*BIG* Easy Money

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by gandalf333, May 9, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. gandalf333

gandalf333 Member

There is an easy way to make BIG money fast in TOEE.

You'll need a thief or a rouge with good slight of hand skills for this to work properly.

From the world map menu, select Hommett East.

Go inside the tower, have your rouge/thief stand next to Burne.

Press F12 (Quick Save)

1. Now, using the radial menu on your rouge/thief, select slight of hand, then click on Burne.

2. It may take you a few trys, but eventually your picking of his pocket will be successful. If at any time your rouge/thief is discovered (battle starts), hit F9 (Quick Load) and try again.

3. The first time you're successful, you'll get 14 blue gems, worth over $5,700 gold pieces.

4. Now just click on Burne normally with your rouge/thief and get into the dialoge for bartering. Sell your recently acquired gems back to Burne. They return to his inventory. Once you have a successful sale, hit F12 again and repeat steps 1-4.

You can do this as many times as you want. I've got over 100k in just a short session.

2. mussetassen

mussetassen Member

I will counter (we meet again!) with a tip how to make small money through furious clicking:

Select a character with the scribe scroll feat (typically a mage) and create a scroll of a cantrip (level 0 spell) of your choice. This costs 6 gold and 0 experience. Do this as long as your money lasts. Then go to a church or a mage shop and sell the scrolls for 7 gp and 6 sp each.

3. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I noticed that one... except i sold it for MORE...
    You want easy money? max out the appraise skill for one of your characters, give him headband of int +6... (+3 to appraise)

All transaction prices are determined by appraise, you can litteraly double the amount of money you sell stuff for, and the best part is that it automatically uses the best apraise of any of your character, so you dont need to get it multiple times...
    And ofcourse after level 10 you can just craft stuff and sell it... always remember that when you sell stuff there are two modes, each merchant has desired and undesired items, undesired items will be bought for half the price they would pay otherwise.. so if your appraise lets you sell for 80% of cost, undesired items will sell for 40%, if it lets you sell for 90% then undesired sell for 45%... just find out who wants what, on high paying items it could mean alot.
    If you sell him for 7 and it only costs you 6, then your appraise is really low, because scrolls are desired commodity for him, you would sell them for 3g and 5s to someone else, thats not good... get it up so you could sell them for much more much...

also selling an item for 10000 gold more just cause of a skill is really satisfying

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  4. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

s
    p
    o
    i
    l
    e
    r

There is a lot of money to be made, right after you get the skull. just make sure you have a scroll of teleport on you, burne has one to sell, then head down through the throne, and through the teleport (there are almost no creatures on this level so looking around for it should be safe.) that drops you right near the temples head priest and his small arm. Between you and hedrack there will be a group of fungi. they are pretty easy to destroy, and reward you with four chests each filled with 1000 p ( i think), and a few other items. then just teleport out. You should even be able to learn teleport and then scribe it to a scroll, regardless of level.

5. psiekier

psiekier Member

I discovered today that you can actually combine this second trick with the first!

I had my wizard scribing up big batches of "acid splash" scrolls - about 300 at a time - and then I'd take them over to Burne and sell them for a few thousand quid profit.

On a whim, I decided to pick Burne's pockets, so I cast "cat's grace" on my rogue and let her do her job.

Not only did I get Burne's blue sapphires and black pearls, I also picked up over 1,200 "acid splash" scrolls. I don't think I have to explain which of these was worth the most money when I sold it back to him.

6. Goongyae

Goongyae Member

>I had my wizard scribing up big batches of "acid splash" scrolls - >about 300 at a time - and then I'd take them over to Burne and >sell them for a few thousand quid profit.

LOL, in the PnP game it would take 300 days to do this.
    Hommlet would be overrun with demonic forces by the time you scribed all those scrolls :)

BTW, to boost your Appraise up by +3 take a level of Wiz/Sorc and summon a Raven familiar. For another +3 take Skill Focus [Appraise].

To boost Sleight of Hand, take Skill Focus [Pickpocket] ("Pickpocket" is yet another bug.. sigh..) for +3 and Acrobatic for +2 more.

7. Goongyae

Goongyae Member

Another way to make a lot of money quickly is to exploit the Craft Magic Arms & Armor bug.

I had a Glaive +3 Keen Icy Burst Shocking Burst Holy and when I added Mighty Cleaving the enchantment cost was -100,000,000 copper (-10,000 platinum). So when I enchanted it, it gave me extra money. I didn't want to carry so much copper (I was afraid the game would crash), so I converted it to platinum. Converting it to platinum required selling + buying an expensive item (e.g. an enchanted armor with Brother Smyth).

This is always reproducible for me. Side note: If I try Anarchic instead of Holy it reportedly costs -200,000,000 copper but the game ALWAYS crashes whenever I try Anarchic.

8. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Very easy way to make a metric arseload of money.

Steal the rubies from Burne. Steal some MORE blue rubies from Rufus. Take them to Nira the jeweler. He buys them for even MORE. Then you just keep pickpocketing them off him and selling them back to him for a metric arseload of platinum. :)

9. Keolander

Keolander Member

Bah.....

spoiler....

Just kill Rannos and Gremag. Sell the Amulet of Proof against Detection to Burne. You'll get 17k for it.

10. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

With a high enough appraise, you get 1009 GP, 6 SP *per gem* from Nira for Blue Rubies.

1009*19 = 19,171 GP.

And you can do it. As many times as you like. Just keep pickpocketing it from Nira (this guy has a HORRIBLE Spot check,) and selling it right back to him.

This is another example of how badly Atari forced Troika to drop the ball. You could NEVER do this in Arcanum - one run, maybe two or three (and EVERYONE around you got a Perception check Vs. your pickpocketing, not just the person you're pickpocketing,) and then you've run the vendor out of money, and he'll say somthing comical like "Others would maybe give you 17,829. Will you take 0?"

11. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

WILL YOU TAKE 0... hah, that brings back memories...

I have encountered the same when crafting super items, but i find it cooler to just craft such items to all my chars and be done with it... when you get enough money to reach the point at which crafting gives you money, then you are so loaded money is worhless, the tricks here should be for people who actually need it.. IE low levels...

12. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

This is really amusing to me. Next run through, I am so going to rip off Burne of everything he has. I've never really played with pick pocketing before. I've never really needed the money. I wonder if Terjon or Jaroo have anything worth stealing?

Just thought of something else too. What if you open Jaroo's chest and teleport out of there? Will he be hostile to you if you go to see him again?

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Console up Excalibur several times and sell for several hundred thousand GP. Your set for the rest of the game moneywise.

14. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Console the money in directly.

15. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

No, I'm not a fan of using a console. I haven't used one yet. I want to see how the game reacts to different ways of play.

Our Host!