Help with module creation

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Mellonril, May 27, 2019.

Remove all ads!
Tags:
  1. Mellonril

Mellonril Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to create a new module and start modding, I have some questions.
    I'll try to explain, sorry for my english, not my main language.

I've read the documentation provided with TFE-X (TFE-X-readme.txt), the one inside ToEEWB2 Tutorial folder (Building A New Module.rtf) and the forum page Tutorial: How to Make a new Map but I'm still a little confused.

1) I would like to know if my new module must be starting from the base ToEE or if there is a way to start from the Co8 mod files with all the fixes to the game.

The tutorial from Agetian use the base ToEE game if I understood correctly.

Co8 mod has changes in the names and order of the maps, I would like to start in the most simple way but without losing any important stuff.

2) Regarding module file creation:
    Should I follow the instructions inside TFE-X readme or the ToEE World Builder module making tutorial?
    The TFE-X readme says:
    The ToEEWB2 tutorials says:
    The folder inside modules should be called ToEE or "MyModName"?
    The data folder is called "data" or "data.MyModName"?
    Where should I move the modified temple.dll?

3) What is the difference between the ToEE1-4.dat in the main folder and the one ToEE.dat in the module folder?
    Do I need to exctract all of them to mod properly?

4) The module would be composed by one outdoor map and one interior map (starting simple :) )
    Is it required to use the Hommlet maps? Or may I use the other ones if I don't want the Worldmap enabled?

Thanks for the help

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hello, welcome, and good luck with your mod... that out of the way, I'll try to help with your questions.

1. You can use the latest Co8 mod as a base for your mod, I would copy your normal ToEE root folder, paste it in the same location and rename the copy as your mod (that way you instantly have a backup installation), and start modding from there.

2. You can mod straight onto the files in your clone directory, you only need to organise your files as described in the latter explanation before you are ready to publish your mod. The Temple.dll goes into the Modules folder before you zip it and rename the file extension to .tfm (I think that's right, it's been a while - to double check with an existing mod, rename the .tfm to .zip, and take a look inside the archive to see it's proper structure).

3. The .Dat files contain all of the games unmodified files. You shouldn't NEED to extract them at this point, as all of the modified files are already in the data and modules/ToEE folders and the Temple.dll in the root folder. That said you may WANT to extract them for reference purposes. They may also come in handy if you plan on utilising the original game's clipping files for your custom made maps, just make sure you store the DAT's in a separate location from your game and clone directories - I store them in named folders in ToEEWB's root folder so I can't get confused.

4. If you aren't using the World map, any map will do, there may be a few maps you want to ignore though, (the outdoor maps for every location that has world map access). You may have to hex edit the Temple.dll to change the maps game.area.## to 0, but for the meantime the Vignette maps should be easiest to get started on as they are already set game.area.0.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  3. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

@Mellonril: Welcome, new one! You can do it! Follow instructions provided you from others!

Our Host!