any way to make a psi PC???? soul blade or mind killer?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by bradrinwi, Sep 30, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. bradrinwi

bradrinwi Established Member

Hi was looking thru the new exanded 3.5 psionics book and wondered if there was a way to script a new char class??

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Not without some MAJOR .dll hack, moebius did a superb job at giving the monk class some reason to go above level 10 - but some of the abillities still don't do anything. Your talking about adding a new character class, a new type of magic, psionic spells, skills, feats, and items?

3. bradrinwi

umm yes, okay so it ws an idea..just wondered if it was possible feats can be copies of magic user feats.. create psi blah for create magic blah.. for external stuff but internal calls the same.. skills likewise can probably borrow and ghost on exisiting skills for most things..(sense motive will become read mind or foresight...)change the external to screen prints.. but internally it could be exactly the same..
    the char class etc was what i saw as hardest...didnt know if it could be done

hmm monks now have 10th +abilities?? cool anyway to find a list of those mods and which ones are still inactive and is anyone doing something about it??

I really liked 1st ed rangers..*now they are druids with swords and more hp... and not all the nifty benefits*1st ed bards.. well what can u say about a char who has gained 15 lvls before becoming part of that class...but always thought the monks needed more..

i guess i asked a lot...
    maybe ill have to learn assemb again.. havent used it since the ibm 370,6502 processor ,8086 and vax and pdp8/11 days..but ill give it a shot..
    just wondered i can think of other things id like more..
    like the prismatic spells..and globe of invulnerablility..

if you cut pasted and did minour editing..on cone of cold,flaming hands(with modified dmg dice.. ) acid fog ,searing light and lightning bolt could all those be linked/cut pasted into a new spell that randomly dealt each target.. one or two of the dmgs???called prismatic spray 7th lvl W/s???

of course id need an artist ..for some cool graphic..

Last edited: Sep 30, 2005
  4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well I tihnk he fiddled flurry of blows, open hand damage, fast movement, diamond soul and ki strike. Look for monk.txt in your dev_history folder (if you have Co8 3.0.4 installed).

32-bit programming is a loooooooooooong way from the 6502, at least it was for me!!! By all means try it!

O and last time psionics came up I asked people if anyone wanted them (just out of curiosity) I think that was the last post on the thread ;)

5. bradrinwi

oh cool found it...

and yeah i know its is very different from 8/16 bit assemb

hmmm now theres information i need if no one wants it..it be a huge waste of time to make it..

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

On the contrary - if you COULD work out how to make a new class, it would be very valuable :)

7. bradrinwi

ill give it a shot the feats and skills can be renamedexisting ones
    only the dlg /prints to screen might need changing..
    at least for the most part

the spells hmm i could cut and paste em from exsiting ones.. renaming some stuff

the big part will be the editing to recognize a new class...of spellscalled"psionics:

and the other big part is of course the char class (hp.... feats gained at x rate...,attbonus at x lvl...etc....if i can figure that out.. making all the accessories for it (the psi spells ,feats ,skills..is mostly gonna be plagurisim at its finest)

any help would be appreciated.. i have a hefty learning curve to decimate as I try to learn an assmbl lang for the first time in 20 yrs..??

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

one thing - the GUI, it might need changing so you have an extra button or 2 for the new class(es) don't know where to start modding that

9. bradrinwi

hmm okay .. maybe agetian might know,

anyone have a break down of what files control whataspects of game play/mechanics.. so i dont have to rediscover fire ..while im about this.

IE.. spellXXX.py is the spell script PYC is the compiled.. and are located here...

XXXXX(name).py are npc scripts...
    and are here...

and btw heres a tutorial for python scripting..

etc

10. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

All python scripts are in a scr folder. The original game ones are in ToEE4.dat (use Zhanes extratctor to get at them). The ones people have modified are in data/scr. If you haven't already extracted the dat files, do so, include ToEE.dat in the modules folder. Look through them. They contain a lot of things, including the GUI files. Some of the stuff in ToEE1-4 are leftovers from Arcanum though, and not used in ToEE.

ShiningTed's blog has a brief tutorial on scripting that is quite informative. Phalzyr's Dialog/Python Commands thread is also informative. You can find it here. Here is a downloadable word document that contains all the dialog/python commands from that thread. I learned all my python from just looking at the scripts themselves. I use Notepad++. I highly recomend it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  11. bradrinwi

thank you very much Im making a"map" of what does what and calls what..
    and the notepad ++ and word with python commands are great helps

tune if for questions as i begin trial runs at a char class

Our Host!