Divinity: Original Sin

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WinstonShnozwick, Jul 29, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Wow, this game is without a doubt one of the best CRPG's released within at least the past 5 years. I highly encourage everyone who is a fan of Temple to pick it up. For Temple vetrans, you will find Divinity: Original Sin extremely familiar in gameplay mechanics. There are differences in the loot/combination system and element/action point combat mechanics, but they are all great. And the game, much like Temple, does NOT hold your hand, it is extremely flexible and gives you a lot of freedom in completing quests in multiple ways and losing fights for making simple mistakes.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Seconded. Larian are true bros, heralds of the turn based RPG incline. (they also cite ToEE as an influence btw)

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I agree and backed it early on.

The only drawback I've found is the almost cartoonish graphics, although the environments are beautifully rendered.

Btw, the game will hold your hand if you want it to, (tab button). :p

4. WinstonShnozwick

I realized this was undoubtedly game of the year today.

After walking over an ice patch I made and comically falling flat on my back and knocked down for a few seconds.

Then I met a talking wishing well who spoke in alliteration of w's and asked me to help rescue his kidnapped brother from an alternate dimension.

5. sirchet

If you don't have the trait to talk to animals, get it next time you level.

Some of my favorite voices and one liners have been from rats and bunnies so far. :)

6. WinstonShnozwick

I just got the cutscene from Zixzax about the lady I encountered at the end of time. It just took the game's storyline from tentatively interesting to completely enchanting.

7. dragonalumni

dragonalumni Elemental Warrior

This game is without doubt the new generation version of Baldur's Gate, Temple of Elemental Evil etc. I believe anyone who liked those games will be thrilled with this 2014 beauty. Divinity: Original Sin.

I came back to this forum just to post a note about this game and finding my job has already been done I will simply leave my endorsement with the others.

After playing the game several days, re-rolling a couple of times and getting my ass kicked after leaving the intro area, I feel in love with this game. I'm just gonna say 1 thing, I quit playing it for 3 days because I didn't realize how many gates the city has, all of the npcs outside each gate was owning me until I found the exit with npcs my level. Also pick up the 2 henchman/companions in the town for a party of 4. After that it's smooth sailing.. haha.. more or less. I've wiped so many times I've lost count.. but yeah..

glhf

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

There is a sort of co8 related easter egg in the game... can anyone find it? :)

9. WinstonShnozwick

The game has been steadily growing larger and more complex as I've played it. I thought the first large map was the bulk of the game, and then I found two more, which makes me feel like the 20 odd hours I spent having the time of my life was only about 25% of the game. I keep finding new amazing things like how fun the stealth can be when I was forced to use it to stay away from some Death Knights (stay away!), and how amazing smoke clouds are when I used one around my duo, preventing the enemies from attacking me for multiple rounds.

This game is on a level of its own, and I can definitely say it has taken the feel of older CRPG's like ToEE and quite improved various parts of it. Larion has become my second favorite dev thanks to seeing the development and outcome of this game.

10. sirchet

Don't forget to try and walk up most of the streams, some will let you follow them to other small areas.

But, you guys probably already found some, right?

11. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

Sirchet, how does this game compare to TOEE?

Is it worth the ~$36 ?

It's the first isometeric, turn based game, I've seen in a while so I'm kinda reading this thread & keeping my fingers crossed :)

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Can I ask, what sort of specs do you need? I just got a new desktop (Win 8, god help me) but it was very cheap, onboard graphics and sound etc - will it suffice?

13. sirchet

tomthefighter and Ted, yes and yes. :)

In my opinion the game is worth well more than is being asked and is rather enjoyable.

A thing to keep in mind is that the developers are a light hearted group and the game is filled with many chuckles, although not to the point of "Oh God it's a Disney Game".

It's very TOEE ... esque, but with more vibrant colors.

Many people are running the game on laptops with pretty low specs, you might not get to experience the uber resolutions, but you can run the game on a low end machine. I believe the Larian site has the specs posted.

If you enjoy TOEE, you're missing out by not playing this one, (hope it doesn't side track the Shiney one from patching KotB).

14. WinstonShnozwick

Wow, those immaculates are messed up.

15. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I'd like to hunt this game down to try it but I have an older e-machine pc and while I looked at the required specs on the website I have no real idea if what I have will handle this game. My pc has Win 7, an AMD Athlon IIx2 255 dual core processor and Nvidia GeForce 6150SE graphics card, 500 gig hd and 4GB DDR3 memory- is this enough to run this game?

Our Host!