'Cavern' Story Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GuardianAngel82, Feb 21, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Scryler has started a new story. I wonder if we should have a separate thread for the story, or for the comments, so people trying to read the story do not have to hunt for the next installment. ;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  2. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Re: Cavern of Black Night and Unholy Rage

???

Probably up to the moderators, don't you think, hmmm?

3. GuardianAngel82

The thread you are presently writing the story in was my suggestion, too. I don't decide, I just call attention to something. You would actually have a far-greater influence on it than me.

These things are usually well-handled with pretty good insight, from my experience. ;)

4. Scryler

I am willing.

I have a general idea of where I want the story to go, but I will need input along the way, from those more experienced than I. I will ask for input when I want it and I will do the writing, but I also want to know when I stray from tradition.

There will be 8 travelers at first, later only 7. One will die prior to the battle, during the journey, but I may change that, have that character die during the battle, not sure yet. To begin, I need a party. This will be a NG party.

I start with 2 sorcerers and 1 bard. What other party members should be included? 3 must have magic, to meld and bind the spell; 1 of those I have already chosen. The bard will not be among those 3, so 2 other magic wielders are needed. There will be 4 defenders, and I include the bard among them, so that leaves 3 defenders. Who might they be? What class? What race? I'll decide the gender, I think. Present me with one character, perhaps your favorite. If there are more than one, I'll ask which one to choose.

The name of the figure on the floor of the grotto will consist of the following letters: M, I, J, R, E, P, S, W, H, Y, A. Provide me with names made out of those letters, please.

I start writing again, late tonight. So....comments, input, anyone? Everyone? Jump in. I can't do this alone, the exorcist has ordered me to write; this is how I have chosen to follow direction, and I need your support.

5. GuardianAngel82

Once I used to write. When I would first write something, I would fiddle with it until it was presentable, and then go on. Later, I would come back and do major changes, like move something to a different place in the story. And this was in the days before word processors. Have you got a plan for this sort of thimg?

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay, so we now have this thread, retitled 'Cavern Story Discussion Thread,' wherein all the discussion can take place, and the real story thread, stickied and retitled from 'Story,' where just the story itself will appear. Does that sound acceptable?

Too bad Old Book's not around; he'd love this. :)

7. Scryler

I do not intend to share the writing, it will be mine alone. I do intend to share the plot, the fights that sort of thing.

I write it on my computer, then post and fiddle until I like it, then copy back to my computer.

I may not have understood your question/comment, so feel free to clarify; I know you will, anyway.:evilgrin:

Thanks to the moderators for letting me do this. :yes:

8. GuardianAngel82

I thought of stickying the story thread, didn't mention it, and Gaear has done it. Like I said, around here, mention it, and it will be: Well Done, Sir. :thumbsup:

Now the bad news: If Scryler gets happy (hopefully soon), we will be left bereft and forlorn. Oh, well. :shrug:

9. Scryler

:yes::clap::clap:

10. Scryler

No help?

C'mon. This is a tough job to do alone.

11. GuardianAngel82

Names using each letter once: Pijer Shawym or Rejip Mywahs. Can you give a little more structure on this? ;)

I think the party should be unbalanced and strange. Maybe with an old style elf that can cast while wearing armor. Or maybe a sword saint.

12. Scryler

Sure. Use whatever letters, particularly vowels, more than once, if you need to.

You can add a D, a N, a U. No Bs, Cs or Fs, or Gs. No Ks, Qs, Vs, Xs or Zs .

It can be a name and/or a title. The figure is female, mostly human, has a mouth hinged like a snake, and is beautiful, but in an unholy, seductive way, the aspect terrifying.

Does that help?

What is a sword saint? How is an old style elf different beside the armor thing?

I am thinking a mostly human party, but I am open to other races: not, however for the sorceress or her student.

I haven't revisited what I wrote, yet. Couldn't get much distance on it last night. Is it good? Or clunky?

Giving away something that I was going to keep for a surprise, the narrator is the raven. Splice shares his mistress's mind, thus can describe the thinking. I am hoping to alternate points of view, but have never done that before, so we'll see how that goes. I hadn't intended dialogue, but I might have to. Sounds like a mess, doesn't it?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  13. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

So far so good! It's definitely got my interest peaked.

No clunkiness. Easy to follow. I dunno, revisit you're writings later on, after you've you added more to the story. Once you've gotten a few chapters or whatever done, you may be in a better position to look at it objectively and make changes then.

But what do I know, it's been a good decade and a relationship or 2 since I wrote.

LOL! I can't even look at the crap I wrote back then! Although, to be fair, there were one or two nuggets of good material buried in that melodramatic, self-pitying, drivel.

In regards to creating a name, as you requested, I would respectfully ask your permission if I could enlist the help of J with this. She's not part of this group but she's damn good with word type problems and the like.

14. Scryler

Sure.

Thanks for the input. :hug:

15. GuardianAngel82

I like the raven / mistress PoV idea, especially if if their thinking is alien to each other, even discordant. :thumbsup:

The old-style elf would be from AD&D 2nd Edition, which I am not that familiar with. They also don't have character classes, like fighter, etc. I think you should avoid obeying the rules on character class compliance, anyway.

A Sword Saint is a fighter sub-class that eschews armor, relying instead on their skill with weapons and agility for protection. I visualize a mundane character witha hidden past.

I'm not much for name generation. I hardly give it a thought. How about Wrasaxes?

Our Host!