Extend spell stacking?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by bigchris1234, Apr 12, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. bigchris1234

bigchris1234 Member

I just want to lead off by saying that this is a somewhat unusual and quite specific question. I don't think the average ToEE player(or even PnP) player would know the answer to this......

I have been experimenting with casting buffing spells and increasing their duration using the extend spell. I have yet to really test this but it appears that so far that they can only double twice.
    For example, my 9th level cleric memorizes owl's wisdom(a 2nd level spell) with the extend spell feat applied to it. The extend spell feat should double the duration from 90 rounds to 180 and now take up a 3rd level slot instead of the second level slot. Now if I take this extended owl's wisdom spell and apply the extend spell feat to that it should now be a 4th level spell and last for 360 rounds. I did that and sure enough my owl's wisdom 4th level, doulbe extended spell worked as I predicted it would. Now I put it in a 5th level slot(extending the 4th level version) and it did not go up to 720 rounds.

So here is my question. Does the extend spell feat stop stacking after the second applicaton as it would appear based and what I just observed or maybe I did something wrong???

Like I initilally said, I have not really done a lot of experimenting on this but I feel that it might be quite usefull with clerics due to the fact they have many different buffing spells at low level and thus they can be doubled quite easily and thus give characters key boosts for a long period of time. In addition, sometimes I find myself not really liking spell options for my cleric. Now I can just use an extended buff spell to fill up any slots.

Thanks for reading this and I hope I was able to explain what it is that I was talking about!!

2. Mortificator

Mortificator Member

According to the rules, it shouldn't be possible to apply the same metamagic feat more than once to a single spell. You can prepare an extended-enlarged spell, for example, but not an extended-extended spell. Check out http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm and scroll down to "Multiple Metamagic Feats on a Spell."

ToEE's implementation is correct in that an extended-extended spell doesn't count and is just like an extended spell. However, it's probably a mistake that its spell preparation interface lets you add the same metamagic feat more than once in the first place.

3. bigchris1234

bigchris1234 Member

Hey Mort, thanks for answering my question and thanks for the link. I guess it may just be a mistake that allows me to apply the same feat twice to a given spell. But it still is nice to be abe to do it to spells like haste and imporved invis.

Our Host!