help with TOEE front end

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by roshchumun, May 29, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. roshchumun

roshchumun Member

Hello,

I have installed TOEE front end and read some of the discussions about the known issues.

I installed TOEE and Front end in a custom file path as recommended on the boards here.

I have Java 7 and I am running as administrator. I have not changed the resolution.

I am using Windows defender( I have set an exemption for TOEE and Front end). I have set options to no scaling and also disabled the intro movies and trying to play in a window as opposed to full screen.

When I launched this for the first time, it did work. Then when I tried doing so again, at the intro stage, I get a message to say that TOEE has stopped working and windows closes the program down.

When I go to troubleshooting option, it seems as if it is not compatible with windows 10.. it recommend I try with another previous version of Windows but when I do so, the same thing happens.

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or thoughts in case I have missed anything.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

TFE-X was written with Microsoft .Net, not Java, make sure your .Net is the current version, and/or if that fails, download Temple Plus to see if you can run the game through that launcher instead.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Actually the modern version of TFE-X is a Java app now. ;)

OP, it sounds to me like your AV is killing the process. Defender is listed in our knowledge base as compatible with ToEE, but there's never 100% certainty for all OSes and versions. You might try entirely disabling Defender, as sometimes AV can still mess with ToEE even with exceptions. (And sometimes it can still interfere even when it's entirely disabled, believe it or not.)

I tested Defender on a non-Windows 10 PC, which worked, but I didn't test Windows 10. I'm not sure you can even remove it from Windows 10, as it's native to the OS.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Huh, I didn't know it was switched to Java. I am using Windows 10 and Defender, ToEE runs fine for me, even without adding files to exceptions lists.

5. roshchumun

roshchumun Member

Great, I will try that out and report back.

Thanks for all the tips

6. roshchumun

roshchumun Member

Hello,

Thanks for the tip, so I turned off windows defender and then got the same message.

Lol, let me see if I can uninstall it, but if I cant, it looks like for other players in the same situation the game wont run.

Thanks for your help though

7. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I have it working on Windows 10 with Defender running. I'm not sure that's the problem. I would try re-enabling the movies, I have had a similar issue on a previous computer where it ran fine with movies enabled but stopped just as you describe when I disabled the movies. Which I found ironic as I had had the exact opposite issue (did not load with movies enabled) on the first computer I tried to play the game with.

8. roshchumun

roshchumun Member

Hello,

I tired this just now, it still comes up with the same message. Thank you though for the idea.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

If all else has failed, I suppose you could just try a complete reinstall. erkper's right about the movies enabling/disabling thing - it isn't so much which setting you have that bothers ToEE but the fact that you changed it - which just goes to show the nature of its pickyness. It's largely inscrutable software, so sometimes carpet bombing or scorched earth is the best approach to resolving issues.

10. roshchumun

roshchumun Member

Hello,

Yes I will do so and see what happens. I will update this thread with the results.

Thanks all for the support!

Our Host!