Frequency of crashes?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Holywhippet, Oct 17, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Holywhippet

Holywhippet Member

How often does ToEE usually crash for people with the modpack installed? I've gotten up to exploring the moat house and the game seems fairly crash prone for me at the moment. Does it crash less depending on OS? I am running it on Windows 7.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I'm also running Win7 64 bit and my last two play-throughs of 8.1NC did not crash once.

Are you crashing in the same spots each time?

3. Holywhippet

Holywhippet Member

No, it varies. When I started it up today I was in the lower levels of the moathouse. I left through the exit to the SE of the map and it crashed there. I reloaded then headed out the same way again, went to the world map and back to the inn. I rested there, then it immediately crashed.

I wonder if it could be caused by the anti-virus software I'm running or something.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Try re-activating the module. It solved similar issues for me.

If it persists, I'd like you to post a save demonstrating this (see instructions in my sig)

5. Holywhippet

Holywhippet Member

Ok, here is my save file. For some reason none of my saves had the JPG files with them.

I tried reactivating the module but it didn't help.

Attached Files:

6. Sitra Achara

Thanks, it does seem unusually crash prone. I'll see if I can narrow it down to any particular cause.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  7. Holywhippet

Holywhippet Member

8. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

I now crash consistently when I try entering the leatherworker's house. The jeweller was also problematic, but I could get in after a couple of tries. Before that I visited the cabinet maker, which worked after I had dismissed Meleny's animal companion. No success though with the leatherworker after 20 or so attempts. In between I tried the tower in East Hommlet, where I didn't have a problem with map changes. Which is weird since I only have 6 people and entered all these shops without problems earlier in the game. And yes, I reactivated the module before the last couple tries.

More precisely, I either CTD or get the black screen and the game hangs forever while the music continues.

Attached Files:

9. Forgalz

Directly after uploading the saves I made it into the leatherworker's shop in the upteenth attempt, game proceeded normally from there on. Went to the temple, cleaned out level 1 with rests and map changes and no oddities (other than Spugnoir increasing his Dex to 32), went back to Nulb, sold at Otis', rested at my house, went to Hommlet, sold stuff to the cabinet maker and the jeweler, saved before entering the leatherworker's and of course it crashed again. Reloaded the save, now crashes with every map change. Had to go back to a Nulb save, did shopping (sans leatherworker) in Hommlet, traveled back to Nulb, entered my house, rested and crashed upon saving. It somehow feels like going to Hommlet is putting a taint on the whole game, and worse, saving there. Also it feels like the time to enter houses increases.

Since I read in the other thread that eyeglasses are supposed to break when you also have the merchant's scale, but mine haven't, I'm wondering whether the script that tries this is running amok?

I also had a feeling that crashes upon entering become more likely when a) the map is very small, and b) something is supposed to happen. For example, I crashed several times when trying to enter the Nulb house with the ambush waiting, but not since (after somebody had mopped up the floor, there were some problems when the bodies were still lying around), and entrance feels always quick and smooth now.

10. Forgalz

Now I reloaded my Nulb save, shopped around in Nulb, traveled the world map, had my encounters with Tillahi's and Thromell's errand persons, but avoided the Hommlet map. No problems and no signs of crashes. Try for yourself and compare the with/without Hommlet scenarios. I'm curious whether anyone can reproduce this.

Attached Files:

11. Sitra Achara

Thanks for posting the saves,
    unfortunately it seems like there's not much I can do with - can't seem to narrow it down to any particular cause.

12. Sitra Achara

13. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

My system is 64-bit Windows 7. I'm using Co8 New Content 8.1.0. My game, aside from places where my group fights an overwhelming number of enemies (33+?), has crashed about once an hour, probably due to the amount of memory used.

Our Host!