2 handed katana

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kadekawa, Oct 6, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kadekawa

Kadekawa Member

is it possible to mod into the game a 2 handed katana

2. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

Yes, it's entirely possible. But you would have to use Greatswords as its proficiency, most probably. I wonder, though, if there's a way to make it so that it uses bastard swords or long swords as a proficiency.

Maybe one of th other guys has found out how.

3. Kadekawa

Kadekawa Member

Thanks for the response Exitium.

It looks like all you have to do is alter the weapon size on the
    protos.tab.

Now should the Katana be classified as a bastard sword or should it still be classified as a long sword and do you think with possible scripting you could switch between using the sword
    1 or 2 handed? Which of course would require exotic weapons prof.

oh well at least I can hold my sword with 2 hands now

4. Toshi

Toshi Member

Attached is my Protos.tab in zip format. Extract the enclosed Protos.tab file to your /%Greyhawk%/data/rules directory. There have been 2 changes (and only 2 changes) to this .tab:

1) Katana Sword has been adjusted closer to v3.5 standard:
    a. Damage 1d10
    b. Bastard Sword Class - 1 or 2 handed operations (not animated), Exotic proficiency required.

2) Masterwork Katana Sword has been adjusted closer to v3.5 standards:
    a. Damage 1d10
    b. Bastard Sword Class - 1 or 2 handed operations (not animated), Exotic proficiency required.

Unfortunately, the animations for the Katana are set and do not seem to be effected by setting their item type. Even when classed as a great sword it is animated as a 1 handed weapon.

Katanas in 3.5 are treated as masterwork bastard swords if my interprutations are correct. See the v3.5 DMG for more information.

**Warning** - If an existing save game character has a Katana, you may find yourself fighting poorly with it after this mod. This is because I have changed the Katana to an exotic weapon as per the 3.5 DMG. You will want to add Exotic: Bastard Sword to your character ASAP. Technically it should be Exotic: Katana, but such proficiency does not exist at present, so bastard is the current placeholder and at a very simple level is the closest approximation to the Katana.

No lectures please, I am just using Bastard Proficiency since it is a unique/different blade to wield (weight, balance) and is a Hand and a Half sword. A Katana meets these criterion as well.

Props to Co8 for helping the community with this great mod, toolset, and forums. If someone from Co8 could email regarding working on some other projects and lending what skills I have to the cause, I would be greatful. Email: Toshi AT ret-guild DOT net

- T

5. Kadekawa

Kadekawa Member

Thanks for the info Toshi. I did the same thing with my katana before hand with the bastard sword classification but you can have the two handed animation by simply changing the sword size to large in the protos.tab

6. Toshi

Toshi Member

Nice tag team on that one bro.

I was a little concerned that going large Model would strip the whole 2handed used one handed or Hand a Half thing, but I guess type Bastard Sword preserves that regardless of Weapon size.

/salute

- T

7. Kadekawa

Kadekawa Member

/cheer for Toshi

heres another question for ya -
    what should the stats be for the 2 handed katana
    Im getting some different numbers off the net

this is probably the most accurate one
    2d6 19-20/x2

heres the official stats from oriental adventures
    --------------------------------------------------------
    katana 400 gp 1d10 19-20/x2 6lbs. Slashing

the katana is a masterwork bastard sword that grants a +1 bonus on your attack rolls.....Like a bastard sword, the katana can only be used in one hand by a character with Exotic Weapon Proficiency (katana) feat....among the Rokugan, only Dragons routinely use their katanas one-handed.

doesnt give the stats for holding it 2 hand ???

8. Kadekawa

Kadekawa Member

ack double post

9. Toshi

Toshi Member

Being some what braindead, I loaned out my 3.5 DMG last night. If my notes are right, check page 144 of the DMG for the WoTC Katana rules.

If my notes are wrong, /ignore Toshi. I will get my books back and confirm when I get the chance.

IMO 1d10 + 1.5* STR bonus is MORE than fair. Anything more than that and we might have a game genie on our hands. Especially in our gaming group where we us a "house rule" and bring weapon size/speed/frontage into account on initiative checks. Meaning that a Katana is faster than say agreat sword and might let the Katana user go first on a tie when using an attack action, it's from the hip but it adds flavour and makes sense in some situations.

- T

10. Berkut

Berkut Member

I don't recall exact numbers from 3.5, but would have to agree on 1d10 being more suitable just from RL weapon point of view. Going with 2d6 is more like jumping into Odachi/Nodachi (aka HUGE 2h Katana, but rare because in 1400’s there were laws in Japan restricting sword size) category....

Thanks guys for good ideas and efforts... It's great to have a nice alternative weapon to bastard sword in TOEE. :)

11. Torm

Torm Member

Hey guys,

Saw the post and wanted to do the exact same thing. I have a few questions tho

How did you modify the file?

Which entry does the katana fall under?

browsing through protos.tab basically shows weapons of a certain class(i.e. longsword, greatsword) If you could pass along the info that would be great.

Also, Toshi, in your post you mention that you attached your protos.tab file in zip, yet i can't download it.

I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out but i think 2 handed katanas would be coo

12. Toshi

Toshi Member

I will get off my arse and post 2 mods today:

1) New Proto.tab with Katana doing 3.5 DMG Damage - uses One Handed In-Game Model for prettier critical strikes.

2) New Proto.tab with Katana doing 3.5 DMG Damage - uses Two-Handed In-Game Model for more realistic wielding and normal strikes.

Look for details in this thread and possibly another later.

- T

13. Toshi

Toshi Member

Toshi's Katana v1.0 Mod

Toshi's Katana Mod v1.0

This modification changes the functionality of the Katana swords, introduced by your friends at Co8 in their 1.0.0 patch.

Summary of Changes
    • Damage Adjusted to 1d10 /19-20x2
    • Damage used is v3.5 standard as per the DMG
    • Katana now uses Exotic Weapon Proficiency to mirror rules listed in 3.5 DMG
    • One-Handed or Two-Handed wielding style available
    • Mod test up to 6th level - Enchantment and Customization of the Katana with Craft Skills appears to remain unchanged and is working as intended

Katana Rules Description
    • The Katana damage has been adjusted to the damage and critical range values listed in the 3.5 DMG. 1d10 / 19-20 x2
    • Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword is now required for the Katana to be wielded normally.
    • Bastard Sword proficiency was used as it was the closest approximation to the Katana sword in the available list of proficiencies - Please no arm chair fencers, "sword-smiths", or know it alls - If you don't like it, don't download it.

Mod Notes and Advisories
    • There are two separate Protos.tab in the zip archive - a One-Handed version and Two-Handed version of the Katana sword.
    • Backup your existing Protos.tab - you should have one if you installed Co8 v1.0.0. If you have not installed Co8 v1.0.0, WTF is wrong with you man!?!? Go Get it!
    • Extract the Protos.tab you wish to use to your /%Greyhawk%/data/rules/ folder. You should backup for existing Protos.tab before hand.
    • The One-Handed version of the Katana Mod is wielded similar to a Longsword and uses the One-Handed sword critical animation. On a critical strike the character model does a jumping-turning-downward slash on the target. This animation is especially sweet on a downed/prone opponent and marries well with the Improved Trip feat. This version allows you to dual-wield your Katana, which may or may not be cheese, but is an option all the same.
    • The Two-Handed version of the Katana Mod is wielded in both hands (really Toshi?). This is probably the more "realistic" version of the mod. This version has the more consistent/believable normal strikes. I personally dislike the critical animation for this version. On a Critical Strike, the wielder pulls the sword over his head, rears back, land leans into the target - similar to my 1/2 Ork Barbarian with his Two-Handed Hammer. This version does not permit dual wielding of the sword (I never DW a Katana, it's just personal preference in my pursuit of anti-Dritz and/or anti-cheese).
    • WARNING - After installing either version of the mod, any character you have wielding a Katana may suck in melee with it. That is because the sword now requires Exotic: Bastard Sword to function at normal efficiency
    • Why Bastard Sword? - I used the Exotic:Bastard Sword Proficiency since it is a unique/different blade to wield (weight, balance) and is a Hand and a Half sword. A Katana meets these criterion as well. It is the proficiency available in-game that mimics the Katana IMO. Making the Katana a martial weapon is unbalancing for me, as it there would be nothing to counter or balance the improved damage and elegance of the sword. Instead of the Katana being a unique roleplaying tools to add panache, it would quickly become the Flavor of the month sword and put me to sleep with 1000's of pre-pubecent elf lovers acting out their Dritz fantasies with a better sword. (Yes, I HATE DRITZ, don't email me about it :p )

If someone wants to add a feat for Katana Proficiency, please get with me, but until then, Bastard Sword shall suffice.

Props to Co8 for gathering, organizing, and sponsoring the mod community. Without their efforts, tools, and positive energy, mods like this one probably would not happen and certainly would not get noticed.

If anyone needs to contact me, you may do so using the contact information on the website.

Download Toshi's Katana Mod v1.0: http://toee.ret-guild.net

Last edited: Oct 7, 2003
Our Host!