help!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by fatman, Jun 24, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. fatman

fatman Member

there is a door on the main floor of the temple, to the right of the throne, that I can open but can't enter. Any sugestions? And how do I gain more expereince for my wizard, so i can make more scrolles.

2. Mattsky

Mattsky Member

Hmmm, if it's the one I'm thinking of, I Picked Lock, opened it, and....nothing. The door swung open to reveal....nothing. There's more than one of 'em too. Perhaps someone else has discovered the reason for its (their) existence...)

3. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

Well, there is no in-game reason at this time.

In any case, I think that door just led out into the temple yard in the paper module, not sure though. Most of the large double doors inside the temple simply guard stairs and hallways between levels. So you aren't really losing any areas.

Perhaps someone with a copy of the PnP module can clarify for us :)

4. psiekier

psiekier Member

Ummm... let me think...

How do you gain XP in Dungeons and Dragons?!? Uh... could it be... kill more monsters?!?

Scribing scrolls and crafting magic items costs XP. You'll notice that your non-crafting party members (rogues, barbarians, fighters, etc.) will all pretty much have the same XP barring any fatal mishaps. These characters will reach the higher levels before any spellcasters that have been busy crafting magic items for them, but that's OK.

You gain XP by completing the side quests in the game and by killing monsters. Watch your dice roll window, though. The higher a character's level is, the fewer XP he will gain when killing weaker monsters. This is because once you reach 10th level, you can't really learn anything from crushing a skeleton - it's no longer a challenge to someone so heroic!

My advice: start crafting items like crazy when your spellcasters reach the 5th or 6th level. Sure, you will have to build their XP back, but at this level, you still gain decent XP even for some of the more pathetic monsters.

You can deliberately cause more encounters by simply walking between points on the overland map. In addition, when you rest in a yellow zone, you'll frequently find your party ambushed - and you can gain XP by killing those monsters as well.

Keep in mind that the monsters will be different depending on where you are. You're fairly likely to encounter undead at Emridy Meadows, while resting at or around the ruined moathouse might result in encounters with giant frogs, stirges, or crayfish. Try resting in the lower levels of the Temple itself and you could wake up surrounded by Hill Giants, Gargoyles, or worse!

5. zhuge

zhuge Established Member Veteran

In the game this is an unfinished area and cannot be accessed. A bug which is not likely to get fixed any time soon if at all as adding a new room requires art and Steve Moret is not working with any artists on the 3rd official patch AFAIK.

In the original PnP module, this area is:

9. EAST DOOR
    A huge bronze vessel chased with copper
    stands here. Its six legs hold it slightly
    more than a foot above the floorstones.
    This portal is finely carved, but most of
    the vile and obscene work has been
    hacked and chopped so as to efface its
    evil. Beyond is another vestry, a chamber
    nearly 30 feet wide and 60 feet long.
    It once must have been the scene of
    debauched revels, for the remains of
    great couches, tables, and padded chairs
    are strewn about. Charcoal and several
    broken barrels lie nearby. A stack of resinous
    faggots near the door seem to be
    the only things not broken or disarrayed.
    Amidst the litter are several skeletons,
    probably human. One wears the tattered
    remains of a scarlet robe.

Behind the lengths of wooden faggots is a
    small cupboard, set into the wall. Within it
    are two silk robes of bright crimson, with
    skulls embroidered in gold thread on the
    front and back. Each is cowled and lined
    with lavender silk.

Our Host!