Front End Problems

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by Libri, Jun 29, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Libri

Libri Member

Anyone every get a handle on this? I just bought a new computer, and this problem is biting in me the butt. I can install the game, update throught 5.0, have great fun playing for a few hours, but when I come back this comes up every time. I have done two complete reinstalls. Each time the problem is solved until I try to reopen the game hours later. There are other users using the computer in between, but they are not playing TOEE.

2. rufnredde

rufnredde Established Member Veteran

The front-end can sometimes do this if something, (and I not sure what this would be in your case), has accessed the directory, and even though it is closed now, still is holding it in memory. It could be as simple as the way that you are exitting ToEE when you are done playing.

If this is what is happening to you then logging off, and logging back in should clear it up. Other users should not pose a problem, unless they are open concurrently with you and have something in the ToEE directory accessed, which is unlikely.

So just try logging off, then back on and see if it will run. Otherwise all I can think of is some sort of mis-installation, but your description of the problem doesn't really support that.

As far as having a handle on it, it isn't a widespread problem, that feature is included to insure you get a clean start of the game. The frontend copies and moves some directories, to allow for multiple modules and does a good job of doing what it was designed to do.

Many people experience that error message, I know I have but it has always been due to my actions and not some bug in the programming, once I figure out what I am doing, I just don't do that anymore and the frontend is very well behaved.

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Is your computer running any memory management software, or Symantec products? Either of these could be the culprit.

Logging of and then back on may or may not solve the problem. Rebooting should though.

4. Libri

Libri Member

CB,

It's a brand new computer from Gateway, hence there is all kinds of crap on there, which I am slowly deleting/modifying/turning off as I figure it out. No Symantec (shudder), but does have Mcaffee, and some kind of error detecting program called Big Fix. Deactivating them does not seem to help. Logging off does not help, rebooting does not help. The only way to get it to work is to uninstall completely (and I mean completely, just unloading module, or uninstalling 5.0 does not do it). We're talking scorched earth. One thing this computer has is Windows XP Media, which I got talked into and am already unhappy with, wish I'd stuck with Pro.

Looking at the error messages they keep referencing "Could not find a part of the path 'Frontend\sound\cave_short.mp3'"

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  6. Libri

Libri Member

Appreciate the link Gaear, but I don't think that's it. I follow all the steps, deactivate module before deleting, etc... I have 5.0 running happily on my older (6 years, well maybe slowwwly would be a better descriptor) machine running XP Pro, so I'm reasonably sure the problem lies in the configuration of the new computer somehow.

7. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hmm, this is weird. I'd like to investigate further but in order to do that I'd need your directory structure (e.g. what files you have in what folders). It seems like something really rare has happened, possibly once the Frontend folder structure could not be moved to the module folder, and then ToEEFE got confused and went into a loop trying to resolve the directory structure state. I'd like to know the following:

1. Do you have the "Frontend" folder in your ToEE directory when you DON'T have ToEEFE started.

2. If you do, what's inside of it?

Then I may be able to help more and also improve ToEEFE to avoid this bug in the future.

- Agetian

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Heh, I've broken ToEEFE more times than most people, and I've had silmilar problems...

Transfering ToEE files to someone in Trillion will stop frontend from running until Trillion is restarted. :tears:

Leaving game files I've just been editing open when I try to launch ToEE. :doh:

Exiting the game by closing the window (in windowed mode only). :cry:

But not once have I broke it exactly the way that is described above. :shrugno:

9. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Yup, this seems to be a bug in Trillian that is caused by the fact that Trillian does not close the handle on the transferred file entirely.

Yup, it happens.

Hmm, haven't had this - usually it works just fine after I close the window in windowed mode. Not sure what causes this...

Yeah, there are a bunch of ways to break Toffee functionality, mostly because the front-end must grab control of the whole ToEE folder when it's operating. Anyway, I'm trying to do my best to make the execution of front-end as safe as I can (bug-wise), so all reports with as many details as possible are very welcome. :D

- Agetian

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I just got used to it being broken - error messages on every start-up, etc - but recently re-installed the latest version and now it runs flawlessly.

Woot woot woot woot woot!!!

Our Host!