Bug or 'Feature'?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ravenot, Nov 10, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ravenot

Ravenot Member

Ok so i just completed a run through the game and i have a big list of things that i'm not sure are still vanilla bugs, Co8 patch bugs, or just "working as intended". I'm running Atari patch 1+2, and the latest Co8 beta patch. If anyone can confirm that these are NOT vanilla bugs, i'd like to pass them on to the Co8 patch team :)

Neclaces of Adaptation don't appear to work. My fighter wore one since quite early on. Cloudkill gets him, Hezrou stench affects him.

Rings of Freedom of Movement (including regular and Lareth's) don't seem to do jack. They don't work in Entanglement, they don't work in Web.

The Quest, "Eye of the Tiger" is bugged. Whenever i got into the fistfight, after throwing the first punch (whether it hit or missed) a dialog would pop up. Randomly it would be either A) Tolub accusing me of cheating, or B) Tolub gloating over his victory over me. Either of these outcomes always happened on the first round regardless of which character i used, whether my first punch hit him or not, and even if my character was stripped of all equipment.

Remove Fear does not work. Casting Remove Fear would change the "feared" tags on my characters to read "0/10". When the round reset, the 0 would flip back to however remaining rounds were left on the fear effect from before.

The Balor died mysteriously while at full health. He was surrounded by summons at the time and held in place by a Hold Monster spell. No other spell effect was on him.

During the final encounter with Zuggotmoy, I had done around 470 damage to her. When the round reset to the beginning of the next round, she was at full health. First one boss dies mysteriously, the next one is healed mysteriously???

Highlight below for possible spoiler (?)
    The final end credits were unchanged regardless if I destroy the skull and kill Zuggotmoy, or destroy the skull and avoid the fight with her. It seems to make the final fight with Zuggotmoy pointless if you can bypass it and get the exact same ending?

2. VentilatorOfDoom

VentilatorOfDoom Member

some of these bugs sound weird.

The freedom of movement rings: are you sure the character couldn't move? In my game it looks AS IF the char is webbed etc and the game tells you *Webbed* etc but when you try to move around you can move just fine.
    i think remove fear only gives a saving throw bonus vs fear, maybe your char failed the save again at the next round? Use protection from evil instead. Speaking of Pro Evil, I noticed that the lvl3 circle of pro evil spell doesn't really work, you still can be hit by fear or confusion as opposed to the lvl1 spell which protects from it. And I'm talking about the guy who has the circle centered on him, someone else just standing in the circle doesn't seem to be protected at all. Another annoying thing is that pro evil also prevents spells like Aid, Heroism etc to take effect.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Are you fighting him with a monk or someone with Improved Unarmed Combat? Any attack that causes "real" damage is apparently "cheating". I don't know what's causing the other problem.

4. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Did you get a dialogue with her? Maybe it failed to trigger. There should be a dialogue where she proposes to give in, but if you refuse, she heals back to full and the fight is back on.

As for the ending, I thought you're supposed to get the "exile" ending if you don't fight, as opposed to "defeated and banished" ending.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The Eye of the Tiger bug is known and will be fixed in the next release.

6. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

Umm, perhaps I should chip in here. I had a Fighter with Improved Unarmed Fighting (advantage: no AoOs) and he had no trouble completing this quest.

7. maalri

maalri Immortal

I do the Eye of the Tiger with a Monk, and there are no bugs. I usually, if not always win, Monk only has to be about level 5, and Combat Reflexes helps.

I cannot beat him at all with a regular fighter, they hit once, he hits twice, and he does have a lot of hit points... But I've only tried it once with a regular fighter- level 5 (2nd level rogue)- 50 HPs...

UPDATE for MY part of this thread:

I did beat Tolub with a regular fighter (6th level) and there were no bugs...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  8. Ravenot

Ravenot Member

My main fighter has worn Lareth's ring of Freedom of Movement since I defeated Lareth. My second fighter wears another one I found. They both get stuck in Entangle spells, especially during the last battle with Zuggotmoy.

The Remove Fear spell is supposed to remove fear, not give a bonus (if that's what it's doing). I reloaded several different encounters that involved fear to see why Remove Fear wasn't working. The only thing i could determine is that the spell would set the Fear's duration to 0, which would revert back to the original duration at the top of the next round.

My party consists of a Dual-wielding Fighter, Sword and shield Fighter, Cleric, Rogue/Ranger, and a Wizard. None have any levels of monk, and none have the improved unarmed fighting feat. During every try with Tolub i was doing subdual damage. On some reloads he would say I was cheating, on the same savegame reload with exact same circumstances he would declare himself winner after the first round.

No, Zuggotmoy did not initiate a dialog with me at any time during the fight.

Both methods of defeating Zuggotmoy gave me the "Banished for 66 years" endings.

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I used to win with a monk. So maybe it's just broken.

10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Huh. The rings of freedom of movement used to work. The Necklace of Adaptation and Remove Fear have always been bugged, though.

The not getting different endings is wierd, though. That used to work.

11. Gaear

I just tested a ring of freedom of movement and it worked fine - went to the Deklo grove, got webbed by the spiders, failed a subsequent break-free attempt so I was sure I shouldn't be able to move, and happily danced all over the map anyway. The other webbed party members who also failed their saving throws were stuck as usual.

Hi Kalshane. :)

12. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

That's good. Sounds like a goofed install then.

How goes it?

13. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I'm not sure if this was changed, but in the fight, while you can't use magic, you can still use potions ;)

14. Gaear

Good. Got any thoughts on the proposed 18% XP reduction? It's detailed in the balance thread above.

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

These spells were added to the game by the Co8, The Necklace of adaption's abilities are hardcoded in the .DLL any fix would have to be scripted in.

Our Host!