Campaign Setting?

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Firesprung, Jan 10, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Firesprung

Firesprung Member

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I believe that someone's understanding (the Wiki entry) of that issue is mistaken. It was always in Greyhawk. I think a later release may have put it in the other area, and when it was finally brought back to Greyhawk, the inconsistencies developed. We had a huge discusion on this topic some time ago when ShiningTed was first beginning to work on his KotB mod. The maps in the module agree with the Tors & the Hool Marshes so precisely that it could not have been placed anywhere else. Add to that the fact that Mystara didn't exist when the module was first written, and you see where I'm coming from. But to answer your question, it is indeed Greyhawk.

3. Firesprung

Firesprung Member

yes, there can be no mistaking the "Hool Marshes!" I've got my WoG Campaign Boxed Set with the map detailing that region as further proof (in storage somewhere!)

Good stuff - thanks!

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I like that Wikipedia thing: "The pit trap at the entrance of the Kobold lair was likely responsible for more PC deaths than any other encounter in the module considering that almost all 1st level characters started by entering that section of the complex".

Sounds like a challenge to me!

5. Lord_Spike

That's a bunch of drivel added by the guy making the entry. There's alot more deadly shit in there than that little bit of dungeon kitsch. The net, for example...ouch! The Altar stuff, too. Gygax never made a temple he didn't ward. Betrayal was what nearly did us in back in 1980.

6. Macer Deathstriker

Macer Deathstriker Member

I think the wiki is right the B series were all made for the basic D&D which was printed starting in 77 i think, and not the advanced version which also was out at that time this should be the 2nd edition. It came in the basic boxed set for lvl ranges 1-4 i think then the next boxed was 5 to 9 and so on for 3 to 5 sets of boxes all with 1 adventure for starters in them. The basic campaign was what later became the grand Dutchy of karamekios which was in mystra when they made it into another game realm for AD&D. I remember this cause me and my brother started with basic not realizing the difference in the two the we up graded to advanced shortly afterwords. Just for records i think KotB was printed in 79.

Macer

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah it came in my Basic box set - one of the main reasons I suggested this moduel, cause I figured everyone had it (until someone pointed out B1 came with a lot of other box sets ;) ).

Chain, leather, plate.... who needs more than that?

8. Lord_Spike

It began about then, and like had 5 Editions, and perhaps 11 printings, I think. One of them had script stating that with a few minor changes, it was suitable for use with AD&D. This was removed, but my belief is that this is when the idea for the location within Greyhawk was established; I also believe that this was on the very first run. Mystara evolved as an attempt to have someplace else besides Greyhawk as a campaign setting for the boxed sets you describe, and came along as more content was developed. It was when Return to the Keep on the Borderlands was developed that the inconsistencies became clear between the original & its progeny. These weren't cleaned up when they tried to wedge it back into Greyhawk from the place it had spent the majority of its existence. So, this is how I read what they did over the course of its history:

It was originally made for use with both products (boxed set owners & book players);
    then, they made a version that had no language differentiating the two games after the first ones sold out;
    Next, made a sequel for AD&D after several other printings & much evolution in the D&D game.

They wanted to sell it to both sets of people enjoying their games; those who played D&D, and those who played AD&D. I think the 3.5 system is their way of trying to reconcile the two, maybe even appeal to fans of older editions. I always used KotB in AD&D, and never bought a boxed set until the one which is out now. My books are ancient, and the boxed set is new. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see many old modules modernized for the new rules.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2007
Our Host!