makes it worse.

BTW, Iuz has no counter against the polearm technique, his AI is very primitive apparently.

Also it's hilarious that on NC you can now go kill or enthrall or banish Zuggtmoy "out of order" and Iuz has no new content comment... please don't modify things just by adding new things, change the boring ones too.

Also zuggy should be a npc if you manage to enthrall her :transform - she can polymorph to a smaller size though. Betrayal when fighting her luv optional.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  7. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

I think you do get quite juicy XP for defeating Iuz. It scared the cr@p out of me the first time he turned up and ripped apart my toughest fighter in 1 round- but I managed to survive long enough to see Cuthbert turn up and raise him. I don't remember if there was an XP loss for dying- I think it was a preNC game and my character was 10th level or thereabouts anyway.
    It's an interesting challenge to keep Hedrack alive and out of mschief while you take out the other members of his group, before summoning Iuz when you're good and ready....

8. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

SCO - I agree it would be a great addition to the game if it could be done. Tbe first time I went into this fight deliberately looking for trouble (and once I managed not to kill Hedrack too soon), Cuthbert effectively came to rescue Iuz, not me. If he could turn up and make a disparaging comment to Iuz if he s less than half HP, then do a little 'well done mortals' speech, that would be awesome. New reputation?

9. Gaear

Question - has this ever been any different? It looks like going all the way back to vanilla there was never any scripting for any actions after that. He probably should attack simply due to faction differences, but combat doesn't re-initiate because the shitlist gets cleared when Hedrack stops combat and speaks up the first time.

Obviously Iuz should get pissed and attack you if he fails at enthralling you, I assume. (He only tries that if you've got the orb btw.)

10. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

What would be really nice NC-wise is if you could list Iuz to the Viscount when you first meet him. That should get the man's attention.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Funny, I'm almost sure last time Iuz, (Luz's brother?) always came straight for me after he fails to dominate me. I do tend to have a selective memory though. ;)

12. SCO

SCO Member

He starts combat *after* you move.

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's been my experience, too. Start moving to start combat.

14. odrew

odrew Member

My experience of this fight plays out like it was probably meant to.
    Haedrick summons Iuz, who kicks the crap out of my till Cuthbert shows up.
    After Cuthberts speech I always crash to desktop (CTD).

I fled the fight with Iuz before Cuthbert shows up.
    When I go back Cuthbert shows up right away and I get the CTD.

Is there anyway out of this or do I have to replay this fight from the start?
    Thanks

15. Gaear

At what point exactly do you get the CTD after Cuthbert's speech - when Iuz heals Hedrack's gang, or when Cuthbert heals your gang, before, after, etc.? Also, when this happens, are you anywhere in the vicinity of Hedrack (dead or alive), or have you moved off somewhere else?

Our Host!