Ambush after clearing moathouse

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by NoxNoctum, Oct 8, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. NoxNoctum

NoxNoctum Member

Ok so I'm just curious, why do Zert and the Monk guy attack you? Is it explained more later in the game? It was all very vague when they were giving their "reasons". If it's a spoiler or anything though don't tell me ;)

2. silo25

silo25 Established Member

and they always speak to you like you know them, even if you never talked to them at the inn

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

But if you talk to them at the inn, it all seems to fit together pretty well, especially if your faceman is a Pally.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think it's safe to assume they know of you, even if you never speak to them at the inn. You're probably not the only one Ostler's wife sells rumors to. :p

5. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

What happens if they are in your party?

6. Gaear

Nothing.

7. silo25

silo25 Established Member

its my story G man lol, but yea your right. maybe have a story line were one of your 2 possible wives shut her up lol

8. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I've still to play a TN party with the NC but so far only LE parties aren't attacked after clearing the moathouse the first time around.

9. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

You know the requirements for the Moathouse ambush have been listed in gazra's guide >_>

10. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

Update to this:

It is comical,but it works everytime I try.

After the Lareth battle you are usually weakened and loaded up with items,and in 7.4 you can't just sneak out another exit-ambush happens each exit.

So...I use non lethal on Lareth alone or otherwise,then strip him and leave to sell all the armour etc,rest,return and kill him,then the ambush is triggered whilst a fresher party. The option is try to rest and get random encounters,but you need to organise the loot or lose it on the bodies-chest inside and drawer you can use to store them.

Hope this helps?

11. Gaear

Interesting, if still a meta-gaming solution. By necessity, most of this stuff is written for the first time player, so I suppose that, knowing you're going to be ambushed, there are a variety of workarounds like this for the clever player to avoid it.

12. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

First time I had this fight, I was pretty beaten up post Lareth et al, and worse still I realised as the fight broke out that my last save was before the Lareth fight. Fortunately I had come out through the secret door of the ground floor level of the moathouse (I think I'd gone to collect some loot from the bandit chief), which has a narrow wooden bridge between the door and where the ambush spawned, meaning my one remaining grease spell was able to keep me relatively safe. All the same it was a close run thing and I ended with a couple of players unconscious. All in all a very enjoyable fight, fought for high stakes. If fully rested and healed it's pretty easy and not half as much fun. Same with men in Lincoln Green, whom I first met when out of healing spells and low on firepower.

13. sirchet

My PnP group is going through the moat house and we were able to spike all the doors leading into a room and rest, now wouldn't that be a trip back to PnP days if we could pull something like that off in the cRPG.

A door opening towards you and a handful of spikes = good place to rest? :p

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  14. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Door spiking, breakable doors and burning oil flasks. Those were the days.

15. sirchet

Still are, grab your die and head on over to Fantasy Grounds, we are always in need of players!

pm me if you want specifics. ;)

Our Host!