Hate to ask for help, but.... (spoiler)

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by NLB03, Feb 9, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. NLB03

NLB03 Member

I've spent a significantly amount of time trying to figure out the Hope chest with no luck. I thought I had all the correct items and in the correct order but can't seem to make a key appear. The only two items that I think are possible not correct are the "shell and water gift" and the bottle of palest beer. I was using one of the items I recovered from the L men but didn't give to the spider queen since I sort of killed her for one and the entire keg for the other. Am I off base on this?

Excellent game, can't wait for the rest of it, wish I could help but my knowledge of progamming ended with Turbo Pascal. Recvied the original B2 with the original boxed sets decades ago so this mod is awesome.

Thanks.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

A spider's egg is not a 'gift of water and shell' :blink: They used to have the same icon but they absolutely shouldn't now.

The beer - well, there's a lot to choose from, isn't there? Perhaps ask someone who is in the business which one is 'pale' - otherwise, you can tell if you have put the right stuff in the chest because there is a small clicking sound when you put a correct item in, no sound for anything else.

3. hawkeyekorrigan

hawkeyekorrigan Member

I hate to ask also.... But after thinking of everything, I cant figure out the note in his head part. Would someone mind sending me a message. You dont have to tell me, a clue maybe. But Im getting frustrated:) Thanks so much and completely fantastic work. :rock:

4. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

What would a written note from the mind of a wizard look like?

5. relic

relic Established Member

I'm having problems with the "note in his head" thing too. I would think this obviously points to a scroll, and there are two on the same level as the chest. But neither scroll makes the "clicking" sound Ted refers to when put into the chest, whether the scroll has been identified or not.

Also, Spot's heart seems to be referring to the heart you get from the gelatinous cube on the top level, but it doesn't make a clicking sound either.

A little more help?

6. hawkeyekorrigan

hawkeyekorrigan Member

I havent had a chance to play today, but I did think the scroll thing too. But to no avail. I do get a click with the heart though... (nevermind, just checked and no click with heart.) And I still cant get it, the scrolls arent working... Man this mad wizard has me stumped....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  7. Shiningted

Aaaahhh... ok, this explains why some people find they have to shuffle stuff around to get it to work. I obviously didn't attach an 'insert item' thing to the scrolls, so they don't 'activate' the qurest but have to be present for one of the things that do.

Sorry, I'll fix that too.

8. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

A subtle hint: What might you find in certain kind of SHELLfish ?

Ted, I couldn't get anyone to talk to me about the different "types" of beer, although a certain "expert" was more than happy to buy what I had left after I determined the correct type through experimentation. By the way, how do I get to the "Scaley Child East of My Tower" ?? I see absolutely nothing to click on marked on my worldmap that will take me there.
    TRC

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Okay, so, it is not marked by accepting a quest using the SignPost.

10. Shiningted

Thanks, Krunch, its not on the noticeboard.

Royal Canadian: the person who deals in beer does has 2 offsiders, one of whom should be willing to discuss various varieties.

As for the scaley child with a toy... well, there is only one toy in the game, but leaving that aside: I can imagine playing a particular type of game (especially an LG crusading "kill them all, Heironeous will know his own" type of game) where you never do either of the quests that mark the scaley child's home on your map. Hmmmm. I guess I should provide some other way to get there. Eventually I may :)

11. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

You did manage to sell? I did try, but didn't manage... is the 'trader' upstairs or in the underground levels?

12. Shiningted

No, it ain't. Its pretty much the most obvious guy for buying such things :) But he won't buy from just anyone.

EDIT: Just checked this to make sure and found he wasn't actually paying for the beer :yawn: but the dialogue is otherwise sound: only certain, commercially-oriented players will get to sell to him.

13. biobaba

biobaba Member

I am having problem finding scaly child's toy... if it is referring to the rat/mous then it is gone... since it did not a llow me to loot and when I came back to the cave it has decayed away to no where..

14. The Royal Canadian

Hi

The Scaly Childs toy is NOT with the Lizardmen. I don't want to spoil it, but to get to the
    Scaly Child ( which is a fun little quest, just stock up on scrolls before you go ) you
    need to TALK to the Lizardmen the right way.

TRC

15. The Royal Canadian

Hi Ted
    I should point out that it still isn't necessary to complete the "Fedex Challange" to get the "Key" to the Mad Wizards lab. My 4th Level Wizard ( INT 17, Spell Penetration ) was able to open the door with a Knock spell. When he cast the spell on the lock, I saw the following floatlines:

PORTAL WAS NOT LOCKED
    ARCANE LOCK SUPPRESSED

TRC

Our Host!