Help with Hedrack, Iuz and St. Cuthbert

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Schmaehgol, Aug 20, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Schmaehgol

Schmaehgol Ettin Beheader

Hi,
    I've been playing ToEE for about a year now off and on, and I've finally made it to the the big showdown with Hedrack, Senshock and Co. on level 4 and am having trouble with the dialogs and gods' avatars' behavior. You guys seem to know a lot from reading the posts and answers, so I'm hoping you can help me.
    I'm afraid my quest status flags might have gotten corrupted somehow. Here's what happens: Hedrack thinks that Romag is accompanying me down there, and begins talking to him, although I've found my way down by myself. One time he also talked to Kelno, who wasn't present. (Neither of them survived, though I did fulfill a couple of their quests before I came down.)
    Anyway, the dialog plays out and I can begin the combat. When I get Hedrack seriously injured he summons Iuz, just as the walkthrough explains it. But then, when St. Cuthbert appears, he stands around neutral doing nothing for a while. Eventually he starts attacking me unprovoked. (Also, as an aside, some of Senshock's summoned elementals begin attacking him, too.) It seems like no one knows whose side they're on. Except Iuz, who whales on my weaker characters. Eventually Iuz and St. Cuthbert hammer me into the ground, sometimes pausing to fight each other, too. It makes no sense.
    So I'm wondering what I did to anger St. Cuthbert? I do have the fungus figurine as well as the orb/skull, some poison potions, etc. Could this be an alignment transgression? Or is it more likely a bug?
    Can anyone help?
    FYI, I'm playing the basic ToEE (German version) with no Co8 mods, but with the Atari USA ANY patch 2 installed. (Patch 3 would not even let me start the game).
    My party consists of a barbarian, bard, monk, druid and sorceror, all 9th level. (And I have Scorpp).
    Sorry for the long post, but I thought any detail might help.
    Thanks a lot for your help!

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Can you go back to a save without Scorp in your party?

If not, then try removing him and seeing what happens, (you can always save first).

3. Schmaehgol

Thanks again, Sirchet,
    I will try removing Scorpp from my party as you suggested. To go back to a save without him would mean a redo of a lot of dungeon, so I'll try that only if the first method doesn't work. It was nice to have him up front while it lasted...
    Thanks a lot!

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That whole sequence was definitely very buggy in vanilla. We still get the occasional bug report even with the mod. It's quite complex.

5. Schmaehgol

Hi,
    Will I be able to reload my saved games if I install the Co8 fixes or will I have to start all over from scratch?
    Thanks!

6. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

You'll have to start over. The saves for vanilla are incompatible with the Co8 mods.

I recommend getting the NC version btw. The new areas are both fun and a good way to quickly get your party back to their original level.

7. Schmaehgol

Well, I tried removing Scorpp before the Hedrack battle, but St. Cuthbert still just stood around and watched Iuz kill all my guys without lifting a finger to help me. At least he didn't attack my guys this time. Is there some secret to getting him to help you out? Also, Hedrack had the intro dialog again as if I had been brought down to the greater temple by Romag, though I got rid of him long ago. I guess it's back to the drawing board.
    Thanks for the idea though.
    What about robes? Should I remove all minor and greater temple robes from my characters to get St. Cuthbert to help?

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The only times he's helped me was when I was on a "Destroy all things Temple" type of run.

Our Host!