Changes in Co8 6.0.2

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Feb 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Coming to Co8 6.0.2 ...

In keeping with our spirit of fidelity to both the PnP module and Troika CRPG, Co8 6.0.2 will feature the following:

1. Scather and Fragarach restored to their original models and icons.

2. The Moathouse chests restored to their original trap, lock, and DC statuses, as follows:
    • Moathouse tower spider's ivory chest: this started life in ToEECRPG as an unlocked and untrapped chest that contained some silver, copper, three scrolls, and two potions. In PnP, there was just the silver and copper scattered around, and the chest itself, which was valuable. In later Co8 versions it became locked and trapped with a high DC. In 6.0.2 it will become unlocked and untrapped again, and it will contain all the coins and items from vanilla. Being as the chest itself can't be taken and sold, but being as Troika still had it there anyway, it might as well contain all that stuff. (Presumably the spider didn't put it there, but some other sentient entity who used to use the place did.)

• Moathouse dungeon ghouls' chest: in ToEECRPG vanilla it was unlocked and untrapped, and it contained 7 vials of holy water, a bunch of silver, and two potions. In PnP there was the same loot, except that it was scattered around in the 'ghouls' nest' behind the hole in the crypt wall. In Co8 it became locked and trapped with a high DC, and somehow a different set of inventory got in there - two unrelated scrolls and three healing potions. In 6.0.2 the loot will consist of the original silver, holy water, and potions, and it will be scattered around in the 'ghouls' nest,' per PnP. There will be no chest. (I think this makes sense, as the ghouls would not be likely to put their 'stuff' in a chest, nor would they be intelligent enough to lock it and/or trap it. It's just dreck that they've accumulated.)

• Moathouse dungeon crayfish loot: in ToEECRPG vanilla this contained two scrolls. In PnP the loot was scattered around and there was a lot more to it all - watertight tubes containing scolls in the pool, etc. In Co8 it became locked and trapped with a high DC. In 6.0.2 there will just be the two scrolls (per Troika) lying around near the pool (per PnP). There will be no chest. The crayfish would not likely have treasured possessions, and if he did, he would not likely be smart or adept enough to put them in a chest and lock and trap it. As with the spider, it's mostly just supposed to be crap that was left there from the misadventures of other unfortunates.

• Moathouse interior fine chest: in vanilla ToEE there was no such thing. In PnP there was, unlocked and untrapped, and it contained coins, scale armor, a light crossbow, and some bolts. In Co8 it was added, locked with a reasonable DC, and it contained all the above, plus the crossbow was upgraded to masterwork and silver and magical bolts were added. In 6.0.2 the silver and magical bolts will go, but the masterwork crossbow will stay, as regular ones are a dime a dozen. The chest will be unlocked and untrapped, per PnP.

• Scroll of Raise Dead in Moathouse Interior: not sure where this came from but it's not in either vanilla or PnP, so it will go unless someone can explain or justify it.

• Lareth's diary: In ToEECRPG vanilla it was unlocked and untrapped, and Lareth (if he was living) would not object to you reading it. I don't think it was in PnP at all. In Co8 it became locked and trapped with a high DC, and Lareth was made to object to you reading it if he was alive. In 6.0.2 it will become unlocked and untrapped again (so that you can read it while its contents are still relevant), but if Lareth is still alive, he will continue to object to you reading it.
    I realize that these moves are clipping some of Livonya's long-exalted mods for Co8, but I think that they must be done to restore fidelity. Livonya wanted to make rogues a necessity, admittedly because she liked rogues. She even stated that if you didn't like her subjective changes, you shouldn't play her mod. Troika did not want to make the game unplayable or unduly difficult without rogues, as they envisioned it as an almost entirely free-form endeavor. These two positions can't really co-exist very well, and I believe we're obligated to side with Troika. And the changes often had negative side effects anyway, such as rendering information like that contained in the diary moot by the time you might get to read it, or making the various chests an afterthought for when you might remember to come back for them at a higher level. Plus, some of the changes enumerated above were just plain silly - crayfish with locked chests, etc. Lastly, these are not really sweeping changes. They affect only one portion of the game.

Co8 6.0.2 will be an entirely new module once again (unlike the 6.0.1 patch), but it will of course contain all the fixes from 6.0.1. Not sure when it will be released ... should be fairly soon. As it will be a new module, it won't be compatable with saves from 6.0.0/6.0.1.

There will be other fixes and updates and whatnot too, not just the Moathouse stuff.

2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

When you say original P&P, do you mean the original D&D module that was the original version of the game? Because if so, that means a lot of changes, since this game is based off of version 3.5. There was no such thing as masterwork items. The game only had maybe 20% of the spells 3.5 has. I think to modernize the game, and allow more equality among the classes, so thing may need to be added, either in the towns (as the mod has done by adding masterwork weapons and armor) or out in the dungeons. I find my wizards have to take spells like Bear's Endurance and Fox's Cunning so the can use them to craft late in the game, but I have never cast those spells or even memorized them. Burne never offers them, and you can only buy them late in the game in Verbobonc. So by finding them in a chest here or there would help out.

Any thoughts to adding an instrument to the traders' inventory?

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

One of the lines in the diary says he had a visit from the water temple. That is good info telling you there are other factions active. Too early for any kind of story_state mod?

4. Gaear

@GG -

Yes, I mean the original module. Not really sure where you're going with the 'changes' angle ... we're not really changing anything, just removing Co8 stuff that went further afield from the module rather than nearer to it. The fidelity I'm speaking of is not really to do with 3.5 vs. first ed. or anything like that, moreso "was this chest trapped in the original module?" type questions.

Troika already handled the first ed. to 3.5 conversion.

Also again bear in mind the limited scope of this. It's not some new campaign designed to transform ToEE into something new and exciting; just a few tweaks to restore what was once a more accurate recreation of the old module. It's mainly removing stuff that we did (needlessly, imo) to make it less accurate.

5. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

Eliminating the chests might make it a real pain to collect all the treasure if it's scattered on the ground like that. I know it makes more sense that way, since spiders, crayfish and ghouls don't tend to keep loot in chests, but the mechanics of the game are a problem.

6. General Ghoul

But why must we believe the creatures in the room are the owners of the chests? Lareth says in his diary that he has been adding undead to the defenses of the moathouse, maybe he put healing potions in the ghoul chest as a safe place for him to escape to in case of an attack on the moathouse. Someone could have charmed the spider and crayfish to guard the areas, or they moved in long after the original moathouse fell into disrepair and the new tenants avoided them or were unable to get past the traps or locks.

@Gaear, my point is Troika made some substantial leaps while converting TOEE from V1 to V3.5. Co8 also made some leaps by adding (needed) content. Why take out some of the content in the moathouse and not take out the same new content in Homlett, i.e. Smythe selling masterwork weapons. I say leave it all in, I can see reducing the DC's of the chests and traps, but there are other ways to get into the chests if the party doesn't have a rogue, like a druid casing warp wood.

7. acemcjack

acemcjack Member

Agreed. I'm just saying that if you assume the loot came into their possession somehow and they weren't put there intentionally to guard it, then chests probably don't make much sense, but that it would make collecting the loot a pain. I don't think it's a good idea either way.

8. MB

MB Member

@ Gaear

I support your aforementioned changes in an effort to stay as close to the original module as possible. IMO it makes more sense that the treasure be scattered vice in a chest and don't have a problem having to individually pick up the loot.

Since I'm posting here anyway I have two questions to ask - 1) has Lareth's staff of striking been changed to a staff or is it still a club? 2 is it possible to implement a halfling's +1 to slings and thrown weapons?

Appreciate all the work co8 has done to make this a great diversion from RL.

MB

9. Gaear

I've positioned it so it's easy to see, and in-game testing has shown it to be quite obvious. Plus you can always TAB for help.

Well, the module doesn't tell it that way (in fact it does say that Lareth's troops know about the crayfish and avoid it), and Troika didn't do it that way originally either, so ...

Plus, the locked and trapped chests as modded by Livonya are prohibitive as described above. They pretty clearly weren't meant to be that way, by either Troika or Gygax.

As the creator of ToEE the CRPG, Troika was entitled to do what they thought necessary, but they themselves stated that fidelity was a priority for them, and they carried that out quite admirably as near as I can tell. I don't think Co8 should take that same liberty as applies to existing content. When we do that, we're transforming the game, not tweaking it. Our ethos since day one has supposedly been to remain faithful to Troika, which had itself remained faithful to the PnP module.

You're right about some other areas of modding already treading on thin ice like Bro Smyth's masterwork stuff, but that kind of thing has become so entrenched in the known and accepted ToEE gaming experience that to try to remove it now would be folly. (e.g. if we yanked the Traders' Revenge and Moathouse Ambush at this late date, players would likely storm the Co8 headquarters and lynch us. ;)) I don't think we've really done too much along those lines though, and the more questionable stuff has already been weeded out during the 5.6 - 5.9 BETA process. And I don't think restoring the Moathouse chest statuses really qualifies as a major shift.

If anybody has other examples of vanilla aspects that we've possibly dabbled too heavily in (or at all, for discussion's sake), please list them so they can be evaluated.

Thanks. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Um ... I think it's a club yet? Not really sure.

I suspect that's a hardcoded game mechanic.

10. MB

MB Member

Gear

Thanks for the rapid response.

I seem to remember at some point a discussion about the possibility of adding wpn focus sling to halfling's as a racial bonus. Is that something that could be done or is that considered out of bounds?

WRT the staff of striking as a club issue - could the club version be removed and a "new" weapon (actual staff) be inserted similar to previous weapon mods?

Just curious and don't really have an idea as to how much work it would take or if others really care or not but thought I'd ask.

11. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

I think this revision is very cool, i have no problem with the Moathouse being made more like the module - which unfortunately this game is the only version of it that i have played. Those chests always were rather difficult to deal with, even for Furnok who is a Level 4 rogue when you can recruit him. Moathouse is a challenge for low level adventurers looking to make a name for themselves.... the chests seemed to be set for a thief of very high stats and abilities at a level higher than the expected LVL for those tackling the Moathouse. while i LIKE the idea of having chests, and don't mind them being trapped, locked, OR filled with lootable goodies - every single one was too hard to crack until one was around level 5 or so.

even the thieves lockpicks in the courtyard were trapped?! i always thought that was weird, i am sure that was not Vanilla ...

However, if some feel that they will miss the chests, (and who wouldn't??? in a party of adventurers seeking treasures and , well ADVENTURE) MAYBE if Gaear thinks it OK they could be relocated to a more logical location - i.e. the lair of the Ogre Lubash (he carries a decent amount on his corpse, that could be placed in a lightly trapped box instead) or the lairs of either or both of the Bugbear or Gnoll raiding parties - the results of their raiding? also locked and trapped.

just an idea. Or, as i said, i'll welcome this change since the chests were always beyond the ability of my rogue this early in the game anyway... usually they were looted during Moathouse Respawn, when they were much less interesting, or needed...

I ALWAYS thought that nasty cavernous mess behind the ghouls should have had a purpose ... glad to hear it will have one now, for those that explore it!

Maybe the scrolls in the Crayfish lair could be on a dessicated lootable mage corpse, for ease of use in picking them up. Someone who wandered down the wrong corridor long ago ... much like the unhappy fellow from Emridy Meadows who dropped his hat, sword, boots, armor etc. LOL

The only thing i'll miss is the diary being trapped. that kind of made sense to me. Lareth is a power-tripping & vain villain with dreams of grandeur (for himself) and thoughts of world domination - i'd think he would want to keep those ideas under lock and key for him to chuckle to himself about in the darkness. He's like a Bond villain - he overestimates his importance, and underestimates his opponents ... sounds like a recipe for mild paranoia and self-important gloating to me. i didn't mind carrying around the diary until my thief was skilled enough to open it. just my thoughts!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  12. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

I for one don't mind the changes, and trying to make it as close to the PnP as possible. As the previous poster stated some of those locks and traps were fairly difficult for a 1-2 lvl party.
    The argument on that some things have already been changed such as the spells and masterwork items I find a moot point as that is more of an conversion of 1st edition rules to things that are in 3.5 rules but not in first addition. Then an actual changing of the module itself. Materwork items are a big part of 3.5 and did not exist in 1st edition so it would make sense on changing the module from one set of rules/game play to the other that that would be added/implemented for the shops to have masterwork items. Same thing could be said for money found in areas if example if IRC in 1st edition 20sp=1gp where in 3.5 10sp=1 gp so if it would make since such as a chest with 200sp in the original 1st ed being changed to hold 100sp instead if you are sticking to a gold equivelent standard as your base between editions.
    Since we are on the moathouse some other thoughts to make it compley as closely with the original PnP 1st edition module while using some of the rules/skills/items of 3.5 edition would be the Giant Snakes area on the upper floor of the moathouse the snakes area in the CRPG consist of areas 9,10 and 12 in the PnP module. Area nine of the module has a very fine broadsword wedged behind a splintered wall case. This could easily become a masterwork longsword laying near the wall in the NE corner. The giant snake in the litter of its nesting place is a jeweled dagger worth 850 gp. This could be changed to a masterwork dagger either on the "body" of the snake or also in the area to be discovered. A master work longsword and dagger if bought at brother smyths is going to run you in the neighboorhood of 800 or so GP. So this keeps the treasure close to the monetary vaule as per the original module, and gives a close version of the actual items in the module as well; while taking into account the masterwork items of 3.5 that did not exist in 1st edition.
    A previous poster hinted at that one nice thing about the chest is you do not have to pixel hunt for items. I agree it would be nice that if items that are buried in rubble etc.. would be found by using your search skill as 3.5 intended. Example: in the original module the main staircase going down from the upper moathouse to the dungeon level. has a gold ring worth 40gp on the 5th stair as per the 1st edition PnP module; "on the 5th stair down is a gold ring worth 40gp. However if the party does not search, the ring will probably pass unnoticed. Roll 1d20 per person using the stairs; the ring is discovered on a roll of 1". Since skills didn't exist in 1st edition it just gave a 5% chance per person have them happing to notice it, and most likely if the players in a PnP game said they were actively searching the stairs the DM would either have them find it or up it to a roll of 1-10 (50% chance) on the d20 or some similar ruling. Having a search skill in 3.5 the ring could have a DC of lets say 23 so there is a chance a party member could find it passively such as sometimes you find a secret door when you pass by. Or if they do an active search from the radial menu its like taking 20 and most likely they will find the ring and it would light up blue like a secret door (no pixel hunting needed you either put the ranks in the skill or not, you don't find it you can't pick up what you don't know is there just like even if you know from previous playthroughs there is a secret door somewhere but your current party didn't find it they cannot go through it.
    Well sorry for the post much longer then I intended, just my 2 cents I want to keep it a close to the original as possible, but I also want all the skills/feats/spells/items from 3.5 to be avaliable and have purpose to.

Shapecharge

13. General Ghoul

I can confirm Lareth's weapon is a club, specs call it a club, and it responses to weapon focus:club. You can even throw it like a club.

14. Gaear

I don't know the answers ... I'd have to look into both.

Yeah, that was Livonya as well. I had a look at the tools but couldn't figure out how she even trapped them. In the spirit of semi-compromise, as it were, I figured we could leave that sort of thing alone (along with Lareth not wanting you to read his diary). I could see the courtyard bandits arming a prize like that to foil novice adventurers. It seems a specific and effective target, one that people might not be so suspicious of as a treasure chest.

Thing is, the fundamental function of the diary is to provide exposition for what's going on in the game, not to provide a new mini-quest. When you can't open it (and this is common for many inexperienced or casual gamers), you don't get that exposition in a timely manner, hence you don't know as well what's going on, hence you form an opinion that ToEE "has no story," "is lame," "is just a combat simulator," etc.

Romag would also be an egomanic (I think all four elemntal priests are supposed to be in their own fashion - that partly how they've risen to power), but his diary is not locked and trapped. Nor are the chests throughout the Temple locked and trapped with excessively high DCs. (Did the Temple hire expert locksmiths and trap technicians and send them to the Moathouse first in anticipation of random persons scavenging their loot, and then forget about it when it came time to do the Temple chests? :p )

As to the various suggestions, bear in mind that we really don't want to add new stuff to vanilla when we're trying to remain faithful to it. We also don't need even more treasure in the game (too much already), or more money in the economy (way too much already). The 'do it like Troika and the PnP module did' approach is always the best and simplest way to go.

15. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

Sorry if I was misunderstood, I was not trying to make the suggestion to throw more treasure in the game, I do agree that there is plenty out there.
    I was trying to show how you could keep to the treasure that is in the original PnP module such as the "fine long sword", the 850gp Bejewelled dagger and the 40 gp ring (which are all in the original module), and convert them into 3.5 usefull tresure by changing the longsword and dagger into masterwork items. As well as making the skills of 3.5 come into play as making the 40gp ring something you get with use of your search skill and putting ranks into it then just being lucky enough to find it on a pixel hunt. Also while keeping within the spirit of the original module since that is also there to be possibly found, just using the search skill as intended under 3.5 rules which is to sucess searching through rubble and piles of dungeon refuse as well as for secret doors and finding traps.
    I hate to say it but there is more tresure left out of the CRPG compared to the original module then added in (not counting new content).
    Don't get me wrong I have never been a fan of massive amounts of tresure I do like tresure to feel special when I get it so I am happy where things are at, just was trying to suggest how some of the other stuff from the original PnP could be added or reworked in the flavor of both the original module and 3.5.
    Also of note though is the fact that at 1-3rd level I do feel like I got a great find when I get a masterwork item. Its not magical and not over powered, but I either at that time can't afford one or can't kill the hill giant to get brother smyth to make them, so its a cool low level treasure. even if I can't use it I can sell it but I will only get 35-50% of its actual value so still not to over the top money wise. Getting the masterwork shortsword from welkwood bog is one of my highlight tresures until Lareth.
    I do think that tresures such as the raise dead scroll in the lizard room, and all the items in the upper shelf of the temple of cuthbert in homlett are way to valuable for lower lvl parties (of course keeping one Heal scroll or potion for Bing is needed).
    So in summery sorry if I was misunderstood was not trying to just add tresure for tresures sake I was actually attempting to give suggestions to keep it like the original module by the three tresure examples above.

Our Host!