Circle of Eight Modpack 5.6.0 General Commentary and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Aug 31, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. maalri

maalri Immortal

Hey Gaear and other revered modders...

I know that 5.6 is delayed a bit (I hope it comes out soon), so this isn't about that.

I read G's announcement and I didn't see anything about new Portraits.. I was under the impression that there were more in this release from previous threads, is that so?

Anyway looking foward to Jayfie being fixed and finding out whats new with the Sheep of BJ.

I think it is a good idea to remove Welkwood and its references for now, until the full addition is ready, it is a big (pretty) tease!

So, last thought, all games are gonna be reset- right? as usual? but we don't have to do a full reinstall right?

Well, this is me waiting and asking... and thanking in advance.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Re: 5.6.0 Questions and thoughts

There will be no new selectable PC portraits in 5.6 (or any other forseeable upcoming release), but there are some additional NPC portraits.

Actually Welkwood Bog is going to stay the same in 5.6 as it is in 5.5. It's Verbobonc, Hickory Branch, the Orc Cave, and the Moathouse Respawn that are going away temporarily.

Correct - as long as you're already using TFE-X (which you will be if you've been playing 5.5) you don't have to reinstall ToEE. You just have to install the modpack per instructions and activate it in TFE-X. You will not be able to use old saves.

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Verbobonc, Hickory Branch, Orc Cave and Moathouse Respawn are going away? Is there anything being ADDED? :suprised:

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Balance, my dear boy - balance.

5. maalri

maalri Immortal

I'm gonna miss those... LOVED the Moathouse Respawn...

6. Lum Levits

Lum Levits Member

I for one did notice a heavy unbalance issue with 5.0/5.5. However it was because I was used to playing ToEE original with no mods. It forces you to want to create high stat character and make your own equipment.

I just played 5.5 all the way through using one roll stats and using only the items I was able to buy or find....with the exception of a helm of reading magic. I found it very challenging except for level 3 which has a few moments but for the most part is very unchallenging everytime I play.

I just downloaded 5.6 installed it and started to play this morning. I went to the bog to see if anything changed and on my return I crashed to desk top. Upon coming here and reading the other mods were taken out I will switch back to 5.5, I didnt find the few encounted bugs too upsetting, certenly not enough to miss hours of play those mods created.

7. Gaear

It sounds like some of you guys need a primer on what exactly the plan is. We put this information in news posts so that you can, you know, sort of know what's going on, so please see the ToEE news thread here that details this information, specifically posts 4 and 5.

Being as the all the major new content expansions are being overhauled and rebalanced for high level play, we have to remove them from where they were in previous mod packs at some point. And part of the point behind this release is to ascertain whether removing them restores the vanilla balance, which is one of our major objectives. So there's really no way around it.

As has been stated here and elsewhere, if you really really really can't stand the idea of not playing the new content for a while, simply play ToEE unbalanced in 5.5. But if you choose to do that, you should not complain about balance issues.

[edit]

Changed title and stickied thread. This shall henceforth be the general discussion thread for 5.6.0.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  8. EntropyMu

EntropyMu Member

My question would be: what will you do if removing them doesn't restore the vanilla balance? Would you implement them back in for the next patch, or continue on the outline described already?

9. Gaear

Continue with the present outline. We couldn't very well have the original versions of the expansions and the new ones together.

I would be very surprised if at least some approximation of vanilla balance is not restored, btw. But it will be nice to know for sure.

10. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

We are all your beta guinea pigs - AND loving it!

11. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

I've noticed a couple of bugs unique to this edition. Where do I share them?

12. Gaear

13. Gaear

I have been unable to replicate a crash when travelling from Welkwood to Hommlet. Is it Hommlet you were returning to? Any other compromising activity, like console use or trying to use saves from 5.5?

14. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Not doing well here. Four dead and my wizard has been killed 3 times. What I get for playing a legal game. I'm on day 272 or so and no masterwork items from Bro Smyth. It probably wont matter as everyone is going to be dead soon at the rate I'm going. At least Fruella is alive and strong.

15. Gaear

Just tested this and it worked perfecty fine for me. Obvious question I have to ask - did you give Smyth the giant's head? You don't even have to leave the map anymore, incidentally; after x amount of time he's ready to deal, period.

Our Host!