Animated Map Screens

Discussion in 'Maps, Textures, and Graphics' started by Ax Thrower, Mar 22, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Are we able to use animated gifs within the maps or is the game engine unable to use them... if so is the handling of the animation on some of the screens done with scripting??

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I thought that all the animated map effects in game
    are present because they're 3d... Look at the mill
    wheel for example.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

the moving parts are animated static objects. Trees, the mill wheel, butterflies, even the roaches that crawl on the dungeon floor are made this way. I also doubt the engine can even support gifs.

4. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

Allyx... get up with me if you can... I want to try some animation in mapping for the game.. maybe some lava flowing or something. You have been a great resource and my thanks:wavey:

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

well the main menu is an animated map

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I would think the main menu is a static map with a lot of animated objects attached. Certainly the background stuff is in jpgs, I can't see the game recognising a gif (unfortunately).

One thing I seem to remember reading somewhere is you can actually embed sound within jpgs - or was that gifs too?

Lava would be sweet: maybe re-mesh the water? Or use something from the fire node?

7. leahnkain

leahnkain Member

Is there any way to extract these Gif's from the game? Sorry for such a newbie question. Also Axe Thrower, I just sent you a PM.

8. maggit

There are no gifs in the game. The animated objects are 3d.

9. oxhuffbull

oxhuffbull Member

@leahnkain: Are you going to make a ToEE mod? I played Classic Adventures. You and Sir BillyBob rock. Your NPC's are the best. I really want to see Classic Adventures done using the ToEE 3rd ed rules.

10. maggit

From what I know leahnkain is making ToEE for
    Baldur's Gate... not the other way 'round.

11. leahnkain

leahnkain Member

That is correct. I am working on Classic Adventures http://www.ca.spellholdstudios.net/ and trying to reach out to your community. I think because we are both using the old pen and paper modules we can help each other. I am trying my hardest to see what can be included in the BG engine. In return will I happily help your community in anyway I can. We have done the U series, we are working on the slaver series and I am hoping to include the silver princess. Our target is to include the G series and the D series. I am really impressed with what I have seen you all do for ToEE. I am looking forward to playing Keep on the Borderlands again.

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Your copy of Tsojcanth looks like the tournament version. I find that rather interesting. Have you got the general release module? And as long as you're doing G & D, why not Q? I know, I know...first things first!

13. leahnkain

leahnkain Member

It waqs really hard fing my tournament version. I have all three printed versions. We are trying to include the first printings...we hope to share the Classic DnD with a new generation. The Q series will be included as well. Our setback will be maps for some of the modules.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  14. leahnkain

leahnkain Member

I forgot to ask, do you need a copy of either version?

Also I am in need of help. I am trying to get the animated static objects (like the trees for Nulb.) Can anyone help me?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The animated trees are embedded into the .sec files for your map (I assume your modding with the ToEE engine) you can use ToEEWB (world builder) to do that, they would also need to be sectored (flagged un-passable) otherwise you'd be able to walk through the trunks.

Our Host!