entering the Ah Fong Emporium and CTD

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by krunch, Sep 16, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I keep having the same issue concerning entering the Ah Fong Emporium and CTD.

It happens on, both, Win2000 and WinXP. If I load a previous saved game in Win2000 or WinXP, the party CAN enter the Ah Fong Emporium and buy gear. It does not matter whether or not the Nulb Village Woman is standing in front of the shop. It always starts to happen at a point in the game after I am done with the Nulb quests and I kill everyone in the Hostel and Tavern. Letting Pearl and Lodriss live and not killing them makes no difference. After killing the NPCs in both places, entering the Ah Fong Emporium causes a CTD. The party can walk around Nulb and no one attacks the party. The party can enter any shop or building and the brothel, as well, except for the Ah Fong Emporium which causes a CTD.

Any ideas..?

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I am almost at a point where I expect the Ah Fong Emporium to be only for when a party first goes to Nulb to get new gear that would be otherwise unavailable and, at some near point thereafter, it is no longer available like the Ah Fong Emporium is not in the game.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

fyi - my installation procedure

1. Update Windows for ToEE video and audio by installing BINK video [RADtools] and Miles audio [Miles Sound Player] for Windows updates. (2 single-file executables)
    rebooted
    2. Install Official ToEE Patch1. (executable install file)
    3. Install Vicks&Wedge MOD. (manually added ... !!! removed their splash screen)
    4. Install Official ToEE Patch2. (executable install file)
    5. Install Co8 Fan Fixes 3.0.4. (executable install file)
    6. Install Livonya's MOD Beta 1.5.1. (executable install file)
    rebooted
    7. Add Allyx Shop Map v1. (manually added)
    8. Add Allyx Data. (manually added)
    9. Add Cujo MOD. (manually added)
    10. Add Cujo four new files. (manually added)
    11. Add ShiningTed new voices. (manually added)
    12. Add ShiningTed MOD v1.0. (manually added ... delete specified meshes folders)
    13. Add ShiningTed patch 1.2.0. (manually added)
    14. Add Allyx Shop Map v2. (manually added)
    15. Add Portraits. (manually added)
    16. Add Pregen Characters. (manually added ... no saved games added)
    17. Add Humble PC patch. (executable install file ... available and used)
    18. Add PC Count patch v2. (executable install file ... available but not used)
    rebooted

[EDIT]
    By profession, I am a Network Engineer, and I am very meticulous, to include steps like the above as in systems engineering applications and their requirements [and reporting bugs].
    [EDIT]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

If step 7 through step 14 of the above is accepted and, likewise, is to be implemented at some interval of time for an official Co8 single file executable installation, all of this needs to work together, right?

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I do realize and understand that many people have spent a lot of time MODding to bring this to pass and I, myself - for one, am completely appreciative of the total man-hours the undertaking of this project has pursued and conquered to make playing ToEE much more exciting and playable in the many facets and arenas that the new levels of playing ToEE has achieved by the efforts of the many.

Thanks to all of you!.. :)

6. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Hey Krunch, steps 7-11 and 12-14 are available in a single unzip Toffee Pro version (you still have to install Ted's voices to your root install separately). Toffee Pro is the way to go. I think Allyx also posted standard (non-Toffee) combo installations of those steps, but I can't find them at the moment.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I should have the correct non-Toffee versions of the shop map and other zip file downloads. The versions I have extract to these folders.

[EDIT]
    shop map version 1 : Allyx's_shop_map : 5.11 MB and 2,164 files, 18 folders

shop map version 2 : Allyx's_shop_map2 : 6.04 MB and 338 files, 17 folders
    [EDIT]

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

It works great like when starting a new game and it strips characters of items and places the characters at a MODded verbobonc caravan with tradesman with all the non-magical stuff [with some extra cash]. And, as a final what-else-do-you-need, it places a tradesman at the entry point where your party starts the game. And, until the point in the game where it begins to CTD when a party enters the Ah Fong Emporium, the Ah Fong Emporium works as expected until that point in the game.

I do not know how much of this is integrated between the MODs.

9. Cerulean the Blue

Hey, what I was trying to say is that there is a format available that takes 7 of your steps and rolls them into 1 step. Plus it has the absolutely latest version of everything. No keeping track of which version is the latest and only one install rather than seven. Oh, and that Toffee Pro absolutely ROCKS and is a must for anybody.

Edit: Btw you do realize that Shop Map 1 and 2 aren't meant to be installed at the same time. You will get more money than intended and you will lose longswords and scimitars that you may have bought.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Q: Can the Toffee version patch installation be used without installing and using Toffee? (I am expecting it's a big no.)

11. Cerulean the Blue

You are correct. That is a big no. Unless you want to manually copy everything in the folders in data.ted's_1.2.0 into the folders in the data folder, and everything from the modules/Teds_1.2.0 into the corresponding folders in modules, except for temple.dll, which will to in the ToEE directory.

What do you have against Toffee?

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

If no, the question, "What does using Toffee do differently compared to manually copying the folders and files?" comes to mind. (I am wearing a systems engineer ballcap here.)

Also, is there one or more file version differences between what was provided for non-Toffee and Toffee versions of the MODs? (more of wearing the systems engineer ballcap)

I guess this is my next step with the ball in my court, that is, looking at both installations.

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I have nothing against Toffee. I've never used it. In my thinking, if it works for one, it should work for the other. Except in the case that there is a file version difference for one or more files where an update was provided for Toffee version, but not for the non-Toffee version.

14. Cerulean the Blue

The Toffee Pro versions do not overwrite or replace anything in the root install. All new and changed files are placed in separate folders. For example, all the data stuff for Ted's 1.2.0 is in a folder called data.Ted's_1.2.0 in the ToEE root directory, and all the modules stuff in in modules/Ted's_1.2.0. When you start Toffee Pro, it lists the unmodded version of ToEE and all the Toffee Pro compatable mods you have installed, and you choose which you want to run. If you have drifters max hp patcher installed in the ToEE root directory you can enable or disable it's various options from Toffe Pro, as well as run the PC Count Patcher.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Most all people as average people would let this go and would either use Toffee or just not use the Ah Fong shop after a point in the game.

The way my head is wired as gray matter, I cannot just let it go; it does not work, and I have to know why. Not to a program code level, but, at least, to a file version or other reason if it can be determined. That's just me, plain and simple.

Our Host!