[8.1.0 NC] Alignment-Based Weaponry and Negative Levels

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, Feb 20, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Greetings, all!

Based on preliminary testing, alignment-based weaponry (Axiomatic, Anarchic, Holy, and Unholy) weapons do not bestow any negative levels upon their wielder, regardless of alignment. (In tabletop, a character of opposing alignment, like a Lawful Good character wielding an +1 Anarchic Crossbow, would get a negative level.) This is contrary to tabletop. (Holy Weapon Property - Example)

This means you can have CG characters in your party wielding Scather and +1 Holy Axiomatic weapons at the same time with no ill effects!

Please confirm or deny from other sources.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

How are you checking if the negative level has been applied? I believe if you equip and then unequip you will notice a difference in your HP max. It will not tell you "Negative Level Applied".

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  3. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I was using first level characters to hold alignment-based weapons who got access to these weapons due to party members crafting them. (The crafters used console commands to level them up.)

I didn't see any HP reduction for the level 1 lad, nor was he instantly slain as I expected.

4. Comrade Bingo

Comrade Bingo Member

I tested quickly with the Holy ranseur. I used console to change my alignment to Evil: the HP decreased by 5; Saves and Attack decreased by 1.

However, I did not lose one slot of highest memorized Wizard spells as it should. Possibly because I have one level of Ranger and it ''removes'' a slot from my empty Ranger spell list?

5. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Try it with 2nd level characters, and check the max hit points. I suspect trying to apply a negative level to a 1st level character might have no effect.

6. Comrade Bingo

Comrade Bingo Member

When I equip the Holy ranseur on an Evil 1st level character they die (HP goes to -10). I didn't check with other alignment-based enhancement, but it should do the same.

The item has to be equipped, not just held in the inventory by the way.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
Our Host!