Flay´s quest

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by ConjurerDragon, Jul 22, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

In his 3rd quest Flay asks for the outright theft of an item.

As he´s a cleric of Wee Jas
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wee_Jas#Dogma
    and she is Lawful Neutral that would mean that he could be typically expected either to share the same alignment or be one of the fewer clerics that are one step away from their gods alignment, so perhaps LE, LN, LG. Protos.tab has him LN.

So how could he give such a quest? Wouldn´t it make more sense instead of

{23} {Flay, Cleric of Wee Jas, has asked you to steal a Tome of Infernal Magic from the Keep's Wizard. He has offered some Clerical scrolls and a magic item as payment.}

and his clear text to steal

Good! You've heard something of the Keep's wizard, yes? He is a disagreeable and unreliable sort. In his quarters he now hides a tome of Infernal Magic. It may be concealed among his other books or hidden somewhere. I require that tome. In exchange, I can offer you a number of useful scrolls, and perhaps an item blessed by my Goddess. What say you?

, to have something that would avoid any clear violation of the law and ask for it like
    "To prevent future harm coming from the dangerous studies of explicitely evil arcane books by the keeps wizard, whose disagreeable and unreliable disposition clearly show that his hunger for power might corrupt him even more, I urge you to procure the Tome of Infernal Magic from his library. Left in his hands I fear that he might be tempted to use the powers of that book to raise dead against their will which my godess can´t allow to happen."

That would make that quest not only acceptable for the NE path, but for NG too.

Edit: Why doesn´t my attampt at a Spoiler work? The spoiler tags include the quoted texts but they hide only the text in between? Can´t quoted text be spoilered? Seems to be it - when I remove the "quote" marking the text becomes hidden and the "spoiler" works.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Apparently not?

Flay's alignment behaviour at this point is imperfect, and he is put on the spot for it (without metagaming language like "alignment behaviour") if you play it through. What you've suggested sounds like something he would rationalise to himself, not necessarily to the player.

Spoiler:
    in any case, he's a red herring character. NG players are meant to be reticent about working with him. Happily many still will - that's the nature of role-playing. If you don't want your characters to work with him on what sounds an unlawful quest - heck, what IS an unlawful quest - then refuse.

Our Host!