Fallen paladin question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by DanDavis, Mar 21, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. DanDavis

DanDavis Member

Once a paladin falls, how do you get him back to full paladin status? The instructions say that "he must find a cleric willing to cast the spell atonement on him". I don't see this spell listed anywhere.

Or is it that once a paladin falls, he's that way for good?

2. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

Look for the right cleric.

In digging, I've doc'ed the call to set atonement, and the query to find out whether it's happened, AND saw the code in a dialog file that does the work, so it's all in the game.

I'm not being non-specific to avoid spoilers, I actually haven't needed to do this in-game, so I truly don't know how. But I do know "it's in there."

-- dul

3. Sindegra

Sindegra Member

Since I don't want to waste dulcaoion's fun. So I will only give a hint. There are two priests in Hommlet. 1 of them does this. (doesn't terjon seem to look alot like a radical pope?) :D (I am atheïst by the way)

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Paladins.

Paladins are tough to play and they have a lot of restrictions. I played once with 4 of them and a LG cleric. That party was not especially successful and a pain to play. One married Meleny and got the Holylongsword+1 and was really tough on undead, but I see no advantage in playing Paladins. Then again, a Chaotic Neutral Dwarf fighter is more my style. They don't go fallen and can go to the brothel if they want.

5. DanDavis

DanDavis Member

Terjon did it, but it cost me 8,000 gold.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Completing his quests should lower his price.

7. Rook Hudson

Rook Hudson Member

Here is an odd thing: Paladins are not supposed to want to stay in a party with an evil character in it; paladins are not supposed to tolerate any form of evil, right ? The thing is, if you have a sorceror or wizard in your party and he/she is able to cast the Animate Dead spell he/she can summon undead into the party. Since the game says that Animate Dead is an evil spell (believe me, it's in there) this means the paladin ends up in a party with evil characters (summoned skeletons or zombies and the sorceror or wizard who created them). Even though the sorceror or wizard is not evil per se by casting Animate Dead and bringing undead into the party he/she has behaved in an evil way and compromised the paladin. In real life the paladin should not tolerate this and try to either turn the undead and destroy them a.s.a.p. or leave the party, or become fallen for tolerating an evil act (as I said casting Animate Dead is an evil act according to the game). In the game however the paladin is completely unaffected. Work that one out !

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  8. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

Yeah the Paladin system is kindof messed up. It works for quests but i managed to have Darley (in her half-demon shape) in my paladin's group without him falling

9. Jota

Jota Member

Anyone knows the rule?(page from 3.5 Books) where say that Paladins cant party with evil characters with out fall.

10. Allyx

The 3.0 D&D rules do NOT state that casting animate dead is an evil act in the spell description, as a DM for 10 years though I (if I were the DM in Toee) would consider changing the casters alignment one step closer to evil, as Toee is unable to change this after the characters have been generated, I don't know what can be done, If it eases your paladin's mind just tell him that "Animate dead" is actually "Animate object" that happens to have a skelleton as the target!

11. Allyx

Jota -

"Code of conduct:
    A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all special class abilities if she ever willingly commits an act of evil. Additionally, a paladins code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheeting, not using poison, ect.)help those who need help (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those that harm or threaten innocents.

Associates:
    While she may adventure with characters of any neutral or good alignment, a paladin will never knowingly assosciate with evil characters, A paladin will not continue an assosciation with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may only hire henchmen or accept followers who are lawful good.

Ex-Paladins.
    A paladin who ceases to be lawful good, who willfully commits an evil act, or who grossly violates the code of conduct loses all special abilities and spells, including the services of the paladins warhorse. She may also not gain any levels as a paladin. She regains her abilities if she atones for her violations as appropriate."

3.0 Players handbook page 43

12. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

It would not take much work to add more triggers to cause a Paladin to fall.

All I would need would be a list of things that should trigger a fall.

I can then very easily trigger those things to cause a Paladin to fall...

For instance if it is agreed that casting Animate Dead would cause your Paladin to fall then it would be EXTREMELY easy to make this happen...

All I need is a list...

- Livonya

13. dulcaoin

Hmm. I'm certain I figured out and presented how to change a character's alignment in another thread.

game.party[X].npc_flag_set(npc_f_alignment, X), or something very similar.

Just a side note. :)

-- dulcaoin

14. dulcaoin

I think that this could be tough to do entirely "properly", since I would think the "proper" thing to do would be to allow the spell to occur, and then if the Paladin didn't attack the animated evil npc quickly enough, THEN he would fall.

Perhaps if, on first cast, you present the user with some feedback about how Pally's not feeling so good about things, on second cast he's REALLY feeling ill, and then on third, cause him to fall. :)

-- dulcaoin

15. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

D -

Again, that would be easy to do I would just need a list of things that a Paladin would find objectionable...

Actually, now that we discuss this... I think it would be awesome to add an NPC Paladin that can join your party... but make a lot of triggers in which he would go hostile.

- Livonya

Our Host!