A slight problem with Otis

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Royal Canadian, Jul 10, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    Just a quick note about Otis.
    A.) If I remember the PnP version correctly, he's a 10th Ranger, here is a 10th Level Fighter.
    B.) He's missing one Feat. By my count he should have 11 Feats as a 10th Level Fighter, but he only has 10. The Feats he has are:
    Alertness
    Cleave
    Great Cleave
    Improved Initiative
    Point Blank Shot
    Precise Shot
    Power Attack
    Rapid Shot
    Toughness
    Combat Reflexes

He should have received 3 Feats at 1st Level {1 + 1(Human) + 1(Fighter)
    He should have received 1 Feat at 2nd Level ( Fighter )
    He should have received 1 Feat at 3rd Level
    He should have received 1 Feat at 4th Level (Fighter)
    He should have received 2 Feats at 6th Level {1 + 1(Fighter)}
    He should have received 1 Feat at 8th Level (Fighter)
    He should have received 1 Feat at 9th Level
    He should have received 1 Feat at 10th Level (Fighter)

The Royal Canadian

2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Maybe he spent one on Skill Focus: Crafting.

3. The Royal Canadian

Hi G. G.
    No he didn't. I wrote down every feat that Otis had, and "Skill Focus: Crafting" was not listed. In fact there is no such feat. If I had to pick the Feat to "close the hole" I would probably go with Either "Weapon Focus" (either Longsword or Long Bow: my personal preference would be Long Bow) on "Improved Critical Hit" (again either Long Bow or Long Sword, with Long Bow being my preference).

The Royal Cnadian

4. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

There is no such feat in the video game, but in the P&P there is, how else would he be able to make such fine weapons and armor with any magical crafting.

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

There are only 10 slots in protos for feats, so the max is 10 feats. If you have ProtoEd or WorldBuilder you can change them and put in the ones you like.
    He has really good stats but no shield if he's using the +2Longsword and his AC isn't so good. He got clobbered in the temple. Good thing he has a lot hit points. He's a "tank" kind of guy. He needs platemail and a AC4 shield.
    In 1stEd pnp a ranger could have metal armor but not in 3.5, so they made him and Elmo fighters so they could keep their armor and AC. Both would be excellent rangers. If they could wear mithralplate, but the rules guru's would have to decide that. As I understand it, converting them to rangers would be a major project/hassle, if possible at all.

6. The Royal Canadian

Hi WG
    That explains it. Thanks for the info. I don't really think it's necessary to "Mod" Otis.
    To be honest, I hardly ever use him, but I am doing a test to see what it will be like
    to run a party of three PCs (plus Meleny) in the future Co8 v6 (no Hickory Branch, Verbobonc, etc.. until after you have killed Z.) and decided I needed a little extra short term firepower (He helped me clean out the Temple Tower and rescue Prince Thrommel).
    The Royal Canadian

7. wizgeorge

Yeah, Otis is pretty strong as is and he can pickup a good shield along the way. He makes a great tank if you need one.

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I think Orion managed to make a ranger Elmo in his mod. Vanilla starts adding ranks of Ranger at 5+ doesn't it?

9. wizgeorge

Elmo can levelup as a ranger and gets all the ranger feats and stuff. He gets to keep his chainmail because his base class is fighter. I don't know the rules, but the game allows it. A pure ranger from the start can't use metal armor, but can use chainshirt and mithral shirt. Can't use the elven chainmail either. I got the red border box and can't use this thing. I guess you could start with a fighter and levelup ranger after that. I think the game only looks at the initial base class to determine such things. Ater leveling up a few times, I consoled in mithral plate, blue elven chain, and Elmo could use them all. Maybe the trick is to start fighter and levelup ranger to get the good armor. This is shakey and needs some testing. Ranger fans might want to try it.

10. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Although multiclassed Elmo/Otis would be able to wear medium armor, their combat style feats would be unusable.

Our Host!