Flaw in the avatar battle (Demigods)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BenWH, Aug 2, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Just did this battle again and I got the same result: the Iuz avatars collected around my downed thief and continued to attack whilst I picked them off. I now know why they do this - the thief is wearing the periapt of wound closure, so he takes nonlethal damage from hits and they never treat him as dead. As he is also the nearest to them, they continue to beat him up, even when he reaches -4500hp and -34 strength. Maybe that could use a fix? Maybe if strength goes negative the character dies, or they could do a coup de grace on him?

2. maalri

maalri Immortal

LOL, sounds like a good "exploit" to me! Hope they don't fix it before I get that far into the game.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think that may actually be a result of them trying to CDG, because that's the first instructions in their strategies. They must see the man down as CDGable. I don't really want to remove that instruction, as I think they are much more deadly in general having it. Unfortunately ToEE's AI is pretty rudimentary, so I can't think of anything right off to avoid the issue.

4. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Any way to ensure a CDG deals lethal damage every time?

Anyway, as far as I recall they still use all 9 attacks (or however many Iuz has), so not sure it is a CDG. If I find the same situation this time through, I'll confirm.

5. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Does the AI have the capability of coup de grace?

6. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

For a list of all of the commands that the A.I. is capable of doing in this computer game, see the following link:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6276

Originally posted by Sitra Achara:
    This is what the SRD (System Reference Document) states about Coup de Grace:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No. For all the robustness of ToEE in other areas, the AI is pretty primitive. There is only 'coup de grace,' not 'coup de grace in fashion x if a and b but not c.' You have to do complex scripting to get the effects of the AI actually seeming to think.

Yes, per the AI command mentioned above, limited as described above by SA in gazra's link.

Our Host!