Campfire random encounter bug

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BenWH, Jul 23, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Probably someone has already picked this one up, but just in case...

When you get the random encounter with the campfire, you can pick off the enemies one by one at range without any reaction from them. Pick single attack from the menu on an archer, combat launches and each party member can shoot, but the enemy, though in the initiative menu, never reacts. To do it you just start at the edge of sight.

Since it is an exploit, thought it would be useful to know for 8.0 NC.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That works for a few seconds in the real world, too. Having them all activate after the first round would simulate this well. But I wonder if the engine can handle the long range.

3. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Yes, it happens in several places. The ogres in the long corridor on level 2 also spring to mind as they have the same problem.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I thought this was the result of a good survival skill which gives you the jump on the enemies.

Kind of like a surprise attack round and it makes sense to me for a group of adventurers to be able to spot a hulking figure of an ogre before it spots them, (ogres aren't real smart or attentive).

5. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Well it might be nice if that were the case, but they never react! So it's a bit of a problem!

6. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

The higher your survival skill, the further away you will start the random encounter with your enemy. If your survival skill is low, they can start right inside your group. Think about them not reacting for a second though. You are sniping them with an arrow, which is silent, and their intelligence is low. In vietnam, a group of snipers could take out a whole platoon, just because you could not find out where the shots where coming from, and humans are a hell of alot more intelligent than bugbears.

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Ben, have you tried closing to melee after taking a few shots from afar?

I tend to have someone in my group with a good survival skill, but I do get a reaction once I close the gap enough for them to see me.

Welcome Back HeJason!

Our Host!