Good off the shelf Laptop for gaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kilraven, Oct 8, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kilraven

Kilraven Chaotic Good Lich

Howdy all,

I am about to purchase a laptop specifically for gaming.

(The boy has turned six, No time for gaming 'twixt him and the wife.)

What in your opinion is a good off the shelf laptop for gaming ?

Here is a short list of what will be loaded initially.

ToEE, Wizardry, Civilization 4, Caesar 3, Sim City 3, assorted strategy games.

The older laptops are not off the table (thanks to amazon), some of them appear to be quite good.

Your opinions are appreciated, thank you. :thumbsup:

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Where, pray tell did you get a copy of Wizardry that will run on the newer systems and where can I get my hands on one?

I'll let one of the tech guru's answer your system question.

3. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

I cannot speak to laptops either, but I like the first two games on your list. I started playing Wizardry way back on an Atari II. Played it all the way up to #8, and wish there were more.

If you do not have ToEE already -- look to the anthology collections on Amazon. I got BG1, BG2, IWD1, IWD2, ToEE, and PS for the grand price of $20. I saw it there the other day for $30, but still a good deal.

4. Kilraven

Kilraven Chaotic Good Lich

Sorry for the delay in responding, real life. :tired:

Sirchet, I didn't set a number to the Wizardry as I haven't received it yet,
    (birthday gift from wife).

Wizardry 1-5, Zelda, & others are the games I can play almost any time as they are all on my retro NES, SNES game console.

You are very correct in the older DOS not operating worth a stink on the newer systems.

Picked up Wiz 1-3 at the flea market, almost lost my bloody mind trying to get them functional, ended up selling them to half price books.

Tried out some of the other real time D7D games, didn't care for them.

5. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

None of the titles you mention would indicate the need for a dedicated graphics card. It seems like you would be fine with the integrated graphics onboard the modern cpus (amd or intel).

http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/

This is a great resource that I used to help me buy my laptop.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that Toee will not run on the intel a4000 (i7) gpu due to driver issues. It will lockup at the conclusion of the loading screen. I am downloading their latest driver right now to see if it will run it now.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Could you post your results hellblazer? That sounds like something that might need to be added to the EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT RUNNING TOEE thread.

7. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

It runs on windows 7 64-bit with driver 9.17.10.2817 dated 7/20/2012. There is a newer driver from 10/12 but it won't install on my laptop cause they haven't been certified yet by my laptop manufacturer yet. Great news even though I have a dedicated graphics card too. When I had wanted to play before July 20th, I had to use the dedicated because intel hadn't ironed out their drivers for their then new ivy-bridge i7s.

Our Host!