A little bag of nasty bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Goreng, Aug 1, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Goreng

Goreng Member

After to have restart my current game because of CMF install, everything was going right until I got almost in a row some nasty bugs :

1 - Missing secret doors
    I saw various thread about it, overall no solution, one suggestion uninstall everything including savegame and reinstall. It's still the same advise?

In fact I got a variant of this bug, auto detected and saw icons of the secret doors just after combat ending. Once in upper level for the door leading outside. Another time for the ladder behind a pannel. Both time I quite the places to rest and other stuff and came back later to see no more icons and no chance to have them back by searching. I also tried to go to the secret door from outside, a place where I hadn't explored yet in this game. And no way to detect this one.

I get back to savegame just before entering moathouse then proceed differently, firstly explored outside to find the outside secret door. Find it this time saved when I was near of it, and apply few voodoo trick, like put the pointer over the icon, get elsewhere, come back and saw the door revealed still here and save again in another slot (in fact always another slot to follow advices I read here).

Then for the 2 secret doors inside I applied some more voodoo trick, first mimics the behaviour of the first party I made without to have the problem. And take care to not involves my elf rogue near the secret doors during battles. Take care to open the pannel before bring my rogue elf near to to this secret door. Put the pointer over the icon of the revealed ladder/stairs, save, get elswhere and come back to see if they are still here. At the end I had the 4 doors revealed in the first 2 levels of moathouse and outside.

But during the replay I end with the battle with the chief brigand (mimic first play) and had Tokuro dead. Then I met the second nasty bug :

2 - Dead companion invisible and stick in party after resurrect
    I also saw thread about this and no solution, did I read well?

I tried various things but that always ended in this problem just after the resurrect dialog close.

During those various replay I also met back the unpleasant touch spells becoming long range :

3 - Touch spells become long range spells
    I got this one back, always saved on new slot, I can garanty this save new slot trick doesn't avoid those 3 nasty bugs.

All of that got me tired and sad about ToEE, allmost all CRPG I played had unpleasant nasty bugs even after the final patch, but none I really played cumulate some so nasty. :dead:

2. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

1. Some touch spells are supposed to be ranged. Which ones did you use?

2. Secret doors bug may occur if you have your antivirus on. It's strange but
    antivirus software blocks some of ToEE's processes.

3. The dead companion thing is really disturbing. It probably has to do with
    the fact that you can only ressurect a companion up to a certain amount of
    time after he died. When you came back to Hommlet his body disappeared
    as would other bodies, when laying on the ground for too long... Don't know
    if that can be fixed soon. It may require a dll hack. :(

3. Goreng

Goreng Member

Touch spell ranged? Well I quote it for heal spells but also for a few other, I bet it's more that I remember less well which spells other than healing are touch spells. Once I quote healing spell became long range, I think that all clerc and druid spelling for all my chars are long range, not sure for magic spells.

From previous plays with other party, I saw this bug comes and last some times, then sometimes disappear, and eventually come back later.

Yes I have one but I don't feel ok to deactivate it. Thanks for the suggestion. In theory I have the history of any action made by the antivirus and I see nothing, but I imagine that only its presence and action without to forbid anything could have an effect on very sensible software.

Not sure the analysis is right. I had a save just after the combat ending so after to have see the bug I get back from here and tried again with no result. Also until dead I continue to see the corpse laying on the ground on every place I go and can pick items in his inventory. Also when during the resurrect dialog the resurrect is done I see it raise up and visible until the dialog continue and become invisible just after the end of the dialog.

Once invisible I can continue to use his inventory, I tried change his wearing with no effect.

Perhaps try a detect invisibility? :D

Thanks for the answers, it's cool to get last updates.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

The secret door bug is a real pain. Sadly, there still isn't any real reason which emerges for it appearing nor any real fix once it occurs. At least no fix which doesn't involve playing the 'reinstall game'. :dead:

5. maggit

About that touch spells. It's a known bug. It's causes are
    unknown... but I noticed it happens often in the moathouse,
    and may have something to do with sectoring (my theory :p).

One more thing about Resurrection, that's really strange... maybe
    someone should have a look at the spell's script?

Thirdly, I know that turning off antivirus software may be suicidal,
    but it really helps... and you don't really need to be connected to
    the net while playing game which has no multiplayer mode. ;)
    ToEE doesn't like when antivirus software scans through its files
    while it's running (and most AV do scan files which are used by
    the computer in real time), it's scripts are very vulnerable to corruption
    that's why it's advised to turn it off. You can always leave your firewall
    running. ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  6. Zebedee

I still recommend sacrificing goats instead of chickens as part of the installation process. :google:

More seriously, it does seem that the resectoring work has reduced some bugs quite a lot, even if they aren't quite eliminated.

How would touch spells be effected by sectoring? I know nothing about this so I'm going to pick your brains before more goats get the chop ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2007
  7. maggit

Sectoring's got to do with where the characters can walk on maps, does it?
    If something's wrong with it it also may be causing the game to calculate
    the distance between characters wrong... Just a thought though... (and even
    far fetched)

8. Goreng

Goreng Member

Ha well this time I'll try use my chance, crossing fingers, knocking wood, launch some salt above my shoulders, if practiced each time before to play that should work! :)

The point is that I had a save right before entering the moudhouse and by replaying since this point with a lot of voodoo I succeed get a game where all secret doors at the beginning are ok (The door outside, the door stairs in first level leading to ogre, the door behind the panel in second level, the door leading outside to outside secret door seems not secret for me, in this game, perhaps it's because I found first the outside secret door.

About the touch spells becoming long range, I have the feeling that the inn is a nasty area, just got it there despite I didn't yet for the current series of save (after a back because of resurrect pbme). I try get back just before to see.

Well not fully my computer so I prefer not tempt demons! I doubt my antivirus constantly scan, it's a crap. But for sure it interupt many actions and do some analysis.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  9. Zebedee

Could well be a cause. We'd need to find a map which hasn't been resectored where the bug crops up fairly frequently to check I guess.

--------

@Goreng - you're learning :) Welcome to ToEE, where vodoo gives you as much chance as avoiding bugs as anything else ;)

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Touch spells: the 'long reach' cure wounds spells effect has long been known in ToEE, but I'm not aware of any other touch spell problems.

Secret doors: it should be noted that the stairway in the column on the lower level of the moathouse (by the zombies) seems to be distinctly bugged; it's disappearance can occur separate from getting the 'all secret doors and stairs disappear' bug.

11. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

It seems that secret door only pops up after you go down the one from the upper floor. Every time I go down there without going down the secret stairs, I can't find it. That one's no big deal for me. And besides, I haven't seen that bug in awhile now. (knocking on wood)

The main bug I'm experiencing lately is the Temple 4th level hallway trap that opens like a chest.

12. Zebedee

Not sure whether that's a bug or not. You should be able to open it with a highly trained rogue type character. Alternatively, have a look on the CMF thread for a fix by me which fixes the alternative solution which Liv intended but wasn't working as intended. You'll need to follow usual rules for using fixes from CMF thread ie delete .pyc files and possibly even change maps.

13. Goreng

Goreng Member

Myself I always found this secret ladder without to go down. That was after to have open the panel. I found it once just after a battle before to open the panel then quit the area and when I came back it has disappeared but I was in a secret sequence problem with other secrets impossible to find.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Keep in mind that that 'secret ladder' thingy moves you across a map, rather than to a new map. So yes, it would be setup differently.

Our Host!