craftable items in toee (with mod)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by zen_virgil, Oct 28, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. zen_virgil

zen_virgil Member

hi! i'm new here. i just would like to know if the items listed in http://d20srd.org/indexes/magicItems.htm craftable in toee? i have the co8 mod with the 5.0.2 cumulative fixes.

for instance, is a sun blade craftable in any way? the d20 resource says this about sun blade:
    i would just like to be sure because crafting these items would be cool. and i'm planning to have my fighter/paladin wield a sun blade, if it's possible. :yes:

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

It is not possible to craft a Sun Blade in ToEE.

3. zen_virgil

zen_virgil Member

oh, that's rather disappointing. :sadblinky in what game can the sun blade and other magic items listed there be crafted then? what does the d20 reference system serve then?

4. Cerulean the Blue

There are a lot of magic items in the d20 reference that can be crafted. The Sun Blade is not among them. The underlying abilities of the Sum Blade are not coded into the game engine, nor is it possible for us to do so. Furthermore, ToEE is an adaptation of a 1st Edition D&D module to the 3.5 Edition rules. The Sun Blade did not exist in 1st Edition D&D, so it is not in ToEE.

The d20 reference system if for Pen and Paper D&D, i.e the actual role playing game, not the computer role playing game. ToEE is the closest any computer game has ever come to the real Pen and Paper D&D role playing game, but no computer game will ever completely capture the experience of a live DM and real people sitting around a table playing D&D.

I know of no computer game that allows the crafting of a Sun Blade.

5. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

However, you can craft 'Gregor's Arm of Holy Might'.

A +3 Holy, Keen, Flaming Halberd. Fun for the whole (Evil) family.:yes:

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

why would a holy weapon be fun for an evil family?

7. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

Give it to your Goody goody fighter and show it to the Evil family in the Temple, you will see why then....

8. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Just a small correction if the Mighty Cerulean will allow me :p

The Sun Blade existed in the Unearthed Arcana of 1985, and had been previously introduced in a AD&D 1st edition module (I6 Ravenloft, I believe...). It might not be considered Old School first edition, but it definitely was there before 2nd edition came along.

In any case I totally agree that it is not an item that fits with the ToEE at all... or that it is required. And in any case, crafting other kinds of weapons fits just fine...

[/useless historical digression]

9. Cerulean the Blue

I stand corrected. Thank you. :)

I never used Unearthed Arcana, nor played Ravenloft.

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

You've missed out, Bluie. A situation I can remedy, should we ever meet.

Almost...Ravenloft featured a unique item known as the Sunsword. This is not quite the same thing as the Sun Blade found in the UA. They are not totally dissimilar, and it easy to understand your confusion, what with the intevening decades & all.

11. Radish

Radish Member

Though you can find one in Baldur's Gate 2.

12. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Nope - that was the Daystar (or was it Dayblade?) Close, but not quite.

13. Radish

Radish Member

It was Daystar. But except for the name and not being a short sword and bastard sword atthesametime it was feature-for-feature a sun blade.

14. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Agreed, with L_S there... quite some interesting stuff in th eoriginal unearthed arcana, as in the wilderness and dungeoneer's survival guides that followed...

Aha! So that was the thing I vaguely remembered... But was the sun blade introduced in the UA or in another module, L_S?

15. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

WotC actually just released an updated and expanded version of the original Ravenloft module, if anyone wants to take a crack at it with the modern rules. I have no idea how it stacks up to the original, though.

Our Host!