Forced to marry Fruella?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Hal900x, Apr 1, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

Hello again. I guess my first question was either too ignorant or unanswerable, hopefully the latter. Let us hope neither condition applies to my next: in Homlett, I have completed both conversion quests before speaking with Terjon about conversion back to the Old Faith. IIRC, Terjon should now be amenable to allowing Marek to convert. Not so. It seems the only way is to marry Fruella, and that's not gonna happen. I checked the vanilla walkthrough to confirm that I shouldn't be forced to do so, so perhaps this is a Co8 thing? Let me know if I'm missing something, thanks!

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    Just out of curiosity, what is your "Face" character's (the one that does all the talking) Charisma and Diplomacy scores ?? I wonder if you ended up where you did because of either a Low Diplomacy score, a low Charisma Ability, or both. I have never seen (or heard of) someone being "Forced" to marry Fruella in order to complete the Carpenter's Dilemma quest. The way I have always solved it was to get Jak Borton, the Leatherworker to convert to St. Cuthbert by healing Bing.
    The Royal Canadian

3. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

My face character is a human Bard with 17 Charisma. Diplomacy is at 8 currently. All speech skills are maxed. I used precisely your solution: I did both separate conversion quests before bringing up the reverse conversion issue to Terjon, as recommended by a vanilla walkthrough on Gamebanshee. I did the first conversion quest, turned it in. Did the second, turned it in. I got the usual congratulations from Terjon. After that, in spite of pursuing every branch of the dialog tree, he still insists I marry Fruella, as if I had skipped Jak.

4. Gavial

Gavial Member

I have recently done these quests. This time I forgot that I should not save help jakk (or rather bing) until I have told terjon that marek (the carpenters apprentice? is that his name) wants to convert to old faith. If you help jakk before this then terjon will require that you convert the miller (if I remember correct, or was it fruellas father? I can not remember).

I know this was a bit confused, but in short.
    Do not help jakk until you have told terjon that someone wants to convert to old faith.

5. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

That makes sense actually. I did both quests and turned them in before asking, so according to you I had the wrong order. Since there seems to be NO way to get rid of Fruella once joined, I guess I'm not getting my Holy sword this time through.

6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Hal
    Thanks for the info regarding the importance of doing the "FedEx" quests in the right order. There is one way to get rid of Fruella...... if she dies in combat you are "free" to "court" Meleny. By the way in addition to the Longsword you get from Meleny's father, there are are at least 4 other Holy weapons out there, to include one you can buy when you have enough money.
    The Royal Canadian

7. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Just to let others know, you can marry both Fruella AND Meleny at the same time while they are BOTH still alive. Found that out myself when I tried to be a bigamist and played it all out. Then just to play it out more I married the gay version of the pirate in Nulb (Forget his name , darn it) for even more kicks and giggles.

8. kevx74

kevx74 Member

Yep, just as a confirmation, if you do not want to marry Fruella then you should not do one of the other convert quests, healing bing or the miller's apprentice. When you are trying to get Terjon to allow the carpenter's apprentice to convert to old faith he requires just one convert in return so if you still have the millers apprentice or Bing's family left unconverted he will want one of them, if you've already done both of those then he will require Fruella's family be converted resulting in a forced marriage. I personally do them all anyways and just let the harpy die at the earliest convenience :twisted:
    Wow, I just realized this was my very first post and I have been a member since 2008 how pathetic is that? :blink:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  9. Hal900x

Hal900x Member

So if she dies (or *ahem* meets with an "accident" courtesy of my evil party), then I will automatically stop carrying her corpse around once I marry someone else? Also, is there any reason not to slay Fruella myself?

10. florian1

florian1 Established Member

If you stand around for 24 hours, her corpse will decompose, and disappear from your party.

11. florian1

florian1 Established Member

The only reason not to slay her yourself is how you want to play the game. If you are good, then it wouldn't be appropriate role playing. Except for Paladins, I don't think there are any consequences to murdering her. I've never done it in front of witnesses though.....

12. Gavial

Gavial Member

Ok, so it was not just my imagination that I got the task to convert the millers apprentice, not fruellas father. Good to know since I have yet to do that quest. (Did not really go for the conversation-skills after level 1 ).

13. kevx74

kevx74 Member

I personally don't kill her myself, but see no reason not too really unless it breaks your roleplay. I'm usually of a chaotic good alignment so I don't commit murder, but I have no problem going to a random encounter and letting her go up to the beasties nekkid & alone to her fate. I then just remove her from my party and loot her corpse for her cleaver. My reasoning is: it's still withing my alignment because I am doing the world a favor by ridding it of a nagging, annoying wench with a grating voice, who may bring people to commit suicide if left to live, I believ her father was very close to that himself. Besides she never really loves your character anyways, she just agrees to marries for the church wedding.

14. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Doesn't the miller apprentice want to convert to the old faith?

15. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

pYou can click the little symbol on any dead noc in your group and once you ok the delete their portrait will be deleted from your party and you can leave the body to rot away. If you really wanted to be macabre go into the Inn and then do it. No one will say anything about a body in the middle of the common room either. :D

Our Host!