Giant's Head?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zanderat, Sep 24, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zanderat

Zanderat Cosmic Lord

I have the Giants head from Emridy Meadows. No one wants it? Is this just a trophy or can I do anything with it? I am playing vanilla with Sitra's patch. Thanks!

2. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

There is a quest started by the brother/blacksmith guy in Hommlet (the guy right across from the inn) who will take the head. In exchange, he will craft masterwork weapons/armor for you. Note, there is a bug associated with it: after you turn in the head and talk with him about the masterwork items, you will be able to buy them the first time you talk with him, but if you leave and come back, he will be back to regular items, and you can no longer access the masterwork items list. This is a known bug and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (lot of posts) that it has been addressed.

I'm not sure about the mods you are using though, so a modder will most likely have to tell you if that is a problem or not. Anyway, hope that helps.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I believe Sitra's patch removed the masterwork items quest, but apparently it didn't remove the giant's head.

4. Zanderat

Zanderat Cosmic Lord

Ah, that makes sense. Then in that case, I'll simply store it as a memento....... :p

Thanks.

5. maalri

maalri Immortal

Wait a minute...

We no longer have to kill the Giant to get Masterwork items? As of 5.6?

6. Acrux

Acrux Member

And another thing related to that *&%^ hill giant - how'd his Will saves get to be so good? :eek: He seems to succeed against my character's Will-based spells 80% of the time (no joke!). According to SRD, his Will saves should be +4 - is that the actual number in game?

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The first time you play vanilla original, the way you find the hill giant is wandering around the meadows and it was a end of game encounter. All dead. For the mods everyone knows where he's at but there is no dialouge to indicate that. Bro Smyth shoud say something like, "There's a hill giant and his bear companion out in the meadows. Bring me his head and i'll craft some masterwork items for you." The next hill giant is in level 3/4 of the temple, or a random encounter. It's another routine, fedex thing now. At least a new player who hasn't been to that part of the meadows would know what's up.
    I don't recall the bear or giant saving very well at all, let alone 80% of the time.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

:blink: No, that's not correct.

The giant itself has never been modded to my knowledge, unless some change there fell under the scope of Kalshane's proto overhaul.

Bro Smyth probably doesn't know he's there.

9. maalri

maalri Immortal

Right- Brother Smyth just says "Bring me the head of a Giant" to prove youare WORTH his Masterwork items (of course having said items would make it easier to do the former!).

Smyth doesn't tell you where a Giant is, nor that there is a Bear nearby.

Incedentally, you can take on the Giant without the Bear, if you are lucky enough to inch up to him, I find from the Southeast is best, until you get him in a fight, then MAKE HIM COME TO YOU. If you engage him from afar, you won't pickup the Bear later in the fight.

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I just remember wandering around looking for rainbow rock and ran into the giant/bear and it was endgame. Tough way to find out there's a hill giant in the meadows. New players may find rainbow rock and never see the giant. You could finish the game and never know it was there, except for spoilers and advanced info from the forums. So, when Bro Smyth says bring me a head the next question should be, okay, where do I find a hill giant? If you did the endgame encounter then you know where it's at. Rainbow rock/skeleton priest and the giant are really tough encounters at level2/3. At those levels i'm not going looking for no hill giant. Too dangerous. I will have to wait a few levels.
    The giant has few more hp from the protos overhaul, but that's it as far as i can tell.

11. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Anyone walking anywhere in the game needs to take it slow, especially outdoors. Those undead in the meadow are tough too, but if you more slowly forward, you only get a few at a time.

The giant and bear are easy if you can hit them with an Entangle, best 1st level druid spell. Throw a Grease on top of it, then sit back and fire missiles all day. Or my favorite, sneak up on them then charm the bear and let them wail on each other while you fire away from afar.

Our Host!