2D Map Discombobulator (splitter/recombiner) v0.75 beta [WIP]

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Agetian, Apr 9, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hey,

I remember that I promised to create a 2D area map splitter/recombiner tool long ago, so I actually started working on it when I have some spare time. So far I was able to create a beta of it that is able to create an image file from the 256x256 JPGs that the game uses to store 2D areas. It can also split the created image back into 256x256 chunks so the game can use it. I don't know how useful this tool is right now (when the clipping format is unknown), but I'm sure that it'll prove to be useful later on. Anyhow, you can load any map into Photoshop/Paint Shop Pro/whatever and edit it, and then bring it back to game.

If anyone can test this thing I'd appreciate that.

ALSO, if someone wants to imitate clipping right now he can try using some invisible and impassable protos (adding them to the map via scripting or the toee mod studio).

P.S. I don't know why I called it the "Map Discombobulator". I know it's a weird name, but it works. :)

P.P.S. The thing requires .NET Framework v1.1.

EDIT: There is a bug in the current version that makes the splitter crash with an "out of memory" error when used on very big maps (such as Map-2-Hommlet-Exterior). I'll see if I can fix it. Also, note that recombining huge maps (Map-2-Hommlet-Exterior and the like) can take a long time to perform, about 15-20 minutes. Splitting is also a slow process, so be patient.

UPDATED TO V0.75:
    -------------------

- Added support for both "z4" and "z8" minimaps.
    - Fixed a severe bug that caused improper rebuilding of very small maps.

- Agetian

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  2. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

In case no one noticed, I've updated the Discombobulator to v0.75. If anyone has downloaded the program before the update, please redownload (the fix in this release is critical).

P.S. Consult the new readme, it has some new things inside.

- Agetian

Our Host!