Bizarro Problem: GRAVE key doesn't work

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by onewolf, Nov 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Tags:
  1. onewolf

onewolf Member

Hello!

I have an interesting issue that has been puzzling me.

The GRAVE key, the one used in conjunction with shift to open the console, and also to select the entire party, does not work in ToEE. This is very odd, because it works perfectly fine outside the game, and because I've taken several measures to remap the key in various ways.

For example:

I have assigned other keys to the Scan Code of the GRAVE key, the ASCII code of the GRAVE key, and the Virtual Key of the GRAVE key, all to no avail. I simply cannot get the GRAVE key to register in any way, in ToEE.

Outside of the game, all of the above measures work perfectly fine producing a GRAVE mark.

For the love of God, does anyone have any idea why/how this would/is happening?

Thanks!

Oh I should mention that the only reason I'm trying so hard to get the damn key working is so I can access the console to increase my out-of-combat movespeed. If there's another way to do this without using the console, then I can try and live with the mystery.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The next patch will feature a config.ini that will allow you to set the movement speed.

BTW, are you using a laptop with an external keyboard perchance? I've had the same problem once, had to use the laptop's built in keyboard to open the console. Also, changing keyboards did solve the problem.

3. onewolf

onewolf Member

Heya Sitra!

No, but I am using a laptop. I did occur to me to try connecting another keyboard (since I only need console access once), but I haven't gotten a chance to yet.

In other, equally bizarre news, I discovered that many users have difficulty accessing various grave-bound consoles when using laptops across a variety of games (i.e. Skyrim). There were some success stories that involved disabling various IR components, but none of them have worked for me so far.

At this point I've become almost more interested in figuring out why this problem comes about than I am about fixing the problem itself :D

4. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Hello onewolf
    May I ask which country you are in please?

Actually I believe you use shift and the key to the left of "1 or !" to open the console whereever you are

I believe the latter key is called tilde "~" in the US but I am in the UK and the grave key just happens to be in that position.

5. onewolf

onewolf Member

Hey Pygmy!

I'm using a standard US layout for my keyboard.

I also mapped ~ to other keys (since SHIFT-GRAVE is tilde) to no avail.

Still haven't tried another keyboard, but I will shortly.

6. Gubbie

Gubbie Member

I'm having problems opening the console.

The "passage to verbobonc" didn't appear, so I need to fix this in the console.
    I cannot open the console though, I'm using a laptop and tried to connect another keyboard to see if it helped if I changed keyboard, but alas this did nothing.

I'm using version 8.0.0, are there anyone who have any idea how I might get the console to work?(or some other way to fix the passage to verbobonc)

7. Gubbie

Gubbie Member

bump.

aren't there anyone who can help?

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

We recommend using the 8.0.1. patch, which fixes the Verbobonc issue. It's listed and linked in the banners that appear at the top of every page.

Console operation can be very hit and miss apparently. If you can't open it on your system by pressing the SHIFT ~ key combo, there's really nothing we can do for you to fix it.

Did you follow all the installation instructions exactly and install Atari patch 2 (if necessary)? Console operation requires Atari patch 2 to be installed.

9. Gubbie

Gubbie Member

The installation was done correctly. In the last version of the CO8 mod I had no problems opening the console. I've installed the 8.0.1 patch, but I see no way how that would help me in that particular game. Only that it would help in future games. I did try to see if changing scene would help, but alas going from Hommlet to The Moathouse did not make the "passage to verbobonc" appear. I fear I will not be able to get further in said game and must start from scratch.

10. g0ld0

g0ld0 Member

It seems I do have the same problem here with the GRAVE key to open up the console. I do have a French-canadian keyboard layout (bummer) and I've done about anything I could to have the "Shift ~" done properly. Back in may, I used a laptop to do a complete run and had no problem at all accessing it. Now I am doing it from my PC at home. In may, I had the original disks to install it and patched it properly but I lost one of the disks so I had to rely on GoG to get a full installation (so I did not patch it).

Might it be the solution? The GoG file has a problem in it?

11. g0ld0

g0ld0 Member

I've just started a full reinstall and just with the clean GoG file, the Shift ~ does not work to get to the console. Any other way I could slip a PATCH2 so I could get access to it?

Thanks for the effort.

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

GoG is already patch 2-installed, so that's not the issue. Some keyboards just don't play nice, sorry.

13. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

14. g0ld0

g0ld0 Member

I have already tried canadian multilingual and US before posting and it did not help.

Thanks anyway.

I am now in the middle of reinstalling everything from scratch and running into a lot of problems, TFE-X does not allow me to run 8.0.0 (or vanilla for that matter) even if all is installed outside of "program files". It did twice a clean install and can't seem to figure out why...

15. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

What might be your OS? If it's win7 then you'd better install the game under 'Program Files (x86) folder.' The co8 modpack should be installed in the root directory of the game, so TFE Front-End can read the necessary files for the actual installation.

Edit: What's the error message in TFE-X (pop-up) when you are trying to 'run' the co8 mod and vanilla?

Our Host!