Assassin assassin, where for art thou assasin?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Nov 13, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Has anyone else experienced a missing assassin?

I have sold a certain group of items that belonged to a certain Deity's favorite pretty boy to a certain group of shady merchants and yet, no assassin.

My party has traipsed up and down the main roads and even a few back roads, but no one seems to care that we eliminated a certain priest with a flare for spiders.

Did he get a vacation in 7.5?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Negative.

3. Kilraven

Kilraven Chaotic Good Lich

In the new game I began this weekend, said assassin showed up a bit late (level wise).

He ran away when intimidated, will enjoy stomping him into a mud puddle if he shows up with his friends later.

4. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I also have not had the random encounter with the assassin yet (playing 7.5.0 NC). Normally I get the encounter the first time that I travel on the world map from Hommlet after selling all of The Master's items in Hommlet. Now that I've charmed Smigmal Redhand (who is currently in my party), I wonder whether I ever will now get the random encounter with the assassin (since the assassin is supposed to be sent by a charmed character in my party).

2 other unusual things have happened in my playthrough of 7.5.0 NC so far, but they may be attributable to my unusual behaviour in this particular runthrough of the modpack:

1. The final group of opponents directly outside the cave entrance at Hickory Branch weren't KOS (kill-on-sight). My party could run around within their LOS (line-of-sight) without them initiating combat with my party. But as soon as I initiated combat mode (by pressing the C key), the combat initiative queue formed normally at the top of the screen. The only thing that I had done differently in this playthrough is that I didn't leave Hickory Branch to rest up (like I normally do) (so the cave blockage wasn't present (for the first time for me)) (instead, I cleared Hickory Branch in 1 sweep (thanks to the awesome power of Burne)), I forgot to kill 1 of the leaders that talks with you if you approach him from the front, and I did have quite a few charmed opponents in my party (which seems to be interfering with opponents who are supposed to be hostile becoming KOS).

2. When I ran all of my party's characters into the secret room containing the Drelb (adjacent to the Air Temple), the Drelb was not KOS initially. But eventually, when I moved a single character past the Drelb, the Drelb became KOS and initiated combat. I should point out that I had an unusually high number of charmed opponents in my party when this happened (what can I say, Burne is just such a charming guy!).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. sirchet

Yup, I have a house in Nulb and have explored part of the Temple. I even cleared out HB, usually I run into the black robed individual on my way to Nulb, or at least in route to HB.

I have a feeling he's taking a union holiday. ;)

6. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

I had no problems running into the assassin. Showed up on my 3rd trip to Nulb from Hommlet. I haven't even ventured into the Temple yet, I was actively hunting him down before venturing in.

7. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Is this in anyway related to the quest given by Gremag titled "Wherefore art thou, Armario?"

8. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I only ever see the assassin during the nulb ambush. How do you trigger him otherwise? I keep the club, the ring, and the armor until better armor comes along. I always keep the club for my druid's back up blunt weapon and the ring for obvious reasons. I sell other stuff like his mace though.

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Try selling his boots. They're labelled as "Lareth's Plate Boots" for that very reason.

10. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I always sell them to brother smyth.

11. sirchet

I prefer to have my Pally sport them just to say "IN YOUR FACE EVIL DOERS".

12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

You need to sell them to
    the Traders
    to trigger the assassin.

13. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

ok this kinda of half belongs here and half on the nulb ambush thread going around.
    I read this thread last night and since had not sold Lareth's stuff yet, but had accepted the Where art thou Armino quest and had already killed Armino. Decided to see how this played out.

Quick background I am doing the LE Party story line but I only have one LE charecter the other 7 are all NE (still very evil party though)

So I sold the necklace (yes I know its usally better to sell the boots if you want the assassian and sell the necklace for more money to Nira, but the the plate boots accent Koborts Silver Banded mail on my Dwarf Fighter so well that he got after Korbort passed out in a drinking contest:)

Well as soon as I travel from Hommlet to Nulb after selling the necklace I encountered the assassian so apparently accepting the offer to kill Armino and actually doing it does not effect the traders sending the assassian after you.
    I got the diplomacy options with the assassian so discovered the hirers before the assassian attacked, I got the jump on him and charmed him before he could get a swing and decided to detour from Nulb to Emiridy Meadows to use him as a meat sheild against the Giant. Unfortunately my Charm capabilites was not strong enough to last the hours going to the meadows so upon arriving he was gone.

-So will I get him as a random encouter again? Or not see him until the Nulb Ambush?
    -Since the Traders sent out a Assassian is the "Where art thou Armino quest now defunct", and not able to be completed?

I think after I take said Giants head to the Smyth, I may have to pay the Traders a little visit and have a chat, I mean I killed Armino, I didn't tell the Goody Goodys in the Tower about thier Sabotaging Camp Follower and they send some dude in a Cape to kill me....maybe its time to redefine our relationship.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Those are the perks of being evil - you can count on the honor of no one. ;)

I'm sure this whole business is as unrefined as the rest of ToEE, so ...

No, that's a one and done thing.

He should probably show up for that, yes, but if he talked he would act like he never met you before.

I bet you could still do it and they would act like nothing ever happened. Most vanilla stuff was just not scripted that in-depth.

15. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

They're not actually the ones who send the assassin. They just
    rat you out to the one who does

Our Host!