A couple of doubts (Tab button and fonts)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Litmanen, Jun 11, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. Litmanen

Litmanen Member

Hello to everyone,

I'm new here. I'm Italian so, please, excuse me for my typos and bad english.

I'm playing to Temple of Elemental Evil for the first time. I knew it was really bugged so I installed the latest version of Co8 Mod (New Content edition) AND Temple+.
    I know they are compatible with each other.

But I still have some problems (and I know I'll have several more):

1) When I try to use the TAB button, nothing happens. I'm not able to "show every usable object/shelf" in the area I'm staying. What's the problem?

2) Fonts. In Temple+ FAQ, the author explains a way to modify Fonts (create "ovverrides" folder, then put "Fonts" folder in it, modify them). I wasn't able to do so. Or, better, I did it, but nothing changed.

Do you have any idea?

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Can you go into further detail on what you did with the fonts?

3. Litmanen

Litmanen Member

Oooh, "Mister Temple+"!!!

Very nice to meet you! I didn't remember your correct nickname (neither the one on Moddb).

I just picked the folder "fonts" from the Temple+ folder in "User/Appdata/local etc etc", put it in a newly created folder "overrides" in the Toee folder (in my laptot is just C:Atari/Temple of Elemental Evil).

i saw there were two different mapping.json files, one with just one kind of Font (yhe main file, I presumed), the other with several "templates" for Fonts. I tried to put sevearl of them in the "main" mapping.json file, substituting the older ones. Nothing happened.

Or, better, just few things changed: the dialogue box and fonts are the same, just changed some button like "Save, Loas, Barter".

I hope I've been quite "understandable"

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I don't know much about Temple+'s inner workings, but the Tab button will show a bright outline around doors, chests, lootable items etc... some are ridiculously small, I'd suggest tapping the Tab button repeatedly so the items flash to make them easier to spot.

Your English is easilly good enough to read, unlike another Italian member from years ago that I could mention.

5. Sitra Achara

Ok so something did change.
    With Co8, the main fonts you'd want to replace are arial-12 and priory-12. Have you tried remapping those? They should be in the template file.

6. Litmanen

Litmanen Member

Thank you (for the English).

Yeah, I noticed (during the night) that TAB is actually working as you said. Not very useful, as it works, but at least it works.

Probably I didn't get very well your instructions in the FAQ (let me say they are not really clear :p )

In the mapping.json file there is just one kind of Font. In the other one, there are several fonts. If I just modify the mapping.json, there will be changes only on the buttons, as I said. Or do I have to put more than one font in the mapping.json?

There are no different fonts for buttons and dialogues.

7. Litmanen

Litmanen Member

Ok, I got it. I didn't realize that every single line was related to a different part of the game.

Now, I put every single line I needed in the mapping.json

I had a "runtime error" that, afetr a while, I figured out was because of the "]" at the end of the file.

Now, Everything is fine. I just have to modify it a little bit better! Thank you!

Attached Files:

8. Litmanen

Litmanen Member

Did it! Now it's perfect with a 1360*766 resolution. Goodbye blindness!

9. Sitra Achara

Glad you got it going. Obviously just changing the font to a larger one isn't ideal because the UI itself doesn't scale, but I guess it's better than nothing.
    Unfortunately replacing the major GUIs is a big time consuming pain in the ass. I guess after I'm done with the Blender stuff I'll continue with it (have already started on the townmap and dialogue UIs, but am nowhere near done).

If you have suggestions for improvement on the font FAQ I'm all ears.

10. Litmanen

Litmanen Member

I see. I'm completely unaware of these things (UI and modding), but I'm sure it's not an easy task.

Anyway, in your FAQ you state:

Q. The fonts are very small in high resolution!

A. You can tweak font sizes. Go to

C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Local\TemplePlus\app-1.x.xx\tpdata\

Copy the fonts folder to
    [TOEE FOLDER]\overrides\
    And tweak the file mapping.json. There's an example file newfonts_mapping.json that replaces all the fonts. Be aware that some text might spill over if you enlarge it too much.

1) I think you should explain that "overrides" folder must be created anew. It's easy to understand, but we're living in a very tough historical moment.

2) "Tweak the file mapping.json". I think you NEED to explain the expression "tweak the file"

3) You NEED to explain there are obviously several in game fonts and that each one in the second folder is needed for something different

4) Explain that in the mapping.json file you can add whichever font you need (i.e. more than one) in order to modify whatever you want

Obviously, these are just my ideas and you really already did a HUGE work. I'm grateful fo everything you did, even in this thread!

I'm here for any other "suggestion".

Our Host!